Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I was out for a drive on my (one month old) AT. After a short stop at a retail store, I went to leave and the bike was completely dead, no lights, nothing. After a minute or so, everything lit up and it started, however it was shifting a little wired (DCT model). Anyway, I drove it down the road a mile or so, and stopped at another retail store. Got on to leave, started fine, but before I could get out of the parking lot, was jumping and shutting off and on and such. I pulled to the side, where I noticed the shift indicator showed the bike was in second gear. I took off the seat, and got the "magic" Allen wrench and removed the tool box and flipped up the battery cover. I grabbed the negative battery cable and it was loose. I stuck the wrench in the ground bolt and it felt tight, however with a little more push, it started to turn, and I was able to get a few more turns out of it, and insure the cable was tight. It seems that when the dealer installed the battery, they perhaps cross threaded the negative bolt and it was never really tight. OK, I feel good, I found the problem, however my bike is stuck in second gear. When you turn the key on, you hear clicking from the transmission of the bike trying to shift it back to neutral, but nothing happens. At this point, I am thinking a hardware or electronic failure, and I am truly puzzled. I grab my phone and start searching the web, and find someone who had a similar problem, all they did was roll the bike a foot or two and the computer was able to shift into neutral and all was fine. Since the bike was on the stand, I had not considered moving it until it was fixed. I am posting this so any other DCT owner will know what to do it they see their bike stuck in second gear... Key on, roll bike...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts