Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just done a few hundred miles off road in the Alps, I started to notice a loud clicking when rolling the bike forwards or backwards. Assuming it was to do with chain tension, I slackened the chain right off and checked every link for tight spots, it seemed ok. Adjusted the chain to spec the clacking is still there. The bike has only done 6000 miles. I took the front sprocket cover off and I can make the gearbox sprocket click with my fingers, it is loose on the countershaft. The bolt is tight. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix?

·
Registered
725 Posts
It is a spline and the sprocket can move on the spline a bit.
How many km on the bike?
Is the front sprocket stock Honda with rubber damper? The rubber quietens the chain.
Some aftermarket sprockets are narrower or of inferior steel which wears faster.
Did it get quieter when you lubed the chain?

I think the Honda chain spec it too tight - I adjust on main stand so the chain can just touch the bottom of the slider mid=span when pushed up with my boot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike has done 7000 miles, chain always well lubed, no measurable wear.Just ordered a new front sprocket and going to keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Agree with Black99S. The problem with the Honda Speck is that most people set it while on the center stand, and that range is for the bike on the ground and the chain tight between the top of the sprockets, and when they drop it off of the center stand they lose about 15 mm of slack.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi XSPARKY, Ive noticed the same noise when rolling the bike, but its more of a clunk. Hot or cold.
This happened for a week and for the last month its gone, the bike had about 3000klm at the time and now has 4400klm.
I noted it with the dealership.
Just wondering how your bikes been getting on?

·
Registered
436 Posts
With the chain guard off, is there still a case saver installed, or are they part of chasing guard on this bike?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it happens again I'll be sure to post a video. Guess I should stop being a lazy arse and take the cover off.
Does anyone make a case saver? So you can visually check the sprocket for wear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I took the bike to back to honda yesterday for a second time, armed with a video of the intermittent clunk sound.
They kindly had a look on the spot. Taking the chain guard off and sure enough I couldnt get it to clunk:mad: so they checked the CS sprocket bolt put the guard on and I rode home 20k's.
Arriving home I wheeled the bike into the garage and heard the clunk again:censored:. So i took the guard off, cs bolt out, slid the sprocket off, dropped the chain off and put the sprocket back on and found (to my horror) about > a millimetre of movement. On close inspection the sprocket had the wear and the shaft seemed perfect. (relief) I purchased a supersprox 16T and it went on very snugly. Pretty certain the issue has gone! Im unsure what caused the failure, prob lack of heat treatment or chain to tight by previous owner 🏍
🏍Anyhow Happy Camper

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I took the bike to back to honda yesterday for a second time, armed with a video of the intermittent clunk sound.
They kindly had a look on the spot. Taking the chain guard off and sure enough I couldnt get it to clunk:mad: so they checked the CS sprocket bolt put the guard on and I rode home 20k's.
Arriving home I wheeled the bike into the garage and heard the clunk again:censored:. So i took the guard off, cs bolt out, slid the sprocket off, dropped the chain off and put the sprocket back on and found (to my horror) about > a millimetre of movement. On close inspection the sprocket had the wear and the shaft seemed perfect. (relief) I purchased a supersprox 16T and it went on very snugly. Pretty certain the issue has gone! Im unsure what caused the failure, prob lack of heat treatment or chain to tight by previous owner 🏍
🏍Anyhow Happy Camper
a new sprocket and chain must be mounted. the chain hangs on the front sprocket at the tips, so the noises come.

I have the same ****ing problem, every 12 - 14000 kilometers.

the problem also occurs if the chain is set too tight.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
212 Posts
At 3000 miles I found rust forming on the shaft/sprocket. Suggest everyone to put moly paste not grease on the splines as Honda assembly didn’t bother

1 - 12 of 12 Posts