Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just bought a new, manual, AT about a week and a half ago. Sold my BMW R1200GS last spring and have been considering the AT for a while, doing a bit of research on them and reading the various forums. The GS had been my 4th GS, plus I had had 2 KTMs, a 640 and a 990 ADV. Of them all, the 990 ADV was my favorite because of its off-road chops. The GS has gotten way too bloated in my opinion, and I just didn't enjoy riding it much any more. It felt too "blah".

I decided on the AT because of its smaller mass and slimmer profile, its good reviews, off-road capabilities, and the fact that Honda has a great worldwide support network. I considered the DCT, but just don't want to give up the total control I have with a manual. I still prefer manual cars & trucks too, so go figure.

The local dealer in Fredericksburg, VA had a silver manual AT I had looked at early in the summer, before I was ready to buy. When I got ready to buy this fall, I went by there, thinking I would see when another was coming in, and the silver one was still there. What's more, they had discounted it $1000 to move it. I bought it that day, and had my wife drive me back to ride it home. I've got almost 600 miles on it so far and I love it. Took the wife 2-up and, despite some complaints I have read, thought it was fine with 2-up. I love that it feels more like a real dirt bike. I can't wait to take it off-road in the mountains.

I need to get some bags, a top case, and a mount for an old Garmin 478 I still own. Thinking Touratech, but still researching. I fit the center stand on yesterday, and have been working on installing a powerlet outlet today (taking all the fairings off to put it in the dash is a bitch.)

So thats the story.... Cheers!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Best of luck with your new bike.did u ever hv trouble with BMW or ktm or were they reliable.was thinking of a ktm 1290 or a Ducati multistrata but to much techno and reliability scares me.So I to am thinking of the new AT.for build quality and reliability.wont be doing a lot of off road if any.just want a bike I can drive in any weather and can take on some long trips.hopfully it will suit.let us no how u are getting on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats in the new bike!

You seem to have quite a bit of experience on competing ADV models -- would enjoy hearing your perspective on the differences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts