Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks DT,
Although I don't think I'll ever plan on loading my bike with as much as I see in that ad, I might go for some soft bags on the side and maybe my Harbor Freight box on the top. We'll see.
Scott

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honda engineers say the maximum weight capacity for one rider, one passenger, and gear is:
  • 437 lbs for the CRF1000 A/D
  • 397 lbs for the CRF1000 A II / D II
So in terms of bulk weight, the engineers should know their stuff.

In terms of racks and similar jazz, it will depend on the racks and underlying support. I believe respectively, that information is documented. Example: Maximum OEM rear carrier weight capacity is 22 lbs.
It is best to stick with the numbers they give but I am sure they also built in a cushion just to be sure it is safe. 10 or 20 pounds over might be okay but I wouldn't want to go 400 over.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Likely, but these are the official specs. Beyond that is on the owner.
I was thinking of observations over several decades. On many motorcycles the specs in the owners manuals gave a gross weight for the motorcycle. In some manuals the stated gross weight was actually less than the stated gross weight for the front and rear axels when those two were added together. That was the theoretical load. At that time motorcycle weights were normally given as dry weight, no battery, gas, oil or coolant. Put all those in the bike, add two riders at 185+ pounds each and it was surprising how little is left for luggage capacity. Then add panniers and top boxes with their associated mounting hardware which reduces the luggage capacity even more. This issue occurred on most makes and models at that time and especially on the bikes being used for long distances. CB-750, Kawasaki Z-1 and Gold Wing for quick examples. So many bikes then were vastly past the recommended gross weight once loaded for the trip. The bikes performed admirably. No bent or broken axels, handling was not compromised to the point the rider crashed during the trip although there must have been some close calls. Many tires did wear out faster than expected. The manufacturers are obviously building in a fudge factor. Considering the pictures I have seen of many adventure or touring bikes lately the issue is still there. Between riders being realistic about what they need to carry and manufacturers being more realistic about what may be carried there should be common ground between the two where most can live while staying within the published numbers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bill J,
Very well written and accurately stated. Yeah, I'm former Goldwing owner and we did load it up for trips. Two people, with a combined weight of well over 400 lbs., (hopefully she doesn't read this) and, then we'd strap on the dog, a mere 12-14 lbs., and a little carrying tote for her, and that Wing was hovering around 1,400 lbs. motoring down the road. Hence, this is why we finally got a trailer. That didn't help with what the Wing was carrying but, it did allow for carrying needed items without looking like Jed Clampet in the Bevery Hillbillys!
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Smilesperhour, I know what you are going through right now. Its an important decision and its an expensive one. I read forum posts until I almost gave up on getting the bike, because i was worried I'd have issues with the one I purchased. Those that do have issues with their bikes are a tiny percentage and are obviously very upset about it. (and rightly so) This is not helpful to read at all when researching a bike. Like I said, it almost dissuaded me. I believe (and this is just an opinion) that these bikes are built on a day when a machine isn't functioning properly or someone on the line is hung over etc. Its not all bikes and it happens with all brands. Anything we purchase comes with a chance that it will fail, we have to hope it is repairable and the company we get it from stand behind their product. There is also an option of buying more warranty which can be purchased at any time before the first one ends. This may give you peace of mind. There are often glitches in the first and second years of production that get worked out as well. which there are fixes for shortly after from aftermarket companies.
I ended up buying a 2019 ATAS DCT, that was on the floor from last year. I got a very good deal on it and I suspect that many sit on the floor for this reason. Riders know that if they wait, they can get a hugely discounted bike. They all seem to disappear eventually. I wonder too if people hold off once they hear rumors of the features on the next years model.
Anyway, Its a chance we take, and I am happy I took that chance. I am extremely happy with this bike. In fact I love it. Am I biased toward Honda? Maybe. I have only had good experiences with all the Honda motorcycles I've owned, but I also own a Yamaha snowmobile and ATV, so I'm not loyal to only one brand.
One of my riding buddies got one, and now 4 people in his riding circle have sold their bikes to purchase an AT after trying his or someone they know, myself included. (a CB500X, KTM 690, Yamaha Super Tenere, and a Ducati Multistrata) That says something to me. Another buddy of mine bought a KTM 1090, and it a very cool bike, but I see the way he looks at my AT Haha!
I hope this helps. Good luck. I hope you get the bike you will love.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all. Ever since the 2016 Africa Twin was introduced I've been thinking about buying one. I own a Honda XR650L and love it. Back in the day I rode Honda 2 stroke dirt bikes. I have a Honda generator. All of these products have served me very, very well. Few problems to speak of.

I have recently noticed there are a lot of brand new yet unsold Africa Twins at dealerships across the country at hugely discounted prices, which has me interested. Some are 2017 models, many 2018s, and 2019s as well. The 2017 bikes are listed at $8,999. That is a massive discount from the $13k+ msrp. I started to wonder if something is wrong with the earlier model years, and was reading around here that some of the engines will die at a stoplight, or even while riding. That is a dealbreaker for me. I can't imagine losing power on a mountain highway or something.

Can somebody tell me if there's an inherent flaw in this motorcycle, or if certain years are better than others and maybe something has been updated so as to stay away from the older bikes? It seems some people have never been able to remedy the problem even with the dealer getting involved. I actually prefer the older model black/red vs. the newer black or blue/white bikes. I'd like to purchase a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are great.

Lastly, if the bike is DCT equipped and that is turned off, is there any noticeable performance difference between that and the manual bike? I am thinking it would be nice to have the DCT feature, but not sure how much I'd use it. If anything it might be more desirable in the resale market as it's a more expensive bike, so it'd make sense to buy one if the price is the same. I haven't seen which model people prefer.

I guess I am just wanting a bit of reassurance that this is a solid bike that will last me for years and stay true to that Honda quality engineering, durability and reliability I've come to love and expect. Thank you.
Hi all. Ever since the 2016 Africa Twin was introduced I've been thinking about buying one. I own a Honda XR650L and love it. Back in the day I rode Honda 2 stroke dirt bikes. I have a Honda generator. All of these products have served me very, very well. Few problems to speak of.

I have recently noticed there are a lot of brand new yet unsold Africa Twins at dealerships across the country at hugely discounted prices, which has me interested. Some are 2017 models, many 2018s, and 2019s as well. The 2017 bikes are listed at $8,999. That is a massive discount from the $13k+ msrp. I started to wonder if something is wrong with the earlier model years, and was reading around here that some of the engines will die at a stoplight, or even while riding. That is a dealbreaker for me. I can't imagine losing power on a mountain highway or something.

Can somebody tell me if there's an inherent flaw in this motorcycle, or if certain years are better than others and maybe something has been updated so as to stay away from the older bikes? It seems some people have never been able to remedy the problem even with the dealer getting involved. I actually prefer the older model black/red vs. the newer black or blue/white bikes. I'd like to purchase a 2017 or 2018 since the prices are great.

Lastly, if the bike is DCT equipped and that is turned off, is there any noticeable performance difference between that and the manual bike? I am thinking it would be nice to have the DCT feature, but not sure how much I'd use it. If anything it might be more desirable in the resale market as it's a more expensive bike, so it'd make sense to buy one if the price is the same. I haven't seen which model people prefer.

I guess I am just wanting a bit of reassurance that this is a solid bike that will last me for years and stay true to that Honda quality engineering, durability and reliability I've come to love and expect. Thank you.
HI i have a 2017 DCT and have done two trips into europe of 5k miles both times, its so smooth for pillion and fast in sports mode. I have fitted the smaller tubeless wheels, lowering kit, heavy duty rear spring, decat exhaust and it now steers like a proper bike. Its top heavy with full Givi luggage and pillion if you are a short ass like me but overall its very good

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just want a big dirtbike - been holding out to check out the Yamaha 7T but stumbled on a pandemic motivated seller
Good to see another who did the same thing I did!

its a Honda - nothing wrong with left overs - deals to be had
Yep, I owned three Hondas back in the 70s, never an issue.
Glad to be back, though, at my age, not sure how long that will be!
I recently retired, the AT gets me up in the morning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
you can make sure that if it does happen that the dealership follows Honda's recommendation for cleaning the tank prior to replacing the fuel pump, injectors. Apparently, from my convo with American Honda, if done correctly, it shouldn't require more than 1 service.
Even though I don't own an ATAS, this is the best advice I've seen on this, thank you!

·
Registered
206 Posts
HI i have a 2017 DCT and have done two trips into europe of 5k miles both times, its so smooth for pillion and fast in sports mode. I have fitted the smaller tubeless wheels, lowering kit, heavy duty rear spring, decat exhaust and it now steers like a proper bike. Its top heavy with full Givi luggage and pillion if you are a short ass like me but overall its very good
Hmmm,
Never thought it STEERED INCORRECTLY. It turns, both directions, leans fine, stops and turns, accelerates and turns. Just kind-a wondering, what's the "proper" way for a bike to steer?
Scott

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good to see another who did the same thing I did!

Yep, I owned three Hondas back in the 70s, never an issue.
Glad to be back, though, at my age, not sure how long that will be!
I recently retired, the AT gets me up in the morning.
EXACTLY!!
I get up oh, maybe 05:45 and am on the bike riding about 06:00 or earlier. I kind-a have to do that at the present time due to the fact that, down here in southwest AZ, it's ramping up in heat. In the mornings right now, it's hovering around 70-72, + or -. Even though I don't have any real scenic rides here, it's still fun just to get out and put around the town and near the water (Lake Havasu).
Scott

·
Registered
43 Posts
EXACTLY!!
I get up oh, maybe 05:45 and am on the bike riding about 06:00 or earlier. I kind-a have to do that at the present time due to the fact that, down here in southwest AZ, it's ramping up in heat. In the mornings right now, it's hovering around 70-72, + or -. Even though I don't have any real scenic rides here, it's still fun just to get out and put around the town and near the water (Lake Havasu).
Scott
I was on the way back from a trip to Scottsdale/Kingman when I bought my AT. Got tired of waiting for the T7. AZ was nice...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts