Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would be interested in owners thoughts? How many kilometer's are owners expecting from the motors before rebuild? Any high mileage examples yet? Is the design of the engine such that it can be economically reconditioned when it comes to that??

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would imagine with regular services and quality oil and parts there is no reason why your motor should not see 80k miles as long as you don't beat on your engine every time you ride it.
This engine seems very unstressed as it only produces 95ish HP so there is no reason why it shouldn't last.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honda Canada had a cutaway AT engine at the consumer shows in Canada. There are many visible signs that the engine is designed with durability in mind for example coated full skirt pistons and conrods that flare at the bottom for increased bearing area. Relatively low compression, relatively low rev limit and modest power output all point towards an under-stressed design. I've been a Honda mechanic for years and it wouldn't surprise me if this engine with regular maintenance would go 150,000 miles (250,000km) before needing any serious work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Honda Canada had a cutaway AT engine at the consumer shows in Canada. There are many visible signs that the engine is designed with durability in mind for example coated full skirt pistons and conrods that flare at the bottom for increased bearing area. Relatively low compression, relatively low rev limit and modest power output all point towards an under-stressed design. I've been a Honda mechanic for years and it wouldn't surprise me if this engine with regular maintenance would go 150,000 miles (250,000km) before needing any serious work.
Since its a Honda you may be right. Even with good engineering sometimes a plan does not really pan out. Sometimes pretty average motors just seem to keep going. Time will tell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With regular maintenance, I can't any reason why this bike shouldn't get well past 200,000kms with no major engine work.
My 86 Kawasaki GTR1000 rolled past 255k with no engine work, apart from timing & starter chains, & clutch plate change at 220k; Engine compression still well within limits - Semi synthetic oil & filter changed every 5,000kms.
The AT has a lot more modern engine, so it should last even better.
Ultimately, I think electrics could be what breaks first.
I also wonder how long the clutch plates will last on the DCTs. Being that you can't really slip them, they should last well. That could be a major job replacing them!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know its not in the same class but I read of a Honda ST 1300 with over 350,000 miles (560,000 kilo ) on the clock with no major work done. Again not the same class but a Honda just the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Longevity

There is a Vstrom 1000,old model,with over 400000 miles on the clock on the Vstrom site.But like the guy said,its largely irrelevant,as most of us will have swapped bikes or died well before then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts