Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I ride a 2017 AT that I am enjoying immensely. I also have a brother-in-law who rides a 2018 Harley Fatboy. We were doing some spec comparisons while having a few drinks. One thing we found was the Harley has a 25 degree lean angle. While I fully understand that these are two entirely different beasts, I was unable to find anything on the AT lean angle. Does anyone know what it is? This is purely academic and only for conversations over scotch:)

Regards

·
Registered
119 Posts
How is the lean angle defined on the Harley? Before the pegs scrape?
It would be hard to define exactly for any bike, as the lean angle before the pegs scrape will depend mostly on how compressed the suspension is.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Here's a good video that describes normal riders and MotoGP.

Reactions: RallyX

·
Registered
130 Posts
25 degrees isn't very much. The AT will easily lean 45 or 50 degrees before there is any chance of dragging parts on the road.
On the Harley they HAVE to tell the owner about the lean angle - as a disclaimer.
Basically telling the new owner not to try lean over very far. Hard parts will drag, rider may crash.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are scraping the pegs cornering on an AT you are probably dragging an ear also. On a Harley it's the butt cheek.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, the lean angles on XLs are near 40 degrees, due to their high clearance (for a road bike) and narrow engine. Because of this, and the motor's monstrous torque, I think an ADV bike utilising that mill would be a real winner. Put long travel suspension and a 21 inch front tyre on a stock Iron, and you would have a **** of a bike. Buell tried it with the Ulysses...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts