Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks like the ZETA ZE72-6011 will also work with a DCT model where the parking brake handle is a bit more forward than a Manual clutch lever. Already had to return a set of TUSK Handguards because they would not work with the parking brake lever.

Are there any other Handguard setups that will work on a DCT model?
Great point cdjones,

I have a manual transmission and this was not on my radar, until you posted.

Moving forward, can you tell us if you have a standard or DCT transmission? That would help a lot of people out. I will add to the tally list if the handguards work for DCT and or manual transmission.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Barkbusters definitely work with DCT. They used to require a different model/SKU, but now they just seem to include the extra bits whether you need them or not. Probably less confusion for both them and the consumer :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't recommended sw-motech cobra, they are looks good, metal parts ok, but plastic mount design not good i change it again and again ;)

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
I don't recommended sw-motech cobra, they are looks good, metal parts ok, but plastic mount design not good i change it again and again ;)
That is what I have seen from them as well. A friend has them on this Tiger 800. They cracked instead of wore on impact. But he likes the looks and replaced them with another set. I justt it just depends on how in love with the look you are vs Barkbusters which admittedly can look a little utilitarian.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ZETA!!! They mount to the OEM factory bar weight, too. That’s why I went with them. I use them with the scudo large plastics but there are several options. I’d call these the more OEM-like bark buster.

DRC ZE72-6011
View attachment 60727
This is the setup I'd go with...
Can you tell me if the Scudo bumps the windscreen/windscreen mount when the handlebars are turned fully to the left or right?
The OEM come within about 3mm on my 2021 ATAS(ES) and I would imagine an aftermarket aluminum setup may go beyond that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BBuster Storms and VPS use the same frame and mount hardware. The only difference is the plastics.
Storm plastics are bigger and offer more weather protection.
VPS (Variable Protection System) plastics are smaller with a second plastic piece that can the mounted in two positions or left off.
Where did you buy them ? I ordered some from Twisted Throttle but after 16 weeks without news I canceled my order.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ZETA!!! They mount to the OEM factory bar weight, too. That’s why I went with them. I use them with the scudo large plastics but there are several options. I’d call these the more OEM-like bark buster.

DRC ZE72-6011
View attachment 60727 View attachment 60727
I have the same '19 ATAS, do these bikes still have the dampers ( vibration inserts inside handlebars ) like my '16 ? It bothered me to get rid of this stuff since in principal it seemed to be a good thing. But I wonder in practice how well it works and whether the dampers effectiveness changes when adding tensioned member like this handguard ? But nice to see an alternative, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Where did you buy them ? I ordered some from Twisted Throttle but after 16 weeks without news I canceled my order.
Put an email alert in with Fortnine.ca or give DualSportPlus a call. Those are the only 2 places I know of that continually have stock coming in specifically for the AT.

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
I get mine from a local shop here in Colorado called Performance Cycle. They have 3 sets in stock, but unfortunately, they only ship to the lower 48 states at this time and I am sure shipping would be prohibitive even if they did ship to Canada.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This is the setup I'd go with...
Can you tell me if the Scudo bumps the windscreen/windscreen mount when the handlebars are turned fully to the left or right?
The OEM come within about 3mm on my 2021 ATAS(ES) and I would imagine an aftermarket aluminum setup may go beyond that.
He has his on a 2019 ATAS, so I don't think he will be able to guarantee you the fitment.

Reactions: RockyMtnRascal

·
Registered
2020 ATAS Manual
40 Posts
I've got the BarkBuster Storms on my 2020 ATAS (manual).

I may be imagining it, but they seem to offer notably better shelter than the OEM brush guards. The heated grips actually warm my fingers through, instead of just giving me sweaty palms...(is there a separate thread for the AT giving sweaty palms? ;)).

·
Registered
2021 African Twin, Adventure Sports ES, DCT
35 Posts
I now have a set of ZETA Handguards, and they fit really good with the DCT model.

The only problem I've had is the vendor didn't send the ZETA hand shields I ordered, but a set of PowerMadd hand shields. I didn't want to send them back due to the hassle of getting them exchanged.

So here is a shot of the PowerMadd hand shields mounted on the ZETA hand guards.

The PowerMadd hand shields come with these mounting lugs, which I had to take a angle grinder to and cut them off. The 1st photo shows where the lug was ground off in order to get them to fit.

You can see how the mount was cut off in the first photo. Additionally, I was still able to use the inner handle bar vibration weight. The outside weight provided was not as heavy as the OEM weight that comes with the bike but everything seems to work.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS Manual
218 Posts
Put an email alert in with Fortnine.ca or give DualSportPlus a call. Those are the only 2 places I know of that continually have stock coming in specifically for the AT.
^^^ this for sure. I’ve used that feature on Fortnine a number of times, it works well. I bought my Barkbusters from them.

I went with the BB Storm.

I found the install on my ‘19 ATAS manual to be a little finicky with the clamp on the throttle side. Even using all the washers provided I still had sticking problems (little to no snap back) with the throttle. It took some fiddling to sort out but haven’t looked back. The bike has napped a few times since with no movement or issues. Would definitely buy again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I ended up with these. Thought they were cool I suppose. Three different positions. Price is a bit high
What the hell are those???? hahaha I have never witnessed that before. They look cool! Are they all plastic, or do they have a metal frame?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts