Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 ATAS with a standard Lithium battery.
I was looking at getting a charger to keep the battery topped up when it's resting.
The chargers I looked at Genious and optimate refer to Lithium BMS.
Are our batteries BMS?
Do you have any recommendations for chargers under £50.(U.K)

·
Super Moderator
600 Posts
Our batteries do not have BMS (Battery Management System) like the EarthX, but it shouldn't make any difference in the choice of the charger. If your battery doesn't have BMS, it just won't use that mode. Can you get the Optimate chargers such as Lithium 4S 5A for under £50 in the UK? They sell about $120 +/- here.

I use one of the CTEK Lithium US tenders on mine, but the cheapest I have seen that is about $90 USD, which would put you at about £70?

The best bet for under £50 might be the Deltran Battery Tender Lithium models?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a antigravity lithium battery on my 2016 a/t after the old one died, now it seems my abs light stays on.the codes I get are 82,41,61,62 the voltage on the new battery is 13.5 volts after I charged it up. Any suggestions

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Optimate Lithium 4S 0.8A is slightly more expensive but is very good. It seems at £64.99 but many bike shops will give you 10% which lowers it to £58.49. It comes with cables with crododile clips and battery/hard wired connection. Beware of other makes that claim lithium compatibility. I nearly bought one that said lithium but in the small print said "occasional".

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi my atas batterys died and wont take a charge. i have a oxford x9 charger that charges li ion type batterys and i was charging the battery each month but never took charge this time. after removing the battery and checking the voltage it was 0.00 the bikes a 18 model with 5000 mls on it . has this happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I hope it reliably detects lead-acid type from lithium. Can you override the battery type detected?

I know sometimes with my charger it can detect the wrong battery type before I walk away. However, I can override it at a push of a button so it applies the correct charging algorithm to my battery type.

- - -

Sometimes it is hard to blindly "set and forget" in this "automated world" of ours where less thinking is left for us. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
600 Posts
That is one reason I like my Ctech Lithium. It is specially designed for Lithium, as opposed to "suitable for all types, including Lithium."
Maybe I am just paranoid, but whether it has reliably detected the correct battery type or not is one fewer thing to worry about :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
This one from Rugged Roads? NOCO G3500 - 3.5 Amp Battery Charger (Lead Acid / AGM / Lithium)

As my bike has neither an alarm or a tracker, so, nothing that places a constant draw on the battery, i see no need for a charger. A lithium battery loses 1% of its charge per month. which for a winter lay-up is nothing.
Concur. I have lithium-iron batteries in my 2017 AT and my 1975 Triumph T160. Both Shorai batteries. I can leave either bike for a month and not problem starting...even the old triple! I have a couple Battery Tender chargers in the tool box and trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts