Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its hard to say how many have issues, cause obviously people having them will be very vocal about it (and rightfully so). But others have put 200000km on them pretty much trouble free. I think they clearly have a quality control problems at Honda. Even if it's just 5-10% of bikes affected, its more than it should be at that price. Like the rusting wheels, Honda knew about it since 2016, but waited until 2018 or 2019 to use stainless spokes. Before buying mine I had the mechanics inspect the welds and paint, and before taking the keys I also inspected it, so far so good. I've seen some bikes with horrendous welds and paint jobs...I'll be curious to see if they've solved everything on the 2020...

Then you admit it yourself it's absolutely not a lemon thing, they had QC problems undoubtedly, since I've been going through the forums on different motorcycle types and brands, to know what to expect buying my next bike, I have hardly seen as many issues, within a few years maybe outside of KTMs and older Ducatis, that's the kind of reliability you can expect from Honda ???
I work for the watch industry in Switzerland not even luxury ones (From Swatch to Omega)in engineering troubleshooting and although our products can never injure or kill someone if unreliable, the maximum accepted failure rate of production, is well under 1% and at 2% they will stop production and recall all parts.
I know it's not directly comparable, but I expected more quality and seriousness from Honda, our custommers usualy with serious claims get a brand new watch without question whatever the price and I know japanese engineering can surpasse Swiss and German Products, so rather disapointing !

Funnily I did almost opposite from you, I sold my AT and got a 2019 Tiger 800, that is the most refined and solid bike I've owned, but yeah it's the 3rd revision of the model.
What's certain is I learned my lesson, never again buy a motorcycle in the first 2 years of manufacturing !

Hopefully they sorted it out for the 1100 models, or I don't think Honda's reputation will hold for very long.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
some of the problems a friend has had with his Tiger.

Frequent stalling issues.
Faulty seized rear suspension.
Overheating engine.
Engine oil leaks.
Idle control malfunction.
Side stand issues.
Gearbox and gear change issues.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Overheating engine.
Engine oil leaks.
Side stand issues.

Well hopefully mine will be fine, from the infos I gathered the gearbox is known issue on older ones, as well as overheating, which comes from the cathalytic converter in fact, which can be removed... but all was sorted after some versions, seems the 2018 revision solved all of the issues, so fingers crossed :grin2: !
I checked the Tiger800 forum and the people confirmed big issues were solved by the latest models, so I'm confident.

Then there's the service, if all these issues were taken seriously by Triumph and he didn't have to pay shitloads, that's better than all my issues being ignored by Honda and insinuated that I'm annoying because I complained... it's funny because if you take out the rear shock issue and overheating, I had all the other issues on my Honda too and more "goodies"...

Anyway don't want to go off-topic too much !

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Then there's the service, if all these issues were taken seriously by Triumph and he didn't have to pay shitloads, that's better than all my issues being ignored by Honda and insinuated that I'm annoying because I complained... it's funny because if you take out the rear shock issue and overheating, I had all the other issues on my Honda too and more "goodies"...

Anyway don't want to go off-topic too much !
Service was appalling which is why he now has a Honda, BTW it was a 19 model.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Then you admit it yourself it's absolutely not a lemon thing, they had QC problems undoubtedly, since I've been going through the forums on different motorcycle types and brands, to know what to expect buying my next bike, I have hardly seen as many issues, within a few years maybe outside of KTMs and older Ducatis, that's the kind of reliability you can expect from Honda ???
I work for the watch industry in Switzerland not even luxury ones (From Swatch to Omega)in engineering troubleshooting and although our products can never injure or kill someone if unreliable, the maximum accepted failure rate of production, is well under 1% and at 2% they will stop production and recall all parts.
I know it's not directly comparable, but I expected more quality and seriousness from Honda, our custommers usualy with serious claims get a brand new watch without question whatever the price and I know japanese engineering can surpasse Swiss and German Products, so rather disapointing !

Funnily I did almost opposite from you, I sold my AT and got a 2019 Tiger 800, that is the most refined and solid bike I've owned, but yeah it's the 3rd revision of the model.
What's certain is I learned my lesson, never again buy a motorcycle in the first 2 years of manufacturing !

Hopefully they sorted it out for the 1100 models, or I don't think Honda's reputation will hold for very long.

I wasn't talking against people having issues with their Hondas, wheter its 1% or 20% that have issues, it sucks when its your bike. I've had a brand new Ducati back at the dealer in 2013 for forks leaking, rear brake reservoir leaking, paint peeling, traction control malfunctioning, entire front brakes replaced, all in under 6000km. I also know people who've had 0 issues with their Ducatis. And though Ducatis do not have the best reputation of reliability, a lot of those components werent made by Ducati (the fork seal was actually a Yamaha part), the brakes were made by Brembo, so was the reservoir, traction control was probably made by Bosch, etc.

On my Triumph Scrambler XE the suspensions were terrible, a 90$ sensor failed and all of a sudden:
- Cruise control didn't work
- I couldnt start the bike in neutral with the kickstand out cause it didn't know it was in neutral
- Traction control would intervein at 5000rpm while cruising along on dry roads
- Dash would no longer indicate the gear

Then the radiator hose was replaced because it was wearing on the bash plate and would have eventually leaked

The USB compartment under the seat would not open, or close (also replaced).
The exhaust heat shield was rattling, and another rattle was a loose collar around the headers.
Some have reported bikes stalling when cold, etc.

I put 70000km on my 2015 Triumph Scrambler and had 0 problems outside of normal maintenance....

I'm really not defending Honda, their quality control certainly could be improved. Just that if you look at any forum of any bike, you will find people that ended up with a lemon (I'm on my 21st bike, and I've seen issues about all bikes I've owned). As to how many bikes are affected by these issues, it could be under 1%, none of us know. If they sell 200000 bikes and 2000 are experiencing issues, you can be sure a good portion of those will show up in the forums, leading to the impression that most AT are bad quality.

I've seen 1 or 2 cases of really bad welding/paint, where I think Honda should have stood behind their bikes and just replace the entire bike with a new one. What is ridiculous is when Honda replaces 3 sets of wheels on the same bike instead of asking the wheel manufacturer to replace the materials used for example so that the problem isn't just fixed temporarily.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your Tiger 800, my friend has one and is happy with it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Usually it's the moaners that post. For example, you don't see any from me, with 10000 miles and the only thing to complain about being three flat tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Usually it's the moaners that post. For example, you don't see any from me, with 10000 miles and the only thing to complain about being three flat tires.
Typical comment from people that have had no issues with the bike :)

I have had no issues with my 2019 in 10000km either, doesn't mean those having issues are just moaners...it means not all bikes were made equal and some had better luck than others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
14,500 miles on my 2017 DCT and out side a weepy water pump (which I bought the parts to repair but said WTH when it was claimed normal by Honda). The bike has been rock solid! I just put 2300 miles on it thanksgiving week to Key West Florida and back with 3 Triumphs. Not one issue from any of the bikes on the trip. My Honda has been gas and go to date. Several tires and a few oil changes and that is it.

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Service was appalling which is why he now has a Honda, BTW it was a 19 model.
That I can believe, having had my own issues/frustrations with Triumph in the past. I was a big Triumph fan but got turned off by how they handled issues with the last one I owned. Appalling is about right. :(

·
Registered
486 Posts
Looking at all these complaints, it appears that the majority of the paint/rust/corrosion issues are from places where it's wet a lot, like Britain, and the bikes stay wet because you guys ride in all weather. Bikes that went to drier places may or may not be built the same, but the problem is not so apparent. Also the crud in the tank seems to be "mostly" on 2018 ATAS models. Not sure if there's a geographical area that got a bad production run, or a supplier had a bad process on ATAS tanks, or what. One would assume that after having to warranty all those tanks and fuel pumps, Honda would have gotten to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looking at all these complaints, it appears that the majority of the paint/rust/corrosion issues are from places where it's wet a lot, like Britain, and the bikes stay wet because you guys ride in all weather. Bikes that went to drier places may or may not be built the same, but the problem is not so apparent. Also the crud in the tank seems to be "mostly" on 2018 ATAS models. Not sure if there's a geographical area that got a bad production run, or a supplier had a bad process on ATAS tanks, or what. One would assume that after having to warranty all those tanks and fuel pumps, Honda would have gotten to the bottom of it.

People living near the sea are definitely putting their bike through harsher conditions, but I've seen many reports of owners that had their wheels rust on their new AT while their 20 year old honda didn't have a spec of rust. Different bikes in the same environment. Up here in Canada they cover the roads in salt from November to March, so early in Spring when roads are wet and salty its a nasty mess. I've put 70000km on my Triumph Scrambler including in those conditions, and there was absolutely no rust to be seen on the bike. Because of the reports of rust on the AT, I've ACF'ed the heck out of it and made sure to thoroughly clean it before winter storage.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen many reports of owners that had their wheels rust on their new AT while their 20 year old honda didn't have a spec of rust..
That´s the main point , materials for few reasons (like : environement and costs ) are not the same of 1999 or 1979 , not that difficult to understand.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That´s the main point , materials for few reasons (like : environement and costs ) are not the same of 1999 or 1979 , not that difficult to understand.

Absolutely but then the bike should rather cost what Yamahas cost, as their finishes are lower quality, yet Hondas still cost shitloads of money, it's one or the other, you can't have the butter and the money of the butter as we say in french.

Having said that I had never any of my yamis in 10 years have a spot of rust and while yamis gearboxes aren't the best, none let me down like the Honda did, so yes I might be of the few unlucky people, but as everyone says, the main problem is the lack of seriousness from customer services, if they had taken this seriously I would still be a Honda customer.

Again for me you can't talk about these issues being lemons, because bad paint/welds and rust/corrosion, is cutting corners for money on material, it's not like having a bike that has electrical or engine misshaps because it was the last bike of the week and is a lemon, because something went wrong in assembly.
Because as Honda says crappy welds are in specs, basically they themselves tell you they cut corners and that you have to accept it, they don't talk about lemons at all.

Anyway they'll sell many 2020 and time will tell if they learned something from the early ATs and ATAS, hopefully for customers they will.

Reactions: Ratbrain

·
Registered
223 Posts
Honda legendary quality is long time gone now. Welds are not the only cost cutting signs in AT. There are quite few well known. All is race to the bottom and not just Honda.

I do understand your frustration and some of these look quite bad. However what exactly you have expected Honda to do? Strip the bike, redo all the welds, paint the frame again and bolt on everything back? Even if they agree, if I were you I'd prefer not to. At least because I would not have trust to any Honda garage do that job properly on my 2 days old bike.

Just ride the thing and do not look that close at it. It actually rides well and I doubt you can see any of these badly done welds while you are behind the bars.
Honda have replaced numerous frames & a few bikes world wide for this same issue, Honda is well a where of this problem, glad Ive got a 16 model, no issues with quality at all except for minor corrosion on the spokes which were replaced with out any trouble under warranty

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
That is pretty rough luck HatNeil. I would be perturbed as well.

A good dealer would empathize with you and draw up an action plan, period.

Sharing your experience with the Forum has generously educated us to be a bit more vigilant when taking delivery of any vehicle.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Overheating engine.
Engine oil leaks.
Side stand issues.
Friend of mine had all these issues. Yet he is in his third Explorer as the dealer solved everyting all the time. So he became loyal to Triumph through the below par reliability and the excellent after sales. Sounds crazy but it is the case

·
Registered
225 Posts
Friend of mine had all these issues. Yet he is in his third Explorer as the dealer solved everyting all the time. So he became loyal to Triumph through the below par reliability and the excellent after sales. Sounds crazy but it is the case
So hopefully I'll either have no issues on mine or great service, would some arise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It seems everything on my ATAS is clearcoated to protect it. I rode to a friends Christmas party, and they ended it by giving everyone cans of silly string to play with on the way out. I don't know how many of you have encountered it - but the silly string is kept liquid in the can by a solvent that you want to keep off painted surfaces - it really eats clearcoat and vinyl. Well when I went outside they were doing it around my motorcycle, and had already gotten some on it. I was nice and asked them to stay away from it while I picked it off. I went inside to wash my hands off - and they were dark blue from the color it had taken off of my seat. Some people were concerned about it as I mentioned that it has a solvent in it so they'll want to get it off their cars tonight. When I went back outside - someone had thought it would be funny to bury my motorcycle under the crap. It was a good thing I didn't catch him doing it - because I'd have laid him out. I picked the stuff off again, had someone watch my bike while I got wet paper towels and cleaned it enough to sit on it (I didn't get it clean enough and ruined my pants). It was all over the seat, tank, engine, brake dics, chain... I'm still feeling like putting someone's face through the pavement for it. Even though it was close to freezing I washed the bike when I got home. In the daylight the next morning I picked out some that I had missed.

So now if my rims, cases, swingarm, engine, or anything else that is clearcoated starts to rust - I won't be able to say if it is a problem with the bike - or just a testament to keep idiots with silly string away from your bike.

It makes me wonder though, because I've seen many people mess up their clearcoat on their cars because of what they were using to clean them - what are the people with corroding wheels using to clean them? Is it possible they used a cleaner too abrasive or that has a chemical which shouldn't be used on them?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts