Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The company is machine art moto. I ran across them while shopping for guards. They were originally aluminum frame but now a vinyl plastic. I called them to get more info and was told the plastic was better for the bigger bikes. Said they tossed and lot of bikes down in the parking lot testing. I have tested them myself not on purpose tho. They held up great. Wind protection in the cooler temperatures is awesome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Machine art moto is the company. Ran across them shopping for hand guards. There all plastic but I have tested them ( not on purpose) they held up just fine. Well made. Great in cold weather .

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Machine art moto is the company. Ran across them shopping for hand guards. There all plastic but I have tested them ( not on purpose) they held up just fine. Well made. Great in cold weather .
From what I understand they used to be aluminum. But I do see they claim The v2 is improved with a new frame material, a super tough Nylon composite engineered for resilience against impact forces that exceeds the impact strength of the previous generation aluminum frame. That is a good thing because the previous version was aluminum. I believe cast aluminum because it apparently had issues where people reported that it broke into several pieces during impact. Sounds like you have tested them and they have held up, so hopefully a good move to the Nylon composite :)

·
Administrator
3,189 Posts
Your right, there are nylon. I was thinking vinyl. They did hold up well
Hard to tell sometimes with composites. I am just going from their product description :)

It is good to see that they addressed the V1 issue with V2 composite!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
On my 2016 Africa Twin I installed set of Touratech hangvuards. They are plastic( tough, impact resistant) and lighter than BarkBuasters

(

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
160 Posts
On the touratech, do you think they would work with the krako throttle lock?

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
On my 2016 Africa Twin I installed set of Touratech hangvuards. They are plastic( tough, impact resistant) and lighter than BarkBuasters

View attachment 62266 View attachment 62267 View attachment 62268 (
Have you done much "Product Testing" with these? I honestly stayed away from them because I thought, "how could they be any better than what I have on there now?" Are the ends that go around the external bar weights plastic? I would love to see some pics of them on the bike and feed back if they stayed on during tree impacts or throw-downs on the trails?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I tried in vain to mount the Moose 1 1/8" handguards. To get them to fit I would have had to drill out the bar end cap and tap it with a 1/4"-20, I think, thread(I stopped before getting to checking the thread size and pitch). Then I would file the bar end flat on 2 sides (top and bottom) to make a spot for my wrench to tighten and loosen. Also I would have to bend the guards slightly to make them work with the mounts and clear the controls. Also I would have had to grind the bar mounts to adjust to the taper of the bars(they are tapered from Moose but it doesn't match our bars).

So instead of doing all that, I widened my search from local shops to Canadian shops. The only place I found that had stock was out in Calgary. DM if you want the shops name. I ended up ordering the BarkBusters 😁. I kept the moose handguard plastics because at the time of purchase the white and black VPS were no where to be found. The Barkbusters are currently on my counter and I will update later tonight with an install picture. I will also update the Tallies in my first msg.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS Manual
218 Posts
Barkbusters have done an exceptional job of engineering their product for individual machines. Aside from some very minor fitment frustration that was solvable without any modification, just a little patient tweaking back and forth until it worked the way I needed it to.

I think I paid in the neighbourhood of $160-180 CAD. I’d gladly pay that again and again but fortunately I won’t have to; with the exception of maybe replacing the plastic shroud if it gets badly mangled or broken. Mine are already well scarred.

Couldn’t be more pleased with the Barkbusters Storm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Barkbusters have done an exceptional job of engineering their product for individual machines. Aside from some very minor fitment frustration that was solvable without any modification, just a little patient tweaking back and forth until it worked the way I needed it to.

I think I paid in the neighbourhood of $160-180 CAD. I’d gladly pay that again and again but fortunately I won’t have to; with the exception of maybe replacing the plastic shroud if it gets badly mangled or broken. Mine are already well scarred.

Couldn’t be more pleased with the Barkbusters Storm.
Pictures or it never happened!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just kidding, but seriously where are the pics? Bwahaha

And yeah I have had them on other bikes and they are very well thought out. I just needed some protection sooner than later and they were sold out for the last 6 months.

Reactions: TwinWrangler

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

BarkBusters arrived yesterday. Came with everything needed to mount up rather effortlessly.

I removed the metal bracket holding the wire for the heated grips and just zip-tied it to the wire loom for my switches.

It was stamped and the side of it would eventually cut into the wires. You can see the cut and break on the side of the bracket and definitely feel it, even with my rough fingers. I also (not shown in this picture) re-routed the wire loom under the BarkBuster support bracket to allow for more room for the brake switch wires and connectors.

I still need to find the final placement of the guards(I know they recommend horizontal) and the levers, I may roll them a little bit. They will be tweaked over the course of the next couple rides. Here we are with the Moose shields attached...

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Zeta Scudo handguards have certainly saved my levers over the course of half a dozen good drops. On one particularly hard fall, the left handguard took the brunt of the bike's fall as it collided with an immovable boulder. This caused the clamp that attaches to the handlebar to get displaced by about 1cm, marring the finish of the bars. I'm not sure if I simply didn't tighten it adequately, but that was an unexpected result.

One annoyance is that mounting the throttle-side handguard causes the wiring attachments for cruise control to get mashed a bit. While this hasn't been a functional issue, I'd want more clearance for these vulnerable connectors.

I do very much like the protection and clearance these guards provide, and I wanted them in black... perhaps the main reasons (in addition to price) I chose them over the BarkBusters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went with the bark buster storm. I also recommend the plastic covers that mount onto the steel guard. they allow for more slide when you have an unintentional get off.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts