Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been having a look at aux/spot lights and I'm almost set on first trying a set of cheaper led lights from ebay or amazon. By cheap I mean in the 40-60£ range, in the hopes that they are slightly better quality than the 10-20£ range, although I might be wrong... Can't justify paying 300£+ for Denali's.

So then I'm looking at connections. I've decided to wire my handguard led's directly to my Eastern Beaver 3cs to be always on with the ignition as DRL's, no switch.

I want the Aux lights however to be wired into the front option connector so I can use the fog light switch and use them only at night or less busy roads.
For that I'll probably buy this: https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/africa-twin/africa-twin-wiring-loom-for-lights/ it's a nice premade plug and play kit, including the oem fog switch, already all wired up, just need to attach the fog lights. It comes with a 5A fuse and is meant for "10w lamps" like the denali, baja etc. 10W at 12V is about 0.8333 amps.

But for example, 30W at 12V is 2.5A, so the fuse would seemingly still be good enough?

But since this is connected to the front option connector, which relies also on the oem fuse of 7.5A or 10A, what is the highest wattage you would go for? Would 30W or 60W lights be safe?

I'm a bit worried because one set I found on ebay, deets below, says the lights are 40W but then come with a 40A relay and a 30A fuse. Why so high? Or is it each individual led is 40W and therefore there are 160W on each light? Is it the same for all lights, the noted wattage is on a per led basis? Which means for example the Denali D4 2.0 leds have a total of 80W, or 8x10W, which is 6.67A

So if I want 10W or 20W total then I need to find basically 2 leds only of 5W/10W?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-Spo...153293874062?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Power : 40W
LED quantity : 4
Beam : flood beam, spot beam
Certification : E9
3.HARNESS SWITCH
Relay: 12V 40A
Fuse: 30A

I know a lot of you will say I should just connect the Aux lights to my 3CS and then I can use a 30A fuse, but then I'll have to figure out all the wiring myself to fit the oem switch and option connector lol. I know some of you have connected square lights with 6 leds on each side, and I assume quite a high total wattage, to the front option connector. Does this mean you've only done it for the switching but the power itself is coming from your batteries/fuse blocks?
Thanks,

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ran two 4 inch rectangular lights with 6 led's each on my XR650L . Each light was a total of 18 watts. Put a 5 amp fuse in the power supply to the switch on the bars and had no problems. Here in Canada we can get Python LED lights from Autoshack. They use good aluminum housings and the LEDs are CREE. Very good product and inexpensive.

I worked in a Honda dealership and installed aftermarket lights like Denali and Piaa. None performed any better and some were worse than the Pythons so in this case cost was not an indicator of performance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran two 4 inch rectangular lights with 6 led's each on my XR650L . Each light was a total of 18 watts. Put a 5 amp fuse in the power supply to the switch on the bars and had no problems. .
But how is that possible then, when the load of 216W, 12 led's x 18W, would have been 18A at 12V? Shouldn't it have blown the fuse?
Or am I missing something about how the led's or fuses work?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
492 Posts
But how is that possible then, when the load of 216W, 12 led's x 18W, would have been 18A at 12V? Shouldn't it have blown the fuse?
Or am I missing something about how the led's or fuses work?
Sounds to me like each light assembly totals 18W, x 2, for 36W: 3A. 1.5 watts per LED seems about right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds to me like each light assembly totals 18W, x 2, for 36W: 3A. 1.5 watts per LED seems about right.
Yes you're right, re-reading the post I see that now. Each light is 18W, therefore each of the 6 leds is 3W, for a total of 36W.

But it seems the common consensus that this is too much for the oem wiring from the front option connector. I guess I could just wire my 8W total handguard lights to the oem fog switch and then use the wiring harness from whatever spot lights I get to connect to the eastern beaver and just use whatever switch comes with it. That way I can probably run much higher power from the eb 3CS with like a 10 or 20A fuse.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you use the front option connector, I would stay below 5 ampere. Wires at that connector are not very "thick".
I don't know how many lumens you need, but a 40W LED lights is very bright, if the quality is good (the Denali D2 is a 20w device with more than 2000 lumens).
Also take into account if you need to connect some more devices to the front option connector (eg. GPS): that could be the decisive factor.
If you really need a lot of power (=lumens) I would go to the 3CS and use a relay with the OEM fog light switch. The relay are high current devices (that's the reason you use a relay!), therefore you won't find a relay with a small current capacity, they usually start from 20 or 30 ampere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I made this up for my XR650L but never used it. The relay has a 40amp rating and the fuse block is rated for 100amps so it exceeds what's actually needed but the parts were cheap at my local automotive store. My AT has an Eastern Beaver unit so my home made one wasn't needed. Going to use it on my next project.

This sort of thing would be perfect for someone wanting to add high wattage lights to their bike. It could be easily hidden on the bike and is easy to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you use the front option connector, I would stay below 5 ampere. Wires at that connector are not very "thick".
I don't know how many lumens you need, but a 40W LED lights is very bright, if the quality is good (the Denali D2 is a 20w device with more than 2000 lumens).
Also take into account if you need to connect some more devices to the front option connector (eg. GPS): that could be the decisive factor.
If you really need a lot of power (=lumens) I would go to the 3CS and use a relay with the OEM fog light switch. The relay are high current devices (that's the reason you use a relay!), therefore you won't find a relay with a small current capacity, they usually start from 20 or 30 ampere.
Thanks Deltabi and all for your advice and suggestions.
Still thinking out loud here, what would you think would happen if I connected two sets of aux lights to the wiring harness from https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/africa-twin/africa-twin-wiring-loom-for-lights/ ?
If I get like the Bikevis Cree V3 which are 10W each https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-cree-v3-motorcycle-running-lights/ and wire those to one side of the harness and then wire my Acerbis handguard leds (8W total) to the other side? Wires should be small enough that I can crimp 2 into 1. I guess that means I could have 4 aux lights being switched through the oem switch, and would only draw 28W or 2.3A, so easily handled by the front option connector fuse.
Still might prefer having a separate switch though for each set...
Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the wiring harness. £60 including the oem switch so decent value and I'll be able to trust the wiring a bit more than my current electrical skills

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
From the images of the wiring loom I can't understand if it has a relay or not... anyway you can draw those 3-4 amperes from the option connector without problems. However I'm not sure how many ampere is able to handle the Honda OEM fog light switch. If you don't use the relay then it could be a problem: try to verify how may amperes it can handle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Deltabi. The wiring harness comes with a relay and a 5A additional fuse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts