Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Past experience with all my previous bikes has been the manufacturer places the smallest battery in the bike that will start the bike in warm climates. Which also means placing a bigger battery in the bike is not an option. Early spring and late fall in Ontario I usually found the battery would spin the engine fast enough to start but with the stiff oil the starter was using so much of the battery's capacity nothing was left for the ignition. How do the lithium batteries in the Africa Twins respond to cold temperatures as compared to lead acid or AGM? I bought my ATAS late December of 2019 and it is sitting in storage at the dealership until late March or maybe mid March if I am lucky.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
I have ridden a few times in late December and recently in January. No problem starting every time. I intend to ride in -25C (ambient air), if I have to. In the cold I have read in a few places to allow the battery to "load" (e.g. headlight load) for a few minutes prior to ignition. I have not done that yet because I keep forgetting.

My previous bikes (Hondas, Aprilia, all with AGM), they all started in ambient temperatures of -25C with no issue.

- - -

Ironically, I had a [AGM] battery die last summer in Port Milford, Ontario in the heat. Fortunately, I was able to bump start the bike and keep it going all the way back to The Hammer.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,993 Posts
Well it’s currently 27*F/-2C and today I’m ridding to work again, so far, never had a issue with mine, pretty much starts like it does in summer..
Lol update: temp in the bike said 31F so it’s not cold, but I’ve had no issues starting mine in the teens..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well it’s currently 27*F/-2C and today I’m ridding to work again, so far, never had a issue with mine, pretty much starts like it does in summer..
Lol update: temp in the bike said 31F so it’s not cold, but I’ve had no issues starting mine in the teens..
On my '17 the thermometer is very optimistic. Without scientific testing, and it seems based on weather conditions, but it reads about 4° warmer on average. There are times I believe it reads even higher. You might be tougher that you think! ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
My '17 thermometer reads high by about 2F/1C, according the time/temp signs I pass. Or it could be hotter out on the pavement. Or they could all be wrong, I guess. 8^)

·
Administrator
3,305 Posts
My '17 thermometer reads high by about 2F/1C, according the time/temp signs I pass. Or it could be hotter out on the pavement. Or they could all be wrong, I guess. 8^)
I had a '16 AT that read about the same as yours. My wife's '17 also read about the same as yours. 2F optimistic. But I traded in my '16 AT for a '19 ATAS and it reads high by about 4F. It is generally about a 2F higher reading than my wife's '17 at all times. I had to re-adjust my mental math :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lithium batteries does not love cold, but as said above they warm up pretty easily: just turn the key and wait 15-30 seconds: the current needed for the headlights will "warm" the battery and let it perform at his best.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,993 Posts
Reactions: Cuchulainn
1 - 9 of 9 Posts