Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Never owned a twin before so not sure what is normal. I find that at low RPMs (< ~2000), and particularly in second gear (I have DCT), the engine lugs. This can be felt as a pulsing in the acceleration. I especially notice it when slowing down to the teens when traffic bunches up on the freeway.

Normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Never owned a twin before so not sure what is normal. I find that at low RPMs (< ~2000), and particularly in second gear (I have DCT), the engine lugs. This can be felt as a pulsing in the acceleration. I especially notice it when slowing down to the teens when traffic bunches up on the freeway.
Seems normal to me.

If you don't like it, or want better throttle response when you twist, don't use D mode. I mostly use S2, but I use D sometimes. I like the V-twin low end feel from D mode, but I often want a more powerful reaction to twisting the throttle than I'll get from that. Yeah I know it's not a V-twin, but with the 270-degree crank feels very similar to e.g. Vstrom 1k 90-degree V-twin to me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't like it, or want better throttle response when you twist, don't use D mode. I mostly use S2, but I use D sometimes.
That sounds reasonable. I usually use S1 but the more aggressive engine braking isn't something I always want when commuting and dealing with lots of lights and stop signs. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah this "lugging"was the first major thing I noticed with my bike, (had it about 6 weeks now). At it's worst it feels like the bike is going to shake apart. I find it happens most when adding throttle from a slow speed/high gear, but not enough throttle to make it shift down. For me, the best compromise that requires the least amount of left hand thumb and index finger gear change overrides is S1.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah this "lugging"was the first major thing I noticed with my bike, (had it about 6 weeks now). At it's worst it feels like the bike is going to shake apart. I find it happens most when adding throttle from a slow speed/high gear, but not enough throttle to make it shift down. For me, the best compromise that requires the least amount of left hand thumb and index finger gear change overrides is S1.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That would happen with my Varadero XL1000V if when I (rarely) left it in a tall gear at very low speed. The Big V twin on the Vara would simply work its way back up, from almost tickover, into the power band and eventually get on with things. Given the similar engine size and the 270 degree crank on the AT I guess the same V twin low down grunt still applies like a V twin would.
Maybe the DCT brain just needs a little help from time to time in the occasional given situation?
At least there is a manual gear change option to do so.
After all, the DCT may have a pretty reasonable computer logic type brain but still doesn't have the human awareness tuned into the bike that most of us have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with all previous comments.. In D mode is more pronounced at low speeds...Try to use s1 or s2.. mind you it completely goes away if you go for full manual..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts