Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Was that the one in Roswell Ga? I was tempted to fly out and ride it back. I'm having a hard time deciding between the standard and the adventure sport. I love the red/white/black - but with my 36 inch inseam the taller seat to pegs and seat to ground are appealing (along with better suspension). Anyone near Austin Tx have an AS they are willing to let me sit on to check the fit? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a quote of $9986.50 OTD but then I have to go to washington and pay tax and lisc. so that will rise to about $10952.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's your thoughts a year+ later?

Just picked up my new 2017 manual AT yesterday. Original MSRP was $13,299 and I ended up buying the bike for $8,893. Of course the was the added BS "dealer fees" (freight $497, assembly $388, doc fees $499). I think $10,277 is still a decent price for a brand new AT.
They still have a few left here in Oregon, for about the same price. I'm debating between this bike (2017 Manual AT) and a KTM 790 Adv R. Am thinking for $4k less, the AT will be the best bang/buck, especially with the Honda's reliability. Am a little worried about getting one of the last remaining bikes of this model...have to wonder why it was "left-over" for so long..

What are your thoughts now that you've owned it for a few months?

·
Registered
197 Posts
OTD has many variables. When I lived in CA, that meant everything including registration fees. In some places they only collect a small percentage of the sales tax due and do not include registration costs. Here in CO, OTD does not include registration...

·
Registered
23 Posts
similar to Washington when buying from an Oregon dealer.
no sales tax in Oregon but when you hop over the river there is sales tax.

the Oregon dealer just dropped 2017 AT's to $8999.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my brand new, 0 miles, 2017 manual from a Los Angeles, CA area dealer for 11,700 OTD. My local dealer quoted me 13,300 on a 2017 manual with 300 demo miles on it. Refused to come down and told me to go get the one in LA. lol, okay pal!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a brand new 2018 Adventure Sports manual yesterday in TX for 12000$ OTD , I checked out 2 slightly used ones last week at other local dealers and the new one is about 500$ cheaper then the used ones.

First NEW bike I bought since 1995 ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Holy moly my 18 month old AT is still worth more second hand ($AU) than new ones in America! (currency difference included) You guys get it great over there!

·
Super Moderator
3,015 Posts
Bought a brand new 2018 Adventure Sports manual yesterday in TX for 12000$ OTD , I checked out 2 slightly used ones last week at other local dealers and the new one is about 500$ cheaper then the used ones.

First NEW bike I bought since 1995 ;-)
Great find Joe, and congratulations on your '18 ATAS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's your thoughts a year+ later?

They still have a few left here in Oregon, for about the same price. I'm debating between this bike (2017 Manual AT) and a KTM 790 Adv R. Am thinking for $4k less, the AT will be the best bang/buck, especially with the Honda's reliability. Am a little worried about getting one of the last remaining bikes of this model...have to wonder why it was "left-over" for so long..

What are your thoughts now that you've owned it for a few months?

I see this reply is 9 months old, but Honda is still clearing out their 2017 NOS inventory. They must have way overestimated demand.

They could have sold them all by now if they reduced a little more, but the discount price already hurts new bike sales and their reputation for holding value. An internet search finds plenty 2017s as low as $8,999 and 2019s as low as $9,999.

I don't think there is a problem with any one bike, that its left over for four years because something is wrong with it. They didn't sell because supply exceeded demand at the asking price. And they come with full warranty.

I wonder how sales are this year with the virus scare. People out of work and trips cancelled because of closures, seems that would put a crimp in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked up my new 2017 manual AT yesterday. Original MSRP was $13,299 and I ended up buying the bike for $8,893. Of course the was the added BS "dealer fees" (freight $497, assembly $388, doc fees $499). I think $10,277 is still a decent price for a brand new AT.

I love it how variable those fees are between dealers, and even at the same dealer.

Seems they are applied as they see fit, based on how much they think the buyer will bend, or how easy they think they can move that bike. Even between salesmen at a given dealer, maybe depending on his clout or how bad he wants to make his quota vs his commission.

You can always negotiate away the DMV fees (here anyway) telling them you'll handle that yourself. Knocks down as much as a couple hundred.

The "dealer fee" is negotiable. Especially on a bike they are trying to clear. Ask them what a "dock fee" is. I have got inconsistent answers on that. They seem to apply randomly.

I'd rather buy a bike in the crate than one assembled by the shop's trainee. But they'll tell you they can't do that. Say it would void the warranty. And some bikes require the shop to flash the computer and run diagnostics on it. Or that's what they tell you. So the assembly fee stays. Unless they choose to waive it.

Honda occasionally gives dealers incentives to move inventory. Not sure if they always pass that on to the buyer.

Last I negotiated with a dealer, it took three tries and two different salesmen, plus mentioning a couple other dealers. Their OTD quote was $350 over advertised price, and I would handle DMV. That is compared to some OTD prices $1200 and $1500 over advertised prices for the full package.

One might conclude advertised numbers amount to a bait and switch scam. Caveat emptor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts