Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, brand new user here with a brand new 2016 AT in silver. So far I absolutely love it, came from a Triumph Speed Triple that I commuted on so this is much more comfortable (I'm 6'3"). I hate wearing a backpack to commute so side bags are on my short list but there is sooo many to choose from. I love the Touratech stuff but can't justify the huge cost.

The Tusk setup looks solid and got good reviews, I just can't choose between the medium and the large. Does anyone have them and have an opinion of how the two sizes look proportionately on the AT? As for storage either would be fine for me but I'm afraid the medium size might look too small on the bike. Thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi there, brand new user here with a brand new 2016 AT in silver. So far I absolutely love it, came from a Triumph Speed Triple that I commuted on so this is much more comfortable (I'm 6'3"). I hate wearing a backpack to commute so side bags are on my short list but there is sooo many to choose from. I love the Touratech stuff but can't justify the huge cost.

The Tusk setup looks solid and got good reviews, I just can't choose between the medium and the large. Does anyone have them and have an opinion of how the two sizes look proportionately on the AT? As for storage either would be fine for me but I'm afraid the medium size might look too small on the bike. Thoughts?
I don't have them, but my friend used them on his KLR and really likes them. He uses the large (37L) size. I personally wouldn't go with the medium. I use kappa boxes that are more like the large size tusk boxes, and eventually I'd like to get soft panniers in a size like 35L.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just ordered the silver large for my red AT. The larger is only 2" wider (4" overall) and for all street riding that will be fine. After I evaluate these then for offroad use I will consider soft bags. But my wife and I just watched the "long way round" again and they made it around the world with those wide things without breaking any legs on them and they fell alot. So some times I am worried about what looks cool, but really I am trying to get to what works best. Hang anything on an AT and it will still be cool lol. After watching the videos of the installations you can set the boxes at any angle and height that you like and they just pop off and they you can get mounts for other side bags. I also questioned them about the symmetry of their system and they said the offsets are equal so the left pannier bracket can have space behind it for mounting tool boxes or whatnot. Well, we shall see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Flyer, sounds great, when do they arrive? I'm looking at a few more weeks of liquidating parts and accessories from previous bikes before I have the coin to order them, post up a few pics when you get them installed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered the Mosko Moto "Reckless 80L v2" www.moskomoto.com Location usa.. 80 litres, Military grade ballistic nylon with waterproof inserts, very Tuff stuff, lite weight, No side luggage wracks required... 499$usd (an amazing bargain) ( built by riders made by riders) the feedback they get is incredible. There are little triks to get it to fit just rite on the AT (rear luggage rack etc) Also they have the "backcountry" model 699$usd..requires racks looks very very nice. My much smaller and completely NOT waterproof Nelson Rig bags were a big mistake for rain on Vancouver island lol. I also purchase to small Molly bags 2L each (fuel or tools etc) and a cool locking system from them. Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Helmet sorry guys I just realized your just asking about "Tusk" after doing all of this my oppolgies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ordered the Tusk Panniers in Medium Black for my Red AT they just came in the other day and I haven't had time to install. My buddy bought the medium Tusks in Silver for his red AT. He has them installed. I have ridden behind him for a couple hundred miles and they do not look small on the bike in my opinion. The Pannier boxes themselves are only $200.00 so you could always order another set and use whatever size is needed for the riding you will be doing. My buddy bought the Honda top box. I am still trying to decide if I want a top box. Main reason seems to be just a place to store helmet out of the elements when off the bike. I wish Tusk made a Top Box. The plastic Honda box just seem cheap especially for the price. All the other company top boxes seem to be overpriced as well. I wish Tusk made a Top Box. I will see my buddy in a couple days and try to get a pic if that would help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
sorry guys I just realized your just asking about "Tusk" after doing all of this my oppolgies.
No worries Frank, I like the idea of soft weight saving bags like the ones you ordered, they look really good, but I also like the idea of the rear rack doing double duty as crash protection when not in use.
Jealous of your location on that bike as I used to live in CR on the island.

Checked out Tusk site, good looking bags. Realisticly you could make cardboard cutouts to see what fits or find like sized coolers to try. This way you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the Mosko also. They are on my short list for the soft bag portion of my storage. I love their tail bag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Tusk panniers arrived and I spent some time mocking up the mounts. The right side exhaust bracket sticks out with 3" further offset and initially concerned me. The boxes I ordered were the large that are 9-1/4" wide. The medium boxes are 7-1/2" wide. The large boxes on the right side is slightly wider than the handlebars. So sometimes I am too much of a mindset that this lack of symmetry could bother me. If I put a medium box on the right side and a large box on the left things balance out to 1-1/4 inch. Tusk only sells boxes in matched pairs.

I am thinking about ordering a pair of medium silver boxes to use one large and one medium on my bike. Anyone interested in doing the same things and I could sell off a mismatched set to?

By the way I ordered the silver even though I thought the black would look tough. A few reasons were the silver boxes are brighter inside with the lids off, the silver boxes are more visible to other drivers, and the silver color will be cooler inside in the sun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tusk panniers

I have a set of the large boxes on my AT. I have a KLR with the same boxes and really like them. I was able to just order the mounts for the AT and use the boxes off the KLR. The mounting position lined up perfectly between the bikes, so there was no need to re drill the box mounts. Because of the AT muffler, the large boxes are very wide on the bike- about three or four inches wider than my KLR. For long trips it hasn't been a problem, but I take them off for commuting. I am going to buy an extra set of box mounts and find some soft bags, mount the hardware on them, and then I'll have quick disconnect soft bags for dirt use. Just as a note, you cannot use a large and medium size box together- the medium box is not just narrower, it is also smaller in height and width.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a set of the large boxes on my AT. I have a KLR with the same boxes and really like them. I was able to just order the mounts for the AT and use the boxes off the KLR. The mounting position lined up perfectly between the bikes, so there was no need to re drill the box mounts. Because of the AT muffler, the large boxes are very wide on the bike- about three or four inches wider than my KLR. For long trips it hasn't been a problem, but I take them off for commuting. I am going to buy an extra set of box mounts and find some soft bags, mount the hardware on them, and then I'll have quick disconnect soft bags for dirt use. Just as a note, you cannot use a large and medium size box together- the medium box is not just narrower, it is also smaller in height and width.
I like your plan. Actually I figured I can use a large and a medium together, just have to live with the 1" shorter and 1-3/4 narrower. So its just a matter of what it looks like. Still sorting this out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like your plan. Actually I figured I can use a large and a medium together, just have to live with the 1" shorter and 1-3/4 narrower. So its just a matter of what it looks like. Still sorting this out.
I don't have the tusk boxes, but I did do an asymmetrical box setup. I used givi racks and kappa garda boxes for on road travel primarily (I have soft panniers on my wish list). At first it bugged me that I couldn't get the distance perfectly symmetrical with about the same variance as what you are stating. However, after a few trips, that difference disappeared for me and the practicality of having the larger box on one side won out. Just have to be careful in choosing how to load, I got a wobble from just a few pounds difference recently on a loaded trip (not so careful packing upon leaving).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts