Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in the UK which covers faulty or not fit for purpose products including vehicles, however Honda are clever at hiding behind the "it's cosmetic" or "within tolerance"card in these cases. Collecting a new bike always inspect it thoroughly before signing the handover paperwork, even better when the bike is delivered to the dealer in a crate and it hasn't been allocated a registration number, difficult I know when the excitement kicks in when picking up a shiney new steed. I did this some years ago when picking up a new 07 Varadero, the chain was actually rusty, I rejected the bike but signed it off when an agreement was made to replace it at first service. Talk to the highest possible management level at the dealer about your complaint after getting in touch with citizens advise bureau, unfortunately once you've accepted the bike it becomes very difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does anyone know if all of the AT's are built in Japan ? The first letter of the VIN will be J . Anyone got anything different? Or maybe the frames are being built in another country.

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Does anyone know if all of the AT's are built in Japan ? The first letter of the VIN will be J . Anyone got anything different? Or maybe the frames are being built in another country.
Some are assembled in India, but that may only be for units sold in India?

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/honda-africa-twin-launched-at-rs-12-90-lakh-1693794

It is hard to keep track anymore in a global market, KTM 790 line is made in China, I believe some of their models are made in India and some in Austria.

https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle...and-the-790-adv-r-will-be-made-in-china.9355/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is 1/16 - 000313 and the welds are also flawless. Sorry to see those dodgy welds on the ATAS - looks like seagull ****

·
Registered
217 Posts
2017 at

I had a look at the headstock welds on my 2017 and the ones that I can see are flawless.
I am a welder and metal worker (not professional but good enough to know what a good weld looks like) and I just took a closer look at my bike.

Now the welds are sound, but not absolutely beautiful. Nothing like the TIG welds you see on a high end alu mountain bike for example, but I would not expect this either.
The frame is not tubular but pressed sections. Heaps of welding required to put all the sections together.

Also my bike is black so the paintwork is not so sensitive to defects as white ones.

Now in your case I would be upset. I think this is a bit over the quality boundary.
I think you should take it back to the dealer and point out the first and second images in particular.
here it looks like you have hairline fractures. This is structural! and serious. A frame failure at speed offload can be dangerous.
If they fob you off, then request an official certificate from Honda about the structural integrity of the frame, in particular these locations.

Just my 2 bobs worth
Hope you get some satisfaction here

·
Registered
70 Posts
I saw this thread yesterday and went home and looked at the welds on my 18 AT AS and they are way cleaner than yours. I could see where some of them we slightly sloppy but i'd say 95% of them were very clean, and no paint issue. Yours must have slipped past QC. I hope they work it out for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am a welder and metal worker (not professional but good enough to know what a good weld looks like) and I just took a closer look at my bike.

Now the welds are sound, but not absolutely beautiful. Nothing like the TIG welds you see on a high end alu mountain bike for example, but I would not expect this either.

The frame is not tubular but pressed sections. Heaps of welding required to put all the sections together.

Also my bike is black so the paintwork is not so sensitive to defects as white ones.

Now in your case I would be upset. I think this is a bit over the quality boundary.

I think you should take it back to the dealer and point out the first and second images in particular.

here it looks like you have hairline fractures. This is structural! and serious. A frame failure at speed offload can be dangerous.

If they fob you off, then request an official certificate from Honda about the structural integrity of the frame, in particular these locations.

Just my 2 bobs worth

Hope you get some satisfaction here
Gotta remember , when dealing with multi billion dollar companies, the words "within spec" probably also means a "certain amount" of accepted deaths with a certain amount of dollars being allotted for lawsuits. There is only one thing they care about, their fiscal numbers. Casualties are an unfortunate acceptable occurrence, but the money is already set aside to deal with them. So at least it's nice to know that if we die riding their bike due to "their fault"... our family can get a little spending cash....lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gotta remember , when dealing with multi billion dollar companies, the words "within spec" probably also means a "certain amount" of accepted deaths with a certain amount of dollars being allotted for lawsuits. There is only one thing they care about, their fiscal numbers. Casualties are an unfortunate acceptable occurrence, but the money is already set aside to deal with them. So at least it's nice to know that if we die riding their bike due to "their fault"... our family can get a little spending cash....lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Cynical but probably true. We are just meat bags with money in our pockets

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know of one person with an AT rather than an ATAS who had the problem with bad welds/paint. Is there anyone outside of the UK with this problem? Is there anyone outside of the UK with the ATAS crud in the tank problem?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't know about the frame welds. But the ATAS crud in the tank is here in the US. I've not experienced it (yet). But I know a guy locally who had the problem.

I know of one person with an AT rather than an ATAS who had the problem with bad welds/paint. Is there anyone outside of the UK with this problem? Is there anyone outside of the UK with the ATAS crud in the tank problem?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Call me old fashioned if you want.

But am I the only one who before i handed over the better part of £12,000 went out the back of the dealership to where the bike with my name on it was being stored to have a good look at it. in it. under it. and so on. For a good half hour I went all over it. I was looking mostly for "In Transit" and "In Dealership" damage.. scuff marks. and so on. But also taking in the bikes construction. I saw no problems then and i have no problems today just over a year later.

Seems just a bit daft to me to spend these kinds of moneys and not bother checking for flaws. Especially flaws as photographed. And so having the option from the start to reject the bike. Before any money changes hands.

I had owned the bike for 2 days and was absolutely loving the bike, when I started to notice some pretty serious defects with the quality of the paint finish, and more importantly the welds on the frame (particularly concentrated around the head stock area!).
what?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in the USA and had the tank crud problem last summer on my 2019 atas. I’m not the only one as there are lots of affected bikes outside of the UK with this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had problems with: paint, welds, gas tank - fuel pump, front suspension, spokes, etc. I, quite frankly, have not researched other bikes' quality, but IMHO only an 'idi**/ignorant buyer' would buy a Honda AT/ATAS these days with all these problems being well documented. I have had and well ridden my Honda XR650R since 2002 with absolutely NO problems. The AT is a piece of cr**, again IMHO. Yes, I am angry and yes, I spent $15K hard earned money for something I even hate to look at at this point. The bike has spent 1/3 of it's life in shops being worked on or waiting for parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi hatneil, please let us know what the welding and painting specs are once you find out. I would love to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have had problems with: paint, welds, gas tank - fuel pump, front suspension, spokes, etc. I, quite frankly, have not researched other bikes' quality, but IMHO only an 'idi**/ignorant buyer' would buy a Honda AT/ATAS these days with all these problems being well documented. I have had and well ridden my Honda XR650R since 2002 with absolutely NO problems. The AT is a piece of cr**, again IMHO. Yes, I am angry and yes, I spent $15K hard earned money for something I even hate to look at at this point. The bike has spent 1/3 of it's life in shops being worked on or waiting for parts.

Thats gotta suck. I have the same feeling about the Scrambler 1200XE I owned. Had to let it go after 3 months (and to this day I can't stand even looking at one). Lost over 5-6000$ to trade it in for an AT, but have had 10000km of trouble free riding on my 2019 AT since (fingers crossed). Getting a lemon always sucks. These are expensive toys and should only require the basic maintenance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Speedo007, I am coming to a conclusion that my bike is not a lemon at all. There would have been hundreds of lemons - Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am very happy for you and your 2019 AT and hope you will cover many more trouble free kilometers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Speedo007, I am coming to a conclusion that my bike is not a lemon at all. There would have been hundreds of lemons - Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I am very happy for you and your 2019 AT and hope you will cover many more trouble free kilometers.

Its hard to say how many have issues, cause obviously people having them will be very vocal about it (and rightfully so). But others have put 200000km on them pretty much trouble free. I think they clearly have a quality control problems at Honda. Even if it's just 5-10% of bikes affected, its more than it should be at that price. Like the rusting wheels, Honda knew about it since 2016, but waited until 2018 or 2019 to use stainless spokes. Before buying mine I had the mechanics inspect the welds and paint, and before taking the keys I also inspected it, so far so good. I've seen some bikes with horrendous welds and paint jobs...I'll be curious to see if they've solved everything on the 2020...

21 - 40 of 73 Posts