Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Am from India and have covered 11,000kms till date. Today I noticed major dip in engine oil level when checked according to the procedure given in user manual.

Pic of oil level is attached here for reference. Do lemme know if anyone here experienced such alarming dip in engine oil level. Oil was intact changed in second service, that is at 6000kms.

What would be the reason?? (There is no leakage). Last oil change was done at the dealer service itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Out of curiosity: Does your manual say to change oil at 6000km, or was that an annual servicing? My manual says oil changes at 12000km, and filters only at 24000km, plus annually, whatever comes first I suppose.

If there is no leakage, it has to be getting burnt, which would suggest a bad seal on your piston rings. I assume you're seeing no loss in compression or engine performance? Maybe a bad example, but my KLR didn't burn a drop of oil most of the time, and then after about 3 hours of running at highway speeds, the piston walls and/or piston would ovalize and it would drink 500ml of oil in a tank of gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you check the oil level after the dealer did the change? You didn't say how low it was, however, the dealer may have replaced the filter, but only added oil for the oil change only procedure. I would add oil to bring it up to full, then monitor it closely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you meassure it the right way?
I had the same and was in shock, now all is good. Didnt do anything special except adding 300cc of oil.
I think it has to break in properly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity: Does your manual say to change oil at 6000km, or was that an annual servicing? My manual says oil changes at 12000km, and filters only at 24000km, plus annually, whatever comes first I suppose.

If there is no leakage, it has to be getting burnt, which would suggest a bad seal on your piston rings. I assume you're seeing no loss in compression or engine performance? Maybe a bad example, but my KLR didn't burn a drop of oil most of the time, and then after about 3 hours of running at highway speeds, the piston walls and/or piston would ovalize and it would drink 500ml of oil in a tank of gas.
As per manual its at 12k kms. Still thought of changing it thinking that it will prolong the life of engine. Not very costly affair too.

No leakage, yes looks like its getting burnt! No drop in compression or loss of power.

Hey this "ovalizing" phenomenon is for real?? :surprise: I haven't ridden it for more than 2 hrs continuously. So no chance for that too!.

Did you check the oil level after the dealer did the change? You didn't say how low it was, however, the dealer may have replaced the filter, but only added oil for the oil change only procedure. I would add oil to bring it up to full, then monitor it closely.
NO. Dint check oil level right after last oil change. Service technician says he filled oil till the upper mark. :|
Bike is IN for 12k service now. Will check it as soon as it come back.

Did you meassure it the right way?
I had the same and was in shock, now all is good. Didnt do anything special except adding 300cc of oil.
I think it has to break in properly
Yes, I did it as per the instructions in the user manual. This sort of dip in level was not there in first 6000 kms. So am really worried.:frown2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike is in for 12k service now and observed something that may be connected to this "oil consumption issue"!
There are two transparent tubes from intake manifold hanging out freely with a plug on the free end. My left side tube is 80% filled with oil while the right side tube is totally dry!

(You can see these two tubes near radiator fan area on both sides.)

I hope you guys can figure out something from this and advice me further.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can see the breather tube in the below pic. My left side tube is almost filled with oil now.

But as per the user manual, its normal and u need to drain the oil if found during inspection. Says it wud be slightly more during rainy season!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Theres 3 hoses in total, 2 left and 1 right.
Right and left-front are always dry on my AT, only the left-rear contains oil every now and then.
I had 8cm of oil too the first time I found out about them hoses.

On my DL1000 the airbox never had any oil in it and I would really like to know Honda's philosophy about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Theres 3 hoses in total, 2 left and 1 right.
Right and left-front are always dry on my AT, only the left-rear contains oil every now and then.
I had 8cm of oil too the first time I found out about them hoses.
Tubes with 'plugged' end is where the oil content of blow-by gasses get deposited. This is intact mentioned in the user manual too.

my DL1000 the airbox never had any oil in it and I would really like to know Honda's philosophy about it.
Spoke to Honda personal in Mumbai reg this and he says its normal. It occurs when the bike is ridden at high speeds for a long time and also when G mode is used frequently.
User manual advice to do this service more after riding in rain or washed frequently. (See page no.101, Crankcase Breathing)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The crankcase breather tube pops some oil out every now again depending on high revs, high speed & vapour.. I clean that airbox accumulation tube about every 2 - 3 weeks depending on usage. I only drain it when it goes above round 4cm or before a long trip.. This is very important to drain, since once it fills to the top, the oil will run & be sucked into the intake & mixed with the fuel which is induced into the combustion chamber. This will eventually caused baked oil deposits in the valves & on the piston heads.. Also contamination of sparkplugs, in bad case the burning oil contaminates the O2 sensor.. I have observed this on my VFR1200FD when I did my valve clearance. The breather in there spits this oil into the airbox & eventually it runs down cylinder 1 when the bike is parked on the side stand. This airbox is quite flat at the bottom so the oil runs down the intake very quickly.. I have seen the piston head has burnt black deposits only on the intake where the oil runs down. The other three pistons are still nice & clean. This is something I am wanting to change by doing the same thing as with the Africa twin.. I have seen a you tube video on the Africa twin where the airbox finally accumulated so much oil that it had starting issues. He finally drained the tube & the issue went away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The crankcase breather tube pops some oil out every now again depending on high revs, high speed & vapour.. I clean that airbox accumulation tube about every 2 - 3 weeks depending on usage. I only drain it when it goes above round 4cm or before a long trip.. This is very important to drain, since once it fills to the top, the oil will run & be sucked into the intake & mixed with the fuel which is induced into the combustion chamber. This will eventually caused baked oil deposits in the valves & on the piston heads.. Also contamination of sparkplugs, in bad case the burning oil contaminates the O2 sensor.. I have observed this on my VFR1200FD when I did my valve clearance. The breather in there spits this oil into the airbox & eventually it runs down cylinder 1 when the bike is parked on the side stand. This airbox is quite flat at the bottom so the oil runs down the intake very quickly.. I have seen the piston head has burnt black deposits only on the intake where the oil runs down. The other three pistons are still nice & clean. This is something I am wanting to change by doing the same thing as with the Africa twin.. I have seen a you tube video on the Africa twin where the airbox finally accumulated so much oil that it had starting issues. He finally drained the tube & the issue went away.
Yea.. but in my case it appeared only on the left side tube! Right side tube is totally dry and not even a single drop of oil even after covering 12000 kms. Any idea why only on one side?? Am unable to figure out this reason!

Have ridden real fast for several kms on the highways.. so yes.. it shud get deposited for sure. But why only on one side!?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Tubes with 'plugged' end is where the oil content of blow-by gasses get deposited. This is intact mentioned in the user manual too.

Spoke to Honda personal in Mumbai reg this and he says its normal. It occurs when the bike is ridden at high speeds for a long time and also when G mode is used frequently.
User manual advice to do this service more after riding in rain or washed frequently. (See page no.101, Crankcase Breathing)

I never ride high speeds for long time and never use the G mode.
Only the left-back hose contains oil now and then, both hoses behind the radiator (left and right) are clean and have never seen a drop of oil at all. (10000km)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never ride high speeds for long time and never use the G mode.
Only the left-back hose contains oil now and then, both hoses behind the radiator (left and right) are clean and have never seen a drop of oil at all. (10000km)
Can u post a pic of tube with oil?
Oil deposits from blow-ny gasses will accumulate on the pink colour, plugged tubes only.
Not sure of the other tube u mentioned here.:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts