Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Have been looking around for the past few hours online for recommendations on a replacement LiPo battery for my 2017AT
My original battery is just about stuffed now.

Being in Switzerland I have to also check for what is available to order online here (importing can end up pushing the price up a fair bit)

I am down to 2 choices, both from Bosch

LTX9-BS 3 Ah
LTX10S-BS 4 Ah

Physical size of these 2 is right and as you may imagine, the 4Ah is more than the 3Ah?
My main question is the 3Ah enough for the AT? Or should I shell out the extra for the 4Ah?

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
Hmm, only 4 AH capacity? The OEM is, what? 10 or 11 AH capacity? I wonder if the 2017 AT has higher run-time load requirements - but nothing major comes to mind.

If I were shopping, I would lean towards the extra capacity.

Ensure the battery provides similar start-up "cold cranking" current ability. I think the original battery is on the order of 225 CCA, or thereabout.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this discrepancy also caught my attention.

·
Registered
CRF1000 AS 2019 Tricolour
6 Posts
Is there a specific reason you want to change to Li? (I assume you don't have a Li-battery in your AT now)
Although I'm impressed with the performance of this technology in general, I'm a bit sceptical of retrofitting these batts in motor bikes.

In my experience, a bike batt lasts quite a long time as long as you treat it right. Keep it healthy by connecting a good maintenance (trickle) charger when you don't ride for like >1 or 2 weeks. Never allow it to drain completely.

But if you're an early adopter or you just want the Li-batt "because you can", then go for it! 😄
As @DoubleThumper mentioned above, CCA is important here.

Post some pics please if you ever take the AT to the Gotthard pass... Even with the car it's fun to drive there.

No, this is not my car....

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2017 AT factory battery just went **** up. I ordered a replacement Yuasa YTZ14s on Amazon for $144.99US. Not a Li, it should provide another 4+ years of service.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Guys,
Have been looking around for the past few hours online for recommendations on a replacement LiPo battery for my 2017AT
My original battery is just about stuffed now.

Being in Switzerland I have to also check for what is available to order online here (importing can end up pushing the price up a fair bit)

I am down to 2 choices, both from Bosch

LTX9-BS 3 Ah
LTX10S-BS 4 Ah

Physical size of these 2 is right and as you may imagine, the 4Ah is more than the 3Ah?
My main question is the 3Ah enough for the AT? Or should I shell out the extra for the 4Ah?
Last I heard Switzerland still gets snow from time to time. You might want to take the approach I use in Canada. Pick the battery with the largest capacity that will still fit in the battery box. It might not be a large difference in capacity but every little bit helps on cold starts in either country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts