Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I couldn't find any previous post about.

Recently I replaced a OEM LED front turn signal for an aftermarket one. As it is also a LED I was expecting that the blinking rate should be unchanged. Wrong. It blinks faster.

I tryed to instal a resistor, 8.2ohm, as recommendation from a vendor.
First I tried to wire it serial with LED. Still blinks fast.
Then tried to wire it parallel. It blinks normal, but only the rear one, that is the original one. The front does not lights up. Neither continuous neither blinking.

The other side, that has two originals works ok.

Does someone replaced Original LED for aftermarket LED?
How to wire resistor?
Wich resistor?

Thanks a lot.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,006 Posts
It’s probably the voltage/amp range issue in the new one I’m guessing it doesn’t go as low as the OEM so it’s not working...
Say the OEM’s go down to 3v but the new one only goes down to 6v hence it won’t work with your new resister...But how to fix is a good question..

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
335 Posts
Measure the resistant the oem led (just over + and - ) then from the aftermarket then you will see the difference.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi
1. Firstly measure the voltage of a working flicker
2. If it alternates between 0 & 12v then it is a normal output.
3 If it is a normal then measure the current of a working flicker unit by putting a normal or clamp meter inline.
4. Once you have the current you shall have to try and match the this by choosing the correct resistor value.
The system i suspect measures a certain current window before it works normally..

Else best get a second hand one,or get a new one to rid yourself of headaches..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.
i did chose aftermarket one because OEM are unjustibiably expensive, and the prospect of breakiit again is real as I am trying to learn off road riding.
Really, the fast blinking rate doesn't bother.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts