Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a drop doing some light off-road riding my left mirror wasn't quite in the right position. I played around with the nut and sort of got it right, but with the mirror screwed into a reverse thread adaptor you have to put an open ended spanner on the adaptor when tightening the mirror because the direction that tightens the mirror can loosen the adaptor. Because my screen is wider than stock I have to get the adjustment just right or else the mirror hits the screen at full lock, this probably makes it more annoying when it is tight at the wrong angle.

I have it OK at present, but it is annoying enough to try to get it right that I've ordered the Doubletake Adventure mirrors to put on instead of the stock ones. When I had the DR650 I had the same sort of hassles and ended up fitting the Doubletake mirrors (the round ones) - so very much easier to adjust! Seriously, the adjustment of the Doubletakes is so quick and easy that it is a pleasure in comparison. You just loosen the RAM arm, adjust position & angle, tighten the RAM arm - done!

On the DR650 I did find that the ball on the Zytel mirror arm was more slippery than the rubber RAM ball, so I slipped some heat-shrink over the ball and shrunk that down, then the arm gripped it nicely and it would stay in place really well. I'll have to try out the Adventure mirrors and see if I need to do the same thing.

How have others found the stock mirrors when they need to adjust them?

For those that switched to Doubletake or others, how have you found the comparison to stock?

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
I have always found that once a stock mirror gets whacked, it can take days of adjustment to get it "back to normal" on any bike.

I like those Doubletakes though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I installed the Double Take Adventure mirrors on the AT, but eventually went back to the stock ones. I really liked the adjustment of the Double Take, but the Adventure mirrors seemed to catch more air (they are flat on the back, no aerodynamics whatsoever), which caused more handlebar vibration. The round ones have a smaller profile and I'd wished I'd bought them instead.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The round ones have a smaller profile and I'd wished I'd bought them instead.
Very interesting. I do have the V-Stream screen which could change the aerodynamics over the mirrors, so I'll have to see how I find the Adventure mirrors. I also have the round mirrors because I swapped back to the stock mirrors when I traded in my DR650.

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
My wife and I have used Doubletake Mirrors for awhile across several bikes. The only issue I have ever had with the larger Adventure Mirrors is that sometimes you can get a little "creep." I resolved the issue on ours with a bit of heat shrink.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only issue I have ever had with the larger Adventure Mirrors is that sometimes you can get a little "creep." I resolved the issue on ours with a bit of heat shrink.

View attachment 55000
Looks like the same as what I did on the round mirrors for my DR650, ran up quite a few thousand kilometres with no issue after putting on the heat shrink.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put over 300km on the bike today, still with the factory mirrors. I actually like the stock mirrors, they are a LOT better than the stock mirrors on the DR650 (not that hard to beat them!) and they do a great job . . . until you need to fix the left one after it gets loose and then tightens in the wrong place. When I switched to the Doubletake mirrors on the DR650 I kept thinking "wow, these are so very easy to adjust", it is a real night & day difference.

The ad for Doubletake mirrors shows how tough they are, with a pic of someone swinging a bat at one of their mirrors. I'd be more likely to want to swing a bat at the stock mirror when it is being a right pain to adjust to the correct position!

I'll keep the factory mirrors safe, I'll likely keep the Doubletake mirrors the next time I change bikes, just like I did with the DR650.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m having the same problem. For the life of me I can’t seem to get my stock left mirror adjusted correctly. The right hand side is perfect. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
Left mirror syndrome. I had that on the NC750X. Sometimes you really have to will it to stay in position.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my adventure mirrors and long RAM arms arrived!
I put some heatshrink over the balls on the mirror and I fitted them to the bike, very quick & easy install. I absolutely love the adjustment on these things, you can set the mirror to be higher or to be further out, this makes it much easier to improve the view of the road behind you. My left mirror was 10x as easy to adjust so it doesn't hit my VStream screen at full lock.

All I need to do is get some riding in and see how well the new mirror do in use.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I need to do is get some riding in and see how well the new mirror do in use.
Update:
I have been away on holiday, riding and camping - I spent 24 nights without sleeping indoors! After 4-5 thousand kilometres of riding during my trip I'm still incredibly happy with my Doubletake mirrors. They don't seems to vibrate any worse than standard mirrors and give just as good a view of what's behind me. They have stayed in the position I put them in with no creep (partly thanks to the heat-shrink on the plastic balls), including while riding off-road. To be honest, I haven't really found any downside to these mirrors and I still love how easy they are to adjust.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Well,
Maybe it's just me. I've wacked both my mirrors way out of adjustment more than a time or two. When it came time to put them back into the proper position, it didn't seem to take very long. The wrench part or, getting the stem into place was pretty easy and, the adjustment of the actual mirror was done while riding.
Scott

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well,
Maybe it's just me. I've wacked both my mirrors way out of adjustment more than a time or two. When it came time to put them back into the proper position, it didn't seem to take very long.
I'm sure it isn't just you that found the stock mirrors easy to get right, just as I'm sure it isn't just me to have issues with the left mirror being an absolute pain. My main aim with this thread is to recommend an option for those people who, like me, have found the left mirror to be a pain to adjust and want another option. I really like my Doubletake mirrors, not just because they are easy to aim correctly, but also for the greater flexibility in how high vs how far out they are positioned - which you just can't do with the factory mirrors. But if you have no issue with the stock mirrors then it would be a bit silly to spend money to fix a problem that you are not experiencing.

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
I'm sure it isn't just you that found the stock mirrors easy to get right, just as I'm sure it isn't just me to have issues with the left mirror being an absolute pain. My main aim with this thread is to recommend an option for those people who, like me, have found the left mirror to be a pain to adjust and want another option. I really like my Doubletake mirrors, not just because they are easy to aim correctly, but also for the greater flexibility in how high vs how far out they are positioned - which you just can't do with the factory mirrors. But if you have no issue with the stock mirrors then it would be a bit silly to spend money to fix a problem that you are not experiencing.
A first good whack at the OEM mirrors may usher in the welcomed excuse for DoubleTake. Waiting ...

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
A first good whack at the OEM mirrors may usher in the welcomed excuse for DoubleTake. Waiting ...
Yep,
The potential for a sheered off mirror while enjoying either off road or on road fun, due to a fall, crash, breeze up against a tree limb that's stronger than the mirror, or whatever, is always there. I do like the flexibility of the Double Take system but, I'll wait and see how long I can keep the OEM intact before I jump to those.
Scott

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have had a bit of a drop a while ago luckily only the crash bars mostly took the knock.. but of course the mirror was wacked out of place. Yes you have to do the following, turn the mirror clockwise as far as it would go gently, turn anti clock wise until it is in the position more or less you want the arm to be. Tighten the lock nut at the stem base & do final adjustments with mirror itself. you might have to do it once more if you misjudge the mirror to arm max adjustment. I like the oem mirrors, to me they look good.. ps. do not over tighten the lock nut.., it is not necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts