Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any experience of the above batteries.

I have concerns about getting a bike with these batteries .

1= As I know 100% that these cannot be jump started as it will destroy the battery absolutely guaranteed 100%

2= they go flat much quicker when left unattended on the bike

3= you must only use a ION specific charger without question

4= its unlikely a completely flat battery will be recoverable any charge over 14v will destroy the battery

5= so a flat battery is a recovery van or a new expensive battery

6= I struggle to see the advantage of these battery's on a Adventure bike , a race bike yes

But I would be interested to hear from anyone who has a Yamaha with these fitted as to if they have been problematic

·
Registered
465 Posts
From personal experience on "race bikes":

2= they go flat much quicker when left unattended on the bike
I've left mine unattended for 6 months and it fired right up on its first try. However, on my other race bike, I left it unattended for a year and the battery was completely dead. However, I was able to revive it.

3= you must only use a ION specific charger without question
I believe this is true but it also acts as a battery tender.

4= its unlikely a completely flat battery will be recoverable any charge over 14v will destroy the battery
Like I mentioned above, I've had a battery dead for over a year and I was able to recover it.

6= I struggle to see the advantage of these battery's on a Adventure bike , a race bike yes
Purely for weight savings, nothing more TBH.

There is a ton of li-ion data on the internet, pros/cons and comparing to lead/acid. No need to repeat it here.
I've had nothing but pros on my race bikes.

With that said, I seriously would not recommend using it on our ADV bikes for one reason and one reason only:
I found it much easier to deplete the charger in a li-ion than lead-acid battery when the use of the electric starter is required for long periods to start the bike (i.e. struggling w/ cold starts, carbs flooded, etc.).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nemasis

thanks for the excellent reply mate

that's exactly the information I am looking for

very interesting

yes the issue of dropping a bike or having a starting issue and flattening the battery is a reasonable concern for a AD bike

race bikes I agree its very much a advantage

I suppose they will have a few gremlins to start with on AD bikes but I also cant see any advantage in ION battery's for AD Bikes

·
Registered
82 Posts
The new 2018 models come with Li-ION as standard.
Quote from Honda site ""
Light and efficient

The slim 18.8-litre fuel tank, combined with the engine’s fuel efficiency, can provides a range of over 400km – depending on road conditions. Further weight saving of 2.3Kg is achieved by using a Lithium-Ion battery. The added benefit is a longer life, and it holds the charge much better – even when left standing for a while.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/CRF1000L-africa-twin/overview.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
I do know the new Adventure Sport comes with the new Lithium Battery, I was shocked to hear a replacement would cost around £450-00,

·
Registered
361 Posts
#2 is flat wrong; lithium chemistry holds a charge better than standard SLA chemistry.

Regarding #3 & #5, I wonder what the onboard charging circuitry the bikes comes with and whether it is compatible with a SLA replacement battery in a pinch.

Otherwise your points are valid and for a bike operated away from civilization, a SLA battery is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a new antigravity battery on my 2016 AT to replace the stock yuasa battery. As soon as I Installed it and charged it with a lithium charger I had issues with the abs/tc lights going on and off when riding,staying on more than off.i checked the voltage at battery not running 13.6 volts when running 14.2 volts. I then ran it again same thing.when I turned on the heated grips to high abs and tc light went off and stayed off. So I bought a new stock battery from honda and now no issues at all. Just my 2 cents for anyone who is thinking on going with lithium.

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
I am wondering if the 2016 Honda AT electrical charging system knows how to handle charging a lithium ion battery? It is different than a lead-acid-based battery. Does the battery have any built-in "smart" electronics to help manage the charge while on the bike?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am wondering if the 2016 Honda AT electrical charging system knows how to handle charging a lithium ion battery? It is different than a lead-acid-based battery. Does the battery have any built-in "smart" electronics to help manage the charge while on the bike?
If you buy a non OEM lithium, just connect it and go. it has everything onboard to deal with the bikes supply.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a lithium iode battery fitted to my DCT been a good choice with no problems what so ever.
Leaving the bike for 1 month and it started with no issues.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought a 2019, and wish the dealer had given me a warning that a normal battery tenders will destroy these batteries. They could even put a yellow warning sticker on the battery compartment. The battery is 774$CAD in Canada, that's freakin insane, specially on an adventure bike made to ride in the most isolated areas on earth....Anyone found a cheaper alternative that fits in that small compartment and meets all the OEM specs?

·
Super Moderator
6,419 Posts
I bought a 2019, and wish the dealer had given me a warning that a normal battery tenders will destroy these batteries. They could even put a yellow warning sticker on the battery compartment. The battery is 774$CAD in Canada, that's freakin insane, specially on an adventure bike made to ride in the most isolated areas on earth....Anyone found a cheaper alternative that fits in that small compartment and meets all the OEM specs?
Gee, that is insane. It is not like the bike runs on electricity for the first few kilometers or sumthin'.

Hopefully battery manufacturers will catch on and submit their replacement offerings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
**** that sucks. I think they prescribe to the buyer beware mode of knowledge. If I wasn't such a detail oriented person I wouldn't have gotten a compatible charger when I got my bike and just used my old charger. I have many Li-Po batteries for robots and RC stuff so am not new to how to handle them.

LION batteries are becoming more common and my bet is Honda switched over to them to save weight as they weight a lot less. It is listed in the owner's manual if you have one. (I know that isn't helpful to you now.)

If you measure the physical size of the battery and it's amp/hour rating you should be able to find a generic replacement. The batteries come from some factory somewhere and will be used in other things.

·
Registered
577 Posts
**** that sucks. I think they prescribe to the buyer beware mode of knowledge. If I wasn't such a detail oriented person I wouldn't have gotten a compatible charger when I got my bike and just used my old charger. I have many Li-Po batteries for robots and RC stuff so am not new to how to handle them.

LION batteries are becoming more common and my bet is Honda switched over to them to save weight as they weight a lot less. It is listed in the owner's manual if you have one. (I know that isn't helpful to you now.)

If you measure the physical size of the battery and it's amp/hour rating you should be able to find a generic replacement. The batteries come from some factory somewhere and will be used in other things.
Unfortunately, there is no Li-Ion or any other replacement to fit the miniaturized compartment.
FYI the OE battery size is 70 x 112 x 110 (WxHxL)
If anyone has fitted a replacement other than OE, please post up.

Reactions: Speedo007

·
Registered
297 Posts

Yeah I did see it in the manual once the harm was done :) I mean on most diesel cars when you open the trap to fill it up it says DIESEL ONLY. Considering how many people in the motorcycle industry that have been using acid batteries for decades...I think they could have made it more obvious for sure...more so when they sell you the battery that price...

We have a store in town specializing in batteries I'll bring it to them and see if they can do something with it (which I doubt at this point) or find a replacement with the same specs.

With that said I'm not against the Lithium ion technology...but not sure it makes the most sens putting that in a bike meant to go around the world. Good luck putting your hands on one of those batteries if you're stock somewhere in Congo...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no Li-Ion or any other replacement to fit the miniaturized compartment.
FYI the OE battery size is 70 x 112 x 110 (WxHxL)
If anyone has fitted a replacement other than OE, please post up.
Yep even the battery store had nothing remotely compatible. The dealer is selling it cheaper than what I had found online (though still 567$CAD). I'll my battery tested and based on the results, I'll use it another season or order the OEM one. Lesson learned, hope it saves others from ruining their batteries!

DO NOT USE A TRADITIONAL BATTERY CHARGER ON LITHIUM ION BATTERIES (model 2018+)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts