Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 2018 ATAS is primarily pearl white - which is a three step process of white paint, pearl, and then clearcoat. The engine, wheels, and swingarm are coated too. The frame is plain white, and I don't think it is coated - but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
178 Posts
Well, the T7 has finally reached the US, and the homeboy reviews are pouring in. I am happy to see that the T7 is not garnering the excessive praise here, that it did overseas. Add to that, that almost ALL reviews are DIRT riding, it's good news for those of us who wanted a T7, but opted to go Africa Twin, because the wait and the hype ticked us off.

All those ads and reviews from Euro riders were so "dirt bike" type viewpoints, never an extended-trip, and that is just wasn't fair to the Twin.

I got my 2019 AT NEW for $9,954, and having ridden, tarmac & gravel, all over the place for over two months, and 4800 miles, I have decided that I absolutely LOVE IT!!

NO, I've done no extreme dirt riding yet, but I love my bike on the highway and on the back roads of the midwest. I can see a much longer cross country trip in my immediate future, now that I'm getting more comfortable with it.

I am now thinking about buying a used 250 dual sport of some kind, for that ONE THING that I don't want to use the Twin for. To be honest, I may never want to do that one thing anyway...

My viewpoint now, is that we were comparing apples to oranges. These are two different machines.

Also, I love that I was able to learn my AT on "Gravel" power setting, and now that I'm using my own higher power settings, it's a whole new bike! At first it was a 500+, now it's a 1000. Only had to buy 1 bike.

I feel so good about my purchase, having the best time, and I love my AT. Best. retirement. ever!

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Well, the T7 has finally reached the US, and the homeboy reviews are pouring in. I am happy to see that the T7 is not garnering the excessive praise here, that it did overseas. Add to that, that almost ALL reviews are DIRT riding, it's good news for those of us who wanted a T7, but opted to go Africa Twin, because the wait and the hype ticked us off.

All those ads and reviews from Euro riders were so "dirt bike" type viewpoints, never an extended-trip, and that is just wasn't fair to the Twin.

I got my 2019 AT NEW for $9,954, and having ridden, tarmac & gravel, all over the place for over two months, and 4800 miles, I have decided that I absolutely LOVE IT!!

NO, I've dont no extreme dirt riding yet, but I love my bike on the highway and on the back roads of the midwest. I can see a much longer cross country trip in my immediate future, not that I'm getting more comfortable with it.

I am now thinking about buying a used 250 dual sport of some kind, for that ONE THING that I don't want to use the Twin for. To be honest, I may never want to do that one thing anyway...

My viewpoint now, is that we were comparing apples to oranges. These are two different machines.

Also, I love that I was able to learn my AT on "Gravel" power setting, and now that I'm using my own higher power settings, it's a whole new bike! At first it was a 500+, now it's a 1000. Only had to buy 1 bike.

I feel so good about my purchase, having the best time, and I love my AT. Best. retirement. ever!
Totally get it - one bike for everything.

(a Monkey or scooter could be fun though)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,870 Posts
(a Monkey or scooter could be fun though)
Ridden the old school Monkey and also its cousin a Trail-70.
Hands down fun little bikes and the best to zip around the woods & fields with.. EXCELLENT in ANY deep sand..

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Ridden the old school Monkey and also its cousin a Trail-70.
Hands down fun little bikes and the best to zip around the woods & fields with.. EXCELLENT in ANY deep sand..
If I was doing the "RV thang", I could see including a Monkey for around town scoots and over to the "other" lake (on the other side of the mountain ... range) to see what action is going on there.

In the end, pack up the Monkey and throw it in the RV "livingroom" (since Hondas don't leak oil). :)

= = =

How bad can it be?

Here is a dude storing a Honda Grom in the back of his Honda Element. Heck, he can probably store two Honda Groms (or two Honda Monkeys) back there:

Let this be a warning to anyone thinking of buying a new bike from Honda.
(it could lead to this behaviour) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this as well lately. I'll need to sell one of my other bikes to do it but would really like a smaller lighter bike to do some trail riding so been eyeing the 250's (KLX and CRF) and also waiting to see if the new CT125 makes its way to Canada. I had a CT90 when I was a kid and would love to have another.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well Gang,
Before I dove into A/T world, I already had an '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for zillion mile pleasure cruising and, carrying the TV, kitchen sink, two story house and more. Then, I decided that, I'd like to have a little run-a-round toy to goof around on both in town and, on some of our local trails. And, it would also be easy to load onto the back of the motorhome and still, tow our Jeep. So, I or WE I should say, would have the best of both worlds both at home, and while out in our rolling gymnasium.

So, I have a buddy that had a fairly new Monkey and, I took a test drive on it. WOW, is all I could say. That little 125cc, fuel injected Monkey bike could haul my lard butt around actually quite easily. I'm 6'2.5" and around 240+. And, Lake Havasu City AZ is ALL UPHILL, no matter where you're headed. And that Monkey bike did quite well. So, long story short, since at that time, a Monkey, was gonna be around $5,300-$5,500 OUT THE DOOR, depending where you purchased it, I deemed that, that was waaaaaaaaaay too much for something that was gonna be lightly used.

So, I dropped back and punted and came up with my little 2007 Yamaha TW 200. Yamaha's been making that same bike for over 33 years with almost zero changes in the last 15-20 years, other than paint schemes. That little bike is not the fastest bike on the planet for sure but, it will ALWAYS get you there. I call it my little Tractor bike. I've had it in some seriously ugly outback positions and it's always emerged victorious.

So, with all that being said, the Wing is GONE, and I have both the TW and the AT. Top speed for ME, on the TW is around 45 mph but, as I've stated in other posts, I'm not the kind that simply wrings the neck of my bikes. I determine just what a limit is and, stick to it. So, the TW handles lots of small run-a-round stuff and the AT takes care of everything else. I thought about bumping up to a Honda Rally 250 but why? It would give me a tad more power but, the TW does have the rather large rear AND front tires which, provide for a pretty fair amount of floatation in softer stuff than the Rally would. And, I've already built and powder coated my own front and rear racks for the TW so, I'm good for all my motorcycle applications.
Scott

Attachments

Reactions: TwinWrangler

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well Gang,
Before I dove into A/T world, I already had an '08 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for zillion mile pleasure cruising and, carrying the TV, kitchen sink, two story house and more. Then, I decided that, I'd like to have a little run-a-round toy to goof around on both in town and, on some of our local trails. And, it would also be easy to load onto the back of the motorhome and still, tow our Jeep. So, I or WE I should say, would have the best of both worlds both at home, and while out in our rolling gymnasium.

So, I have a buddy that had a fairly new Monkey and, I took a test drive on it. WOW, is all I could say. That little 125cc, fuel injected Monkey bike could haul my lard butt around actually quite easily. I'm 6'2.5" and around 240+. And, Lake Havasu City AZ is ALL UPHILL, no matter where you're headed. And that Monkey bike did quite well. So, long story short, since at that time, a Monkey, was gonna be around $5,300-$5,500 OUT THE DOOR, depending where you purchased it, I deemed that, that was waaaaaaaaaay too much for something that was gonna be lightly used.

So, I dropped back and punted and came up with my little 2007 Yamaha TW 200. Yamaha's been making that same bike for over 33 years with almost zero changes in the last 15-20 years, other than paint schemes. That little bike is not the fastest bike on the planet for sure but, it will ALWAYS get you there. I call it my little Tractor bike. I've had it in some seriously ugly outback positions and it's always emerged victorious.

So, with all that being said, the Wing is GONE, and I have both the TW and the AT. Top speed for ME, on the TW is around 45 mph but, as I've stated in other posts, I'm not the kind that simply wrings the neck of my bikes. I determine just what a limit is and, stick to it. So, the TW handles lots of small run-a-round stuff and the AT takes care of everything else. I thought about bumping up to a Honda Rally 250 but why? It would give me a tad more power but, the TW does have the rather large rear AND front tires which, provide for a pretty fair amount of floatation in softer stuff than the Rally would. And, I've already built and powder coated my own front and rear racks for the TW so, I'm good for all my motorcycle applications.
Scott
I was looking at the TW200 as a trail bike for my gf. She no longer has her motorcycle license, so it would be trail only, they are tanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you doing any touring on the Africa Twin? How does it compare on-road to your Wing? Have you made any changes to it?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I was looking at the TW200 as a trail bike for my gf. She no longer has her motorcycle license, so it would be trail only, they are tanks.
Sorry for the really late reply.
Yes, the TW's are a form of tank. They're not the fastest of a dual sport for sure. But, they will ALWAYS get you there. I have a ball on mine. I've been in some places I shouldn't be and it's got me in and out with very little trouble. I'm also one of those that doesn't wring the neck of small bike like that. 40 mph is TOPS for my liking. That bike is very happy at that speed. Anything higher and, you're beginning to push its comfort zone. It's a 200 cc bike with a ton of resistance in both the tires it runs and, who ever is riding it. So, I don't push it. I ride it for what it is. If I want to go faster, I jump on the A/T or even the BMW K1600 GTL-E.

Are you doing any touring on the Africa Twin? How does it compare on-road to your Wing? Have you made any changes to it?
Jayzonk,
No Sir, I really haven't done any touring on it. I have taken a couple 150+ mile runs here and there on it. I I do envy many riders who do do the lonnnnng rides on them both on and off road. Bike camping, cross country touring, exploration and all that, is always something on my mind. At my age, and a 36 year marriage, it's just not that easy to break away and do what seems to be, a ton of fun. Some guys can do it without remorse or, catching flack from the CEO but, again, it's just not easy for me. Anyway, You compared it to my Wing.

Well, without a doubt, two WAAAAAAY DIFFERENT animals. First off, I don't have the Wing anymore. It's what I traded in on the A/T. But, we both miss some nice, comfortable two-up riding so, I was gonna jump in there and purchase a DCT Wing but, at present, even the '18's with anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 miles on them are out of my price range. So, I ended up getting a very, very nice BMW K1600 GTL-E . It's basically straight on competition for the Wing. Only, it's a bit more Sport touring than just touring. And it's VERY pleasurable to ride. The CEO still likes the Wing better.

We have the ability to take either one (the A/T or the Beamer) with us when we take motorhome vacations/trips. But, the A/T is by all intent and purpose, a single rider bike. Yes, it can handle two people but, it's just not done very often due to the styling of the bike.
Scott

·
Registered
2019 CRF1000A
178 Posts
But, the A/T is by all intent and purpose, a single rider bike. Yes, it can handle two people but, it's just not done very often due to the styling of the bike.
Scott
2-Up is just plain no fun on these things. The constant sliding forward. If anyone enjoys it, tell me how.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If I was doing the "RV thang", I could see including a Monkey for around town scoots and over to the "other" lake (on the other side of the mountain ... range) to see what action is going on there.

In the end, pack up the Monkey and throw it in the RV "livingroom" (since Hondas don't leak oil). :)

= = =

How bad can it be?
Could became 26000 euro bad like mine :ROFLMAO:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts