Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it will be at least a few months before we see the CRF1000L in dealers showrooms, I figured we can talk about our other current bikes...

My 2001 Honda XR400R, up in the Santa Fe National Forest...

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Currently I just have a Grom, been looking for something more for a while and this sure fits the bill, going to be a big upgrade from the Grom :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man oh man.... That 400 looks mint, like you bought it last week. You have taken really nice care of it and that's great to see. Reminds me of my riding here in the mountains of Florida... ;)

Cheers.
Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man oh man.... That 400 looks mint, like you bought it last week. You have taken really nice care of it and that's great to see. Reminds me of my riding here in the mountains of Florida... ;)

Cheers.
Jim
Yeah, it's a pretty clean bike... I bought it 6 years ago from the original owner, and he put about 600 miles on it over the 8 years he owned it. It maybe has a total of 1000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My KLX250S and Versys. I outfitted the Versys to go on a 1800 mile trip across Oregon this summer that would be 50% off road, but in the end I took the KLX instead. I figured I would prefer to enjoy the off road and suffer the highway than vice versa. I'm hoping the AT will span both worlds comfortably.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here it is - 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre (1100 VT).

Good "cruiser" bike with about 40 K miles of trouble free riding. However, it's a bit of a pig on the sand/gravel trails of Michigan's UP.

Most embarasing riding moment ever -- having to walk back to cottage and get my wife to help me lift this pig out of a sand hole!

Hoping the AT will be a better blend of road/trail capabilities.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here it is - 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre (1100 VT).

Good "cruiser" bike with about 40 K miles of trouble free riding. However, it's a bit of a pig on the sand/gravel trails of Michigan's UP.

Most embarasing riding moment ever -- having to walk back to cottage and get my wife to help me lift this pig out of a sand hole!...
That's a bit of an understatement. Definitely the wrong tool for the job... kind of like trying to use a hammer to rip sheets of plywood, or attempting to drive nails with a circular saw.

... Hoping the AT will be a better blend of road/trail capabilities.
No question about it, the Africa Twin will confidently to go those places well beyond the end of the road... wild places only a fool would attempt to ride a bike like a Shadow Sabre. Make no mistake though, as capable as the CRF1000L is, it's still a 500+ lb bike... which is heavy enough for an experienced off road rider. For anyone with little to no real off road experience under their belt, they will most certainly have their hands trying to muscle around an AT in the gnarly stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've gone full circle in my riding of motorcycles over the years. Started off riding off-road motorcycles and competing in hare scrambles in my younger years. I had a Suzuki RM125, then a Yamaha IT200 and also a YZ250 which I fitted with a low ratio gearbox and a bigger fuel tank. Then I moved on to the street with a Yamaha DT125, a Suzuki TS185, a Yamaha XR500 and a few other bikes. More recently I had these two..

..now I'm going back to my roots(sort of) with the AT :)

1 - 20 of 170 Posts