Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Anyone used these on their Africa Twin or think they may be suitable with an adequate mount conversion? (from the pictures, even a sticky 3M gopro pad would work) Don't think it's a good idea to put on the forks but for £169, if these are decent and proven, could be a good alternative to the much more expensive Denali, givi etc. I'm not so interested in having more light, but rather in having people see me more and see the width of the bike (will probably mount on my givi crash bars.
Thanks in advance,

https://www.zenoverland.com/product...-led-lighting-kit-all-ktm-husqvarna-enduro-mx

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a lot of money for what you're buying. general day-to-day running lights, that i presume you want to be always on with the headlamp.

i would start with these people, https://www.bikevis.com
Thanks Motobiker. I guess I was comparing to Denali etc but true that those are more massive flood lights than running lights. I bought the Acerbis vision led which shouldn’t look too bad and that will be my first option, although I think quality and waterproof ness might be an issue after a while. Picture found online below as I haven’t installed yet

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had some Led light put on. I bought them on ali express with switch independent. Work great at least I can know see at night.

Cheers
Thanks DJJ. Are those the GOLDRUNWAY lights? Which model exactly? How was it to wire them to the AT? Did you connect to a PC( or directly into the headlights? I saw on some BMW forums that the connectors were a bit of a mixed bag but overall the people are happy with the quality and very bright light.

Merci bien :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have the Denali LEDs on my AT. They are terrific. They have a mix of flood and longer range lights (50/50) and are extremely bright, even in the daylight.
I wouldn't want them up too high or you'd constantly be blinding oncoming traffic - I actually point mine slightly down to avoid that.
The Zen Overland ones seem to be in keeping with the price of higher end LED lights.
For smaller conspicuity lights it may be worth considering the Denali DM 2.0 or something like the Skene Photon Blasters (small and bright).

Thanks Motobiker. I guess I was comparing to Denali etc but true that those are more massive flood lights than running lights. I bought the Acerbis vision led which shouldn’t look too bad and that will be my first option, although I think quality and waterproof ness might be an issue after a while. Picture found online below as I haven’t installed yet

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Denali LEDs on my AT. They are terrific. They have a mix of flood and longer range lights (50/50) and are extremely bright, even in the daylight.
I wouldn't want them up too high or you'd constantly be blinding oncoming traffic - I actually point mine slightly down to avoid that.
The Zen Overland ones seem to be in keeping with the price of higher end LED lights.
For smaller conspicuity lights it may be worth considering the Denali DM 2.0 or something like the Skene Photon Blasters (small and bright).
I love the Denali D4's but they're like £350 here so much more than I'm willing to spend on that sadly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want great conspicuity lights during day and night and great fog and wide-angled driving lights at night, I highly recommend Rigid Industries DOT Dually led lights with the optional Amber covers. I have them on my NC700X and I love the brightness and help seeing things in the road margins I'd rather avoid hitting. New D2 Pros look amazing if you alternator puts out enough amps. Great price. Warning: website sucks. Get them elsewhere, such as Black Dog Cycle Works. They sell specific motorcycle mounts, so you know it will all fit. Helpful crew.

·
Registered
445 Posts
One more alternative for LED lights are the Koso Aurora (https://www.kosoeurope.com/en/light...29/koso-aurora-led-fog-light-black-e-approved).
They are fog-lights, thus wide beam, E-approved, honest price for what you get I believe. I'm using them as daylight running lights mainly.
I've mounted them on a Denali light mount bar (under the main lights) and connected them to the front option connector using the OEM fog light switch so it looks like an OEM installation (even with the fog light signal on the dashboard).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rate these, they are very effective and come in at about £100. I also point my down as they are so bright. The cheaper Bike Vis ones that stick on are also effective for being seen.
I would start with Bikevis

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more alternative for LED lights are the Koso Aurora (https://www.kosoeurope.com/en/light...29/koso-aurora-led-fog-light-black-e-approved).
They are fog-lights, thus wide beam, E-approved, honest price for what you get I believe. I'm using them as daylight running lights mainly.
I've mounted them on a Denali light mount bar (under the main lights) and connected them to the front option connector using the OEM fog light switch so it looks like an OEM installation (even with the fog light signal on the dashboard).
Thanks Deltabi.
I would be very interested to hear how you connected them to the OEM fog light switch. I want to do this for my bike too but don't really understand how you fit the connectors to each other to be able to use the light switch.
I'll be installing the 12v socket, subharness and the fog light switch at the same time as the fog lights. If you have pictures or an easy explanation (for beginners) that would be amazing. I've figured our how to wire the 12v and subharness in, but not sure where the light switch will come in and how that'll interact with the fog light wires.
Any help much appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks Deltabi.
I would be very interested to hear how you connected them to the OEM fog light switch. I want to do this for my bike too but don't really understand how you fit the connectors to each other to be able to use the light switch.
I'll be installing the 12v socket, subharness and the fog light switch at the same time as the fog lights. If you have pictures or an easy explanation (for beginners) that would be amazing. I've figured our how to wire the 12v and subharness in, but not sure where the light switch will come in and how that'll interact with the fog light wires.
Any help much appreciated, thanks
The light in the dashboard will come on if you connect the wire "exiting" from the switch (the one that will go to the lights) to the blue/black wire in the OEM option connector behind the instrument cluster. See attached image; sorry about italian captions, I've translated relevant parts. Please ignore the upper right part of the diagram, I've also connected my TomTom Rider GPS.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The light in the dashboard will come on if you connect the wire "exiting" from the switch (the one that will go to the lights) to the blue/black wire in the OEM option connector behind the instrument cluster. See attached image; sorry about italian captions, I've translated relevant parts. Please ignore the upper right part of the diagram, I've also connected my TomTom Rider GPS.

Grazie mille Deltabi, c'è molto gentile :)

I'll just have to figure out now what all the lines and dots mean :p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grazie mille Deltabi, c'è molto gentile /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'll just have to figure out now what all the lines and dots mean /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
Line = wire
Dot = junction point between wires

May I suggest you to seek some friend's help?
Haha thanks Deltabi. I’m not that bad actually, I do know the basics of circuitry for the lines and dots but I was wondering more about for example your light on the diagram with the short wire that connects to the light with the long wire. I assume that’s to show you’ve spliced the short into the long, or have you just connected them both in line to your koso switch?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Haha thanks Deltabi. I’m not that bad actually, I do know the basics of circuitry for the lines and dots but I was wondering more about for example your light on the diagram with the short wire that connects to the light with the long wire. I assume that’s to show you’ve spliced the short into the long, or have you just connected them both in line to your koso switch?
I'm not sure I understand correctly your question... The lights are connected in parallel: both VE+ and VE- wires from the lights are connected respectively to the VE+ and VE- from the Koso's connector. Actually that wiring is part of the Koso's kit, so in the diagram I reported it. I adapted part of the Koso's kit to my needs but that part remained as provided.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure I understand correctly your question... The lights are connected in parallel: both VE+ and VE- wires from the lights are connected respectively to the VE+ and VE- from the Koso's connector. Actually that wiring is part of the Koso's kit, so in the diagram I reported it. I adapted part of the Koso's kit to my needs but that part remained as provided.
Ah okay I get it now. It just looked like from the diagram that you had spliced the wires from one light into the wires from the other light before connecting to the switch. But now I see that your diagram just does that to keep everything straight and tidy and there is no junction point between the fog lights and the koso connector. Is that correct?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ah okay I get it now. It just looked like from the diagram that you had spliced the wires from one light into the wires from the other light before connecting to the switch. But now I see that your diagram just does that to keep everything straight and tidy and there is no junction point between the fog lights and the koso connector. Is that correct?
Actually the Koso kit comes with a "Y" cable: one side go to the Koso connector coming from light switch and VE-, the other "double" side go to both lights.
The attached image should help understand: below the black box with the white round button (i.e. the provided original Koso switch that I cut away) there is the Koso connector and the start of the Y-cable which goes to the right where it doubles into two identical wires that connect the lights.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi All,
Anyone used these on their Africa Twin or think they may be suitable with an adequate mount conversion? (from the pictures, even a sticky 3M gopro pad would work) Don't think it's a good idea to put on the forks but for £169, if these are decent and proven, could be a good alternative to the much more expensive Denali, givi etc. I'm not so interested in having more light, but rather in having people see me more and see the width of the bike (will probably mount on my givi crash bars.
Thanks in advance,

https://www.zenoverland.com/product...-led-lighting-kit-all-ktm-husqvarna-enduro-mx
Really? I think the forks are the best place to mount the lights on a AT, they are out of the way from crash damage & turn with the handlebars so they light up the road, in the tight twistys so your not riding blind. Im running 2 Aurora 2" Dually 40 watt lights, now with these lights mounted to the forks I can ride through the twistys at the same speed at night as I can during the day, riding the same road with just the standard lights pointing straight ahead I was riding completely blind & speed was down to below 20k's

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts