Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my exhaust side pannier replaced under warranty because it became very loose when properly fastened to the bike. Neither me nor the dealer could work out why and another member of the forum has PM'd me as he has a similar problem. Here's what he asked me and I thought I would answer on here so anyone else who gets the problem can post their thoughts too:
He asked
"....but getting your new pannier it would be very interesting to know how much play there is (if any) in the upper locking lever when a new one is in locked position off the bike - and how it compares with your other one. As I mentioned both of mine waggle off the bike - but only on exhaust side does whole pannier waggle when locked on the bike."
So first off - the new pannier is fine and locks in position now with no play at all. The locking lever on the brand new one is much tighter (ie less waggle) than the one on the nearside pannier and I checked the faulty pannier when I sent it back and there was 'waggle' on that lever. However, the strange thing is that even now with looseness on the nearside locking lever, when clamped up the pannier is solid as a rock - just as solid as the brand new on on the off side. So my experiments have produced the same results as John's seem to have. Don't know what it means, but I am now a bit worried because I haven;t used the panniers all that much so how long is the new offside pannier going to last - it doesn;t seem to be constructed any differently from the one that went faulty.
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just found this Mike - thank you (thought maybe PM had not got through) - interesting - mine 'waggle[ equally locked off bike - but NS pannier fine, just like yours almost. As I bought mine second hand I cant go to dealer so as a temp measure have cable tied through hinge - (just do-able) of pannier and the steel plate - heat shield ?? behind the OS passenger footpeg - which locks things tight.

I did a round trip up to Rally Raid this week for some tubeless wheels (more on that in another post soon) not far short of 300m and the above worked fine - rock solid.

I am now looking for something I can adapt as a more permanent solution to do this whereby I can secure/clip that front corner of the pannier to that plate which can be locked/unlocked without carrying spare cable ties. Shouldn't have this problem I know - but it is what it is - see what Screwfix etc might have.

As to the salt on the pannier outer cover plates - yes indeed - mine look awful close up, but they easily remove I know as I did it when I first got them to check. That is another day.
John

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found this Mike - thank you (thought maybe PM had not got through) - interesting - mine 'waggle[ equally locked off bike - but NS pannier fine, just like yours almost. As I bought mine second hand I cant go to dealer so as a temp measure have cable tied through hinge - (just do-able) of pannier and the steel plate - heat shield ?? behind the OS passenger footpeg - which locks things tight.

I did a round trip up to Rally Raid this week for some tubeless wheels (more on that in another post soon) not far short of 300m and the above worked fine - rock solid.

I am now looking for something I can adapt as a more permanent solution to do this whereby I can secure/clip that front corner of the pannier to that plate which can be locked/unlocked without carrying spare cable ties. Shouldn't have this problem I know - but it is what it is - see what Screwfix etc might have.

As to the salt on the pannier outer cover plates - yes indeed - mine look awful close up, but they easily remove I know as I did it when I first got them to check. That is another day.
John
Sorry John - I should have PM'd you as well.
I think it's worth a try with Honda customer service even of you bought second hand. Tell them you are worried that it might detach at 70mph and you can use my posts about getting it replaced under warranty.
3m make some small buckle operated wraps that then velcro into place to stop them coming undone - might be better than the once-only tie wraps
Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Every now and then a rubber demper says goodbye, you checked those 4?

You prolly will but its a shot.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Shifty. Both John and I know about the issue of the rubber inserts coming loose but they were all still in place on mine (and the rubber bungs on the passenger footrest.
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes I am OCD about the rubbers every time I have the panniers off - I do wonder if they lose their shape a bit - ie shrink slightly and harden though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I am OCD about the rubbers every time I have the panniers off - I do wonder if they lose their shape a bit - ie shrink slightly and harden though.
Hmmm possible. But then I guess Honda would be simply replacing those under warranty rather than sending a whole new pannier.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts