Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Boys and Girls, I could really use some knowledge here. Last February I pretty much did the last of the electrical work on my ATAS on the front end with the addition of a Kisan path blazer, and given that this was the Alpha unit, actually wrote the installation procedure for them. I have not ridden my ATAS since October, relying on the protection of my Wing during the cold and wet, but decided it was time to start getting ready for spring with a few things like a SW Motech chain guard and a few other minor items. After taking care of all of that I switched on the lights to make sure all was functional, and found I had no High beam (dash indicator light worked just fine) so my natural thought was something happened to the Kisan unit. After opening up the left side fairing to get at the wiring I found that the unit was working just fine, the problem was to screw to the fairing frame where I had attache the Kisan ground wire was no longer providing a ground. I then checked multiple points on the fairing frame where there were metal to metal fasteners, including where the camel windshield brace bolts on, and none of the points show continuity to ground, which raises the following question(s) (note, everything else works just fine):

1) Is the fairing frame suppose to be grounded, and if so, where is the ground so I can look to reconnect?

2) If not, any ideas how the bloody thing was inadvertently grounded at original installation, and what might have happened?

If push comes to shove I can always run something up there, but that is not what is preferred. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't have a picture of the ATAS wiring but the 2017 standard has the ground cluster left side on the frame under the tank.
I never assume I can ground to the frame - too many rubber bushings, paint etc. I always run the ground back to a known connection e.g. Eastern Beaver 3-circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response on both sites. I just retired 2 weeks ago, so have time on my hands so if you come down this way we can go for a ride. For the benefit of others on this thread the following is my solution.

The local Honda shop had the tank off to replace the fuel pump under warranty, and maybe they messed something up. After talking to the shop service manager it became apparent that they had no clue and were not comprehending the problem, so I talked them into taking a VOM and checking to see if there was continuity between the main frame and the frame for the fairing. There was, so apparently option 1, above was the case. Since they had no idea where that ground was connected, I decided to run a #14 wire from my Eastern Beaver up the left side of the cowling and created my own ground connection. Everything is working now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts