Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I've got an existing set of SW-Motech pannier racks I'd like to re-use on my '17 AT with a new set of soft bags. Anyone have any recommendations on bags ~30L or larger? ... a soft bag with an attachment system that doesn't involve gobs of swearing to remove is preferable. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are the EVO's. There are so many racks and bag combos...it's hard to know what works with what. If the COVID restrictions relax I'm looking for put some serious miles in this year.

Will do on the Intro section on the forum. Appreciate any advice on bags in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
723 Posts
They are the EVO's. There are so many racks and bag combos...it's hard to know what works with what. If the COVID restrictions relax I'm looking for put some serious miles in this year.

Will do on the Intro section on the forum. Appreciate any advice on bags in advance.

Jim
Hey Jim, Welcome!
As for soft bags, I'm no expert by any means. I have an '18 AT/AS/DCT and have recently equipped it with some Tusk Pannier racks and some new Tusk Soft Pannier bags. I also purchased some adapter plates that, you basically tie the bags to with a zillion straps etc. Then, the plates simply clip onto the racks and lock into place. When it comes time to remove the bags, I pull on a cable release and vuuuualllllla, the bags pop right off the bike. Now, I know you say you have other racks. Not sure if what type and kind I have would help with your situation but, thought I might throw it out there for ya. Something to think about.
Scott

Reactions: jmunroe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jim, Welcome!
As for soft bags, I'm no expert by any means. I have an '18 AT/AS/DCT and have recently equipped it with some Tusk Pannier racks and some new Tusk Soft Pannier bags. I also purchased some adapter plates that, you basically tie the bags to with a zillion straps etc. Then, the plates simply clip onto the racks and lock into place. When it comes time to remove the bags, I pull on a cable release and vuuuualllllla, the bags pop right off the bike. Now, I know you say you have other racks. Not sure if what type and kind I have would help with your situation but, thought I might throw it out there for ya. Something to think about.
Scott
Hey Scott,

I was looking at the Tusk Olympus bags and the Mosko Moto back country pannier bags. I really can't find anything not to like about either set. Really the million dollar question was the mounting on the SW-Moto EVO racks. It looks like the Moskos "should" work but they are pretty much sold out in Canada. I did find supply on the Tusks though but I couldn't find a definitive answer on mounting them on an EVO rack...and that could be solely for the fact I've been doing so much research that I can't see the forest for the trees. :)

Most definately appreciate the input!!

Jim

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not well known in the US but nice soft panniers are the Amphibious bags that are made in Italy. I bought a pair recently - they look like they will fit on most racks. Maybe not as flashy as the Mosko bags but these are a great value. I am also glad to send my money to Italy rather than China or Vietnam where the Mosko and Wolfman products are made now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey Jim,
You're quite welcome. I certainly know how your mind get's all boggled up when doing research on various items. You sometimes find so much potential of an item or a set of these or thats or whatever that you go nutzoid! When that happens to me, I for the most part, ERASE all I've found and start over. It clears the head.
Scott

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hey Scott,

I was looking at the Tusk Olympus bags and the Mosko Moto back country pannier bags. I really can't find anything not to like about either set. Really the million dollar question was the mounting on the SW-Moto EVO racks. It looks like the Moskos "should" work but they are pretty much sold out in Canada. I did find supply on the Tusks though but I couldn't find a definitive answer on mounting them on an EVO rack...and that could be solely for the fact I've been doing so much research that I can't see the forest for the trees. :)

Most definately appreciate the input!!

Jim
The Mosko mounting system is worth its weight in gold. A few of the other features make them superior to standard soft panniers (locking bar, mount hasp locks to racks, beaver tail, adjustable size, extremely robust build). But for me, not having to mess around strapping the bag on and off the bike is the deal closer. Even the SW Pro racks require a few holes drilled, but no biggie.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not well known in the US but nice soft panniers are the Amphibious bags that are made in Italy. I bought a pair recently - they look like they will fit on most racks. Maybe not as flashy as the Mosko bags but these are a great value. I am also glad to send my money to Italy rather than China or Vietnam where the Mosko and Wolfman products are made now.
Not sure why the people of Vietnam or China deserve less business than the people of Italy...last time I was in any of those three countries all I saw was human beings trying to get through life, ya know? Get a job making motorcyle luggage, meet a girl, have a few meals a day and maybe a couple beers on the weekend. I didn't realize being Asian VS European made a person less deserving of a decent job and a decent life.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello Folks,

I've got an existing set of SW-Motech pannier racks I'd like to re-use on my '17 AT with a new set of soft bags. Anyone have any recommendations on bags ~30L or larger? ... a soft bag with an attachment system that doesn't involve gobs of swearing to remove is preferable. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Jim
We have a company here (Aus) called Andy Strapz. He makes excellent soft bags that will last a lifetime. And once adjusted for your seat width can be removed quickly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not familiar with the SW-Motech racks but IMO Mosko Moto makes some of the best bags and they have a mounting system that probably works with your rack.

·
Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
SW-Motech PRO (and I think also the EVO??) side rack mounts have adapters that cover a very wide range of side bag solutions. Even if an adapter was not available, it likely wouldn't be hard to furnish something together as the racks are flexible to accommodate.

A primary difference between the PRO and the EVO is the PRO side racks can be completely removed and mounted in seconds providing additional AT Ugly Management options.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not sure why the people of Vietnam or China deserve less business than the people of Italy...last time I was in any of those three countries all I saw was human beings trying to get through life, ya know? Get a job making motorcyle luggage, meet a girl, have a few meals a day and maybe a couple beers on the weekend. I didn't realize being Asian VS European made a person less deserving of a decent job and a decent life.
The last thing I want to do I start a political fight. I agree that the people in Vietnam and China want and deserve the best life possible. Unfortunately the Communist Government won't allow them to enjoy the fruits of their labors and any money we send to either country only supports the continued suffering and strengthens the regimes. When I see the human toll of the genocide occurring in China with the Uyghurs, the blatant human rights violations etc., I try as best I can to stay away from Chinese products. The same goes for Vietnam as I still hear in my mind the millions of dead human beings screaming out in my dreams. I'll leave it at that and not continue the argument. The Vietnamese and Chinese are wonderful people, unfortunately their governments are not. The other thing that gripes me it that these American Companies started manufacturing products here in the US and then as there success grew instead of expanding their operations here in the US they outsourced their products to Communist countries and let all of their manufacturing staff go.

That's the last of it.

Dan

·
Registered
2017 AT Manual - touring / 2019 MT07 - daily / 2004 CBR600F4I - Track / 2005 TTR230 - Trail
93 Posts
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance!

Jim
So that got sidetracked really fast...
Hi Jim. different choices out there based on how much you want to spend.
Keriga, Kappa, Giant Loop, Givi etc.
Im not sure about the build quality but Giant Loop seems to have people raving about them as being great. I went with a slightly less expensive option and got the Nelson Riggs Adventure bags. I really like them, how the look and IMO they are relatively easy to hook up to the panier racks, i also have the sw-motech ones. i say relativley because obviously the hard paniers are click and go style. Ive used my nelson riggs for about 10000klm now and they are holding up great, including 400klm logging road and some other random off road places.
If I had all the money to spend only on bags id probably go with the Givi Gravel T or the Kerriga OS 32. just because i like the look of those, the volume is perfect for me. Giant Loop around the world bags are probably the most expensive but I think you can get a adapter that lets you hook it up to the sw-motech racks like a panier would. so that is much easier to mess with on long days.
lots of options to enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Look at stuff from "Tusk"... For sure you will find some soft bags good for you!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have Mosko Moto and have mounted them on the AT - work great.
Ended up buying a set of Lone Rider bags - larger capacity, good durability, and great functionality as well. They aren't removable on the SW Motech racks but I just use the quarter-turn fasteners and take off the bags and racks when they're not needed. The Lone Riders also allow you to fold them into themselves and flatten them, so they just stay on my bike all summer anyhow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Everyone...REALLY REALLY appreciate all the recommendations and tips. I've been going over the various suggestions and I really think the major challenge this year will be actually finding any bag system...period! There is very little stock in Canada right now and all things considered if the border were to open anytime soon I'd buy in the USA and pick it up at my US Mailbox. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have Mosko Moto and have mounted them on the AT - work great.
Ended up buying a set of Lone Rider bags - larger capacity, good durability, and great functionality as well. They aren't removable on the SW Motech racks but I just use the quarter-turn fasteners and take off the bags and racks when they're not needed. The Lone Riders also allow you to fold them into themselves and flatten them, so they just stay on my bike all summer anyhow.
I had never seen the Lone Rider bags before...wow...those pannier bags are nice. I like the mounting system as well...looks robust and flexible! That ability to fold them is awesome is handy as well. I have soft coolers like that...love them!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got them as pre-release when they just started production (about $850 CDN at the time). The nice thing about the rectangular shape is things are easier to organize than the Mosko Moto bags.
They certainly aren't cheap but I haven't had a single issue with them in 40,000+ kilometres of touring.

I had never seen the Lone Rider bags before...wow...those pannier bags are nice. I like the mounting system as well...looks robust and flexible! That ability to fold them is awesome is handy as well. I have soft coolers like that...love them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts