Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
... fortunately the U.S. space and aerospace domains were metric a long time ago.
I mean we mostly are, it’s most of our tools, liter’s etc on all our packaging. Speedometers have it. Some states like Maine have it on the highway signs. The military operates in kilometers and meters. I don’t know what the hang up is honestly.

I find liter’s per 100km a lot easier to range estimate than mpg. Metric in general is just easier.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I’m ready for the USA to go metric, this conversion stuff is getting old and my tools are mostly all metric anyone lol. We just killed DST most likely, now lets get on the same page as everywhere else for distance and speeds.
Be careful what you ask for. Canada supposedly went metric decades ago. We are caught in limbo somewhere in between metric and imperial measurement with the worst of both worlds. The weather forecasts state ceiling in feet and visibility in kms. If you go into a building supply store many things are in imperial dimensions, not metric. The group that really liked the switch from imperial gallon to litres are those selling fuel. We tossed a Prime Minister out of office when he wanted to raise the price of gasoline something like five cents per gallon. Now when the price increases five cents per litre many people don't say a thing. 4.5 litres is one imperial gallon.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Be careful what you ask for. Canada supposedly went metric decades ago. We are caught in limbo somewhere in between metric and imperial measurement with the worst of both worlds. The weather forecasts state ceiling in feet and visibility in kms. If you go into a building supply store many things are in imperial dimensions, not metric. The group that really liked the switch from imperial gallon to litres are those selling fuel. We tossed a Prime Minister out of office when he wanted to raise the price of gasoline something like five cents per gallon. Now when the price increases five cents per litre many people don't say a thing. 4.5 litres is one imperial gallon.
... it just makes you "bilingual" @Bill J. :D

Note: So not to confuse some 'merican members, 3.7 liters is one U.S. gallon.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, thats what you get when you do a half arsed job of it. Asking a politician to do engineering! youre askin for trouble! (heheheeeee)

·
Registered
286 Posts
To be more serious, I have a long term average (the ave cons, which I believe resets with each tank refill) is around the 4.9L/100km
I noticed that if I cruise at 100-105kmh (~60mph) that is where I see peak practical travel efficiency is reached. About 4.5 to 5L /100

But as soon as I nudge it up to 120kph I have 7L/100 and it climbs with more speed.
The absolute best efficiency I have gotten on flat road (no downhill cheating) and mild-no wind is about 3.2L/100 while riding at about 55-60kph in 6th with standard sprokets and a properly inflated tyres and very little de/accelerating in traffic. (btw tall windscreen but no rear topcase or other luggage).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey 'yall, I am getting pretty jealous with the fuel economy that is being thrown around here. I can not even come close and I do know why. So a couple details:
  • Measured my load with all the accessories I added on and it came to around 300US#s.
  • Speed of Travel is around 80-85mph
  • Only a rear topbox (think its a 42L Givi Outback or outtrekker) no panniers.
  • Tall OEM windscreen.
With that in mind I find I average 33MPG. I am able to get 45MPG if I go 50MPH. Do I have a bike issue or is it just the factor listed above that is causing the low fuel mileage? Only 700 miles on the odo. Changed my oil already and other 1st service things.
I wonder how much better it would be if you just lost the hulking topbox?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Only 700 miles on the odo.
Let the engine settle in more. Keep monitoring it and things should settle in after about 2-2.5K miles.
From experiences with my other bikes that I have broken in, after 2K miles or so, the mileage actually improved.
See my log for my CB1000R in Fuelly.com.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On non-ethanol regular (87 octane) I got 47.2 MPG (US) 4.98 L/100km yesterday in mixed aggressive/easy going riding which I think is pretty good for an 1100 cc bike.

Seems to get about 43-45 on ethanol variety. D mode really is the eco mode on this bike.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
On non-ethanol regular (87 octane) I got 47.2 MPG (US) 4.98 L/100km yesterday in mixed aggressive/easy going riding which I think is pretty good for an 1100 cc bike.

Seems to get about 43-45 on ethanol variety. D mode really is the eco mode on this bike.
Sounds about right @Lee R. Yeah, ethanol puts out less energy per unit compared to [pure] gasoline.

Not only does one pay more for gasoline at the pumps, but typically also one gets less energy per unit of fuel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On non-ethanol regular (87 octane) I got 47.2 MPG (US) 4.98 L/100km yesterday in mixed aggressive/easy going riding ...
Yup, I read and heard about this behavior across most motorcycles.
Will have to try this one day.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts