Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I ride 2016 manual 57k, fork seal leaked at 11k replaced, have had no leaks since. I’ve been on many major trips Off road & pavement. I ride with 4 friends that ride 1290 KTM, between the two bikes the A T rides & handles just as good if not better, pavement or off-road. It’s an awesome machine, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. Ever since the 2016 Africa Twin was introduced I've been thinking about buying one. I own a Honda XR650L and love it. Back in the day I rode Honda 2 stroke dirt bikes. I have a Honda generator. All of these products have served me very, very well. Few problems to speak of.

I have recently noticed there are a lot of brand new yet unsold Africa Twins at dealerships across the country at hugely discounted prices, which has me interested. Some are 2017 models, many 2018s, and 2019s as well. The 2017 bikes are listed at $8,999. That is a massive discount from the $13k+ msrp. I started to wonder if something is wrong with the earlier model years, and was reading around here that some of the engines will die at a stoplight, or even while riding. That is a dealbreaker for me. I can't imagine losing power on a mountain highway or something.

Can somebody tell me if there's an inherent flaw in this motorcycle, or if certain years are better than others and maybe something has been updated so as to stay away from the older bikes? It seems some people have never been able to remedy the problem even with the dealer getting involved. I actually prefer the older model black/red vs. the newer black or blue/white bikes. I'd like to purchase a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are great.

Lastly, if the bike is DCT equipped and that is turned off, is there any noticeable performance difference between that and the manual bike? I am thinking it would be nice to have the DCT feature, but not sure how much I'd use it. If anything it might be more desirable in the resale market as it's a more expensive bike, so it'd make sense to buy one if the price is the same. I haven't seen which model people prefer.

I guess I am just wanting a bit of reassurance that this is a solid bike that will last me for years and stay true to that Honda quality engineering, durability and reliability I've come to love and expect. Thank you.
Hi mate, I like what Double Thumper and Smilesperhour say, made me chuckle, ‘cos their comments relate to my experiences so I won’t duplicate unnecessarily. I found this forum helpful when I had a doubt about the stalling issue as an experienced rider, thinking it was me. All I can say after riding various bikes and having worked for a favoured marque as a tech for 24yrs and overall rider of 42yrs is that when I got onto my ATAS 2019, I got the same rush as the one I had when I got my first bike, a Yamaha FS1E, when I was the king, or so I kidded myself... When I rode away from the dealership, they wanted to take a photo for their website, I got an instant rise in blood pressure, ‘cos one, I don’t consider myself photogenic and two, I didn’t want to mess up an entry into a busy Jordan junction as I hadn’t even bothers to test ride this bike or one like it. I just purchased it on faith of the branding, size, weight and the access it would give me to the outback nature.
From the moment I dropped that clutch I had a smile from ear to ear, it was as though I’d owned this bike in a previous life, I just felt part of it and have no complaints since. As one other contributor said on here, he considered a BMW 1250 as did I, I wasn’t impressed despite being a best seller by either the price tag or the integrated tech for the comparison the Honda offered me. I hope this helps your decision.. ride safe, go where no man has been before, haha!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I wanted to say a quick thanks to everybody for the great responses. I've been a little busy lately but will check back in and report as I continue looking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all. Ever since the 2016 Africa Twin was introduced I've been thinking about buying one. I own a Honda XR650L and love it. Back in the day I rode Honda 2 stroke dirt bikes. I have a Honda generator. All of these products have served me very, very well. Few problems to speak of.

I have recently noticed there are a lot of brand new yet unsold Africa Twins at dealerships across the country at hugely discounted prices, which has me interested. Some are 2017 models, many 2018s, and 2019s as well. The 2017 bikes are listed at $8,999. That is a massive discount from the $13k+ msrp. I started to wonder if something is wrong with the earlier model years, and was reading around here that some of the engines will die at a stoplight, or even while riding. That is a dealbreaker for me. I can't imagine losing power on a mountain highway or something.

Can somebody tell me if there's an inherent flaw in this motorcycle, or if certain years are better than others and maybe something has been updated so as to stay away from the older bikes? It seems some people have never been able to remedy the problem even with the dealer getting involved. I actually prefer the older model black/red vs. the newer black or blue/white bikes. I'd like to purchase a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are great.

Lastly, if the bike is DCT equipped and that is turned off, is there any noticeable performance difference between that and the manual bike? I am thinking it would be nice to have the DCT feature, but not sure how much I'd use it. If anything it might be more desirable in the resale market as it's a more expensive bike, so it'd make sense to buy one if the price is the same. I haven't seen which model people prefer.

I guess I am just wanting a bit of reassurance that this is a solid bike that will last me for years and stay true to that Honda quality engineering, durability and reliability I've come to love and expect. Thank you.
This review was very influential in my decision to by my holdover 2017 Africa Twin manual. I only have 1,600 miles on it to date but love the bike. It handles the off road riding I do as well as the Husky TE 610 it replaced and is head and shoulders better than the Aprilia Caponord I had before the Husky.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Love my 2018 DCT. 0 issues and look forward to riding it every chance I get. As of right now, there is no other bike I would replace it with. I'm sure I could find another to add to the fleet. But no desire to change it out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That said, if it were a thing for me, I'd try to add a Monkey.
Hey DT,
I've ridden the newer Monkey's and, without a doubt, they're a blast to goof around on in and around town. My buddie's 6'4" and about 240 lbs. and his little Monkey zooms all over our hilly town of Lake Havasu City AZ with him on it. It's a crackup to see him go by our house, he's so big on that little bike but, again, it does it without strain. I'd have had one if it wasn't for the price new. When I was looking, they were still somewhat new and, there was none on the used market to be had. It was gonna be about $5,000 + out the door. That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for my application of just a goof-a-round bike. But, I still really like'm.
Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey DT,
I've ridden the newer Monkey's and, without a doubt, they're a blast to goof around on in and around town. My buddie's 6'4" and about 240 lbs. and his little Monkey zooms all over our hilly town of Lake Havasu City AZ with him on it. It's a crackup to see him go by our house, he's so big on that little bike but, again, it does it without strain. I'd have had one if it wasn't for the price new. When I was looking, they were still somewhat new and, there was none on the used market to be had. It was gonna be about $5,000 + out the door. That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for my application of just a goof-a-round bike. But, I still really like'm.
Scott
At the Barber vintage fest last year they had a vendor there that was nothing but monkey mods, from cosmetics, to hiperf engines. They do look fun and I was shocked at the amount work being done to these things....but all that money, on top of what they already cost? I guess I don't circulate with the folks who have that kind of money to burn. Cool to check out though.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey DT,
Scott
Yes, I have heard nothing but praise for the machine. Unless you maybe live on a farm, it is up there in the discretionary category. Nevertheless, I feel the force. o_O

Another way to look at it: $5K spent on the latest 8K 75" TV, or a Monkey? Which one will retain its value and usefulness decades later? (assuming dino doesn't go extinct) And which one ends up in landfill in five years?

Oh geez ... I just gave everyone at the Forum an excuse to go buy a Monkey. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my 2017 AT DCT new, at full price.....
I have not had any issues with the fuel tank rust, rusting spokes, low throttle hesitation or any issues that i know of with the front forks.
I currently have 26K kms on her and love riding it.
I’ve been riding for 42yrs and this is my favourite motorcycle.
It is a little heavy and large to do the single track stuff i like to do in the back woods of BC, but I still ride it like my DRZ400, I’m just a little more tired at the end of the day.
But its a joy on the ride home from the back woods. I look over at my adult son who is riding my DRZ and just smile.
And i never thought I’d ever buy a DCT type bike, absolutely love it on the twin. Amazing for the ride to work in traffic on the freeway and has saved my butt on a few occasions on some steep loose trails going up them.

My riding buddy would love to buy that leftover twin you are looking at. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy my twin again in a second.
Just buy it and enjoy it, you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A 2017 red, white, and blue just showed up at my local dealer. Farkled to the hilt. 5000 miles. Altrider everything, ohlins front and rear, headers and can, totally decked... Asking $10k.

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Amphib,
Wow,
Must be in the air. Take a look at this ad that came out a few hours ago in Las Vegas NV
I asked a salesman about it and the guy traded it in for a new adventure sports. Pretty amazing the losses some will take to upgrade. I mean only 5000 miles, barely broke in. But even at 10k I think it's not a bad deal if someone wants those farkles. Last Thanksgiving I was up outside of Chicago and they had a 1 mile dct '16 for $7999.

There's certainly some great deals out there. I think that Las Vegas bike will have trouble at that price considering.....

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's alotta farkling for little mileage.
Hey DT,
You know these Twins better than I do. Do you think, with all that luggage, (and whatever could be loaded in them) AND, whatever's carried in the two liquid containers (I'm assuming one gas and one water), that, the framing and or rear structure of the Twin might be overloaded? I know it comes with a weight limit and, it's more than likely NOT overloaded but, just from a point of view, it looks like it could be with all that hanging on the back. Just a thought.
Scott

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey DT,
You know these Twins better than I do. Do you think, with all that luggage, (and whatever could be loaded in them) AND, whatever's carried in the two liquid containers (I'm assuming one gas and one water), that, the framing and or rear structure of the Twin might be overloaded? I know it comes with a weight limit and, it's more than likely NOT overloaded but, just from a point of view, it looks like it could be with all that hanging on the back. Just a thought.
Scott
Honda engineers say the maximum weight capacity for one rider, one passenger, and gear is:
  • 437 lbs for the CRF1000 A/D
  • 397 lbs for the CRF1000 A II / D II
So in terms of bulk weight, the engineers should know their stuff.

In terms of racks and similar jazz, it will depend on the racks and underlying support. I believe respectively, that information is documented. Example: Maximum OEM rear carrier weight capacity is 22 lbs.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts