Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Any suggestions for the most affordable GPS options out there. I'm assuming that my phone won't cut it for doing off-road routes like the cdt and stuff like that. Or will it? Also I'd prefer to mount it to the little bar above my speedo but I'm having a hard time figuring out what mounts fit that. Thanks.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,180 Posts
Hey everyone. Any suggestions for the most affordable GPS options out there. I'm assuming that my phone won't cut it for doing off-road routes like the cdt and stuff like that. Or will it? Also I'd prefer to mount it to the little bar above my speedo but I'm having a hard time figuring out what mounts fit that. Thanks.
Love my Garmin Zumo 595lm

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you, deltabi, for this tip! I had not heard of this app before and have just downloaded it.
You're welcome. OsmAnd is pretty famous among those doing off-road routes, at least in Europe. It also has some good points for on-road use, so could be your only app for both usage. It has, however, a little steep learning curve has the interface is not very intuitive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're welcome. OsmAnd is pretty famous among those doing off-road routes, at least in Europe. It also has some good points for on-road use, so could be your only app for both usage. It has, however, a little steep learning curve has the interface is not very intuitive.
I look forward to exploring the app -- i read through some of the reviews on the Play Store and saw that one could upload routes to it. I think that's the first feature that I want to learn how to use. I have no experience—yet—with off-road riding, but when I pick up my new AT on Saturday, I plan to get some experience! Thanks, again!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I look forward to exploring the app -- i read through some of the reviews on the Play Store and saw that one could upload routes to it. I think that's the first feature that I want to learn how to use. I have no experience—yet—with off-road riding, but when I pick up my new AT on Saturday, I plan to get some experience! Thanks, again!
You're going to have fun! :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 78, relatively cheap, waterproof and durable. Combine that with the outstanding Gaia GPS app (can download maps for out-of-contact usage) on my phone and mount on the handlebars. Mounting on the small bar above the speedo may cause those bar welds to break according to others on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 78, relatively cheap, waterproof and durable. Combine that with the outstanding Gaia GPS app (can download maps for out-of-contact usage) on my phone and mount on the handlebars. Mounting on the small bar above the speedo may cause those bar welds to break according to others on this forum.
That looks like a good option. I was also looking at the Garmin e trex. I think I will just go with a bar mount also. I don't really want to reinforce that bracket and also it's kind of a long stretch to reach up there while in motion off-road. Thanks man

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am testing the phone Kyocera Dura thing offline no sim card with Kurviger Pro really liking it so far.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You may want to give that little bar above the instrument display further thought. Several have commented about it breaking with a GPS mounted on it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Africa Twin (CRF1000 DCT)
457 Posts
I believe there is a company that makes a reinforcement for that bar.
we have a TomTom mounted with the standard 28 mm mount
a stand alone app for your phone you can find on this link MyRoute-app Navigation

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,180 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts