Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After demo ride on standard seat in low position I thought a slightly lower seat would be worth having so ordered one with my tri manual. The low seat is a beast ! Way to hard, put standard seat back on today to compare.... Way better or else I have a very soft hind end....
Low seat won't be going back on, will just cope with a more tippy toe approach to junctions.
Not impressed Honda ?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I just ordered one as well but only plan on using it when I know I'm going to be off roading it for the day and then switching back to my original seat for longer on road rides. The only real way to make a lower seat is to remove padding, not sure what other options they have.

The issue is when we do a long road ride to just get to the trailhead. Not sure what I'm going to do there. Probably just suck it up on the low seat I guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well Henery, I've got both and use the low as a rule, cannot understand what all the fuss is about, both are equally comfortable, you must have a duff one, seat I mean, not arse.

M

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been riding mine with the low seat and find it starts to get uncomfortable after an hours riding, put the standard seat back on tonight to compare after reading your post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What I think I've found with the low seat based on about 700 miles using it is that there is so little padding to make it let that I think I'm feeling the plastic underneath which is why it starts to feel so hard after a while. I think I'm going to start to look into other options.

I've been riding mine with the low seat and find it starts to get uncomfortable after an hours riding, put the standard seat back on tonight to compare after reading your post.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had a low seat on my AT for two months [9000. plus kms] now and I do not find it that uncomfortable,but I do have a sheep skin on it [as I do on all my bikes] and I do wear moto-skiveez's adventure under wear all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess it's because I'm coming from a KTM seat, but I find it fine. But I uh, have a lot of junk in my trunk. I haven't bothered to put back on the regular seat, I just kept the low.

·
Registered
233 Posts
After putting a Karoo 3s on my bike, I'm now a bit more on the balls of my feet. I'm considering the low seat. Reading through this thread it looks like Yay/Nay is about split on the low seat...

Personally I like the firmness of the stock seat. I have zero issues with it. I found the seat on the Super Tenere and my Tiger XCx were way too soft. I couldn't sit even a half an hour on either of those without being too uncomfortable. Coming from a cycling back ground, you should be resting on your "sit bones" and your reach to the bars also determines where you put the pressure on the sensitive bits. The AT seat feels just like the Corbin I put on my ST, and the Sargent on my XCx...

So I'm concerned about the low seat firmness... Anybody change their mind or any further info now that some time has passed?

·
Registered
62 Posts
After putting a Karoo 3s on my bike, I'm now a bit more on the balls of my feet. I'm considering the low seat. Reading through this thread it looks like Yay/Nay is about split on the low seat...

Personally I like the firmness of the stock seat. I have zero issues with it. I found the seat on the Super Tenere and my Tiger XCx were way too soft. I couldn't sit even a half an hour on either of those without being too uncomfortable. Coming from a cycling back ground, you should be resting on your "sit bones" and your reach to the bars also determines where you put the pressure on the sensitive bits. The AT seat feels just like the Corbin I put on my ST, and the Sargent on my XCx...

So I'm concerned about the low seat firmness... Anybody change their mind or any further info now that some time has passed?
It all depends on one's point of reference. Like I said in another thread:

"I come from a hard core MX and road racing background so riding on hard seats is nothing new to me.
When I first rode my A/T with the standard seat, I thought it was nice to finally ride around sitting on a sofa. However, installing the low seat has taken me back to sitting on a plank. Once again, nothing new to me but my past riding experiences have never required enduring the hard seating surfaces for longer than a couple of hours at a time."

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's what I was looking for just a comparison between the Stock seat vs. the Low Seat. If the stock was more firm or soft. So, plus one on the "more firm" than stock...

I hear ya, I used to roadrace a Yamaha TZ250. Talk about a plank. That wasn't even a seat, it was a foam pad glued to the tail section. But like you said, you aren't in the seat in one position for long periods, always moving around on the bike...

It all depends on one's point of reference. Like I said in another thread:

"I come from a hard core MX and road racing background so riding on hard seats is nothing new to me.
When I first rode my A/T with the standard seat, I thought it was nice to finally ride around sitting on a sofa. However, installing the low seat has taken me back to sitting on a plank. Once again, nothing new to me but my past riding experiences have never required enduring the hard seating surfaces for longer than a couple of hours at a time."

·
Registered
35 Posts
How short is everyone requiring a low seat? Just out of curiosity. Is everyone trying to flat foot?

·
Registered
62 Posts
How short is everyone requiring a low seat? Just out of curiosity. Is everyone trying to flat foot?
I'm 5'7", but with short legs even for my height (29" inseam).
I have the low seat installed in the lower position which lowers the seat height to 820mm (32.0"), and still cannot flat foot on both sides. If I keep my right foot on the peg, I can flat foot on the left with my knee pretty much straight out.
My suspension sag is probably around 70mm, which would bring the seat height to 750mm (29.5") with me seated on the bike. Given that my riding boots give me a ~1" lift, I should be able to almost flat foot on both sides but the low seat is pretty wide where it meets the tank which contributes to my inability to do so.
Why is it important to be able to flat foot on both sides? Well, because if you are determined to take your A/T on enduro trails as I do, it makes a huge difference.
I rode MX for close to 40 years and I am a pretty advanced rider in all kinds of off road situations. However, there is a significant difference between riding a ~220lb MX bike, up and down near-vertical cliffs, and trying to manhandle a 540lb (mine is a DCT) beast even on moderate trails.
You get the bike's center of gravity leaned over a little too much & it's game over. You will end up laying the bike down on one side and good luck getting it back on 2 wheels if there is nobody around willing to help.
I've laid my A/T down, twice, on the left side and both incidents happened when I came to a full stop and tried to get my left foot down. My foot placement was slightly off and I tried with all my, 5'7", 175lb, used to be athletic, might to hold up the bike and failed.
First time, I had my left leg trapped under the bike and my back up against a bolder making it very difficult to get out. Two big guys came to my rescue and picked up the bike with some difficulty. One of them said, "darn, how much does this thing weigh?"
The second time, I wasn't caught under the bike when I had to lay it down. I had stopped to ask a ranger for directions when it happened. It was I and the ranger picking up the bike and it wasn't easy to say the least.
Forget about those Youtube videos showing how to pick up a heavy cruiser laid down in a paved parking lot. It doesn't work that way when you are on a slippery off road trail.
Bottomline, flat footing an A/T is important when trail riding and regardless, cross your fingers and hope that there will be people around who are willing & able to help If you end up dropping it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I prefer to use the standard seat in the high position for extended road riding, but I do use the low seat for off-roading if I think I might encounter heavy mud or difficult terrain...especially mud...Ol' Derek doesn't like mud...
Honestly, I can't really tell that much difference, which is odd, because I've got a bony arse.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
So right at the moment,

Low Seat Harder than Stock - 2
Low Seat Same as Stock - 2
Low Seat Softer than Stock - 0
Didn't say - 1

16Rally would you comment on the firmness/softness of the Low Seat compared to the Stock Seat?

I don't think I can add a poll since I'm not the OP.

Seeing as the low seat is pretty inexpensive, I'll take a chance on it. I think I may do as Derek Dust, if I know we are going to go on the gnarlier stuff I'll throw the low seat on...

I think for me I'd need to go to a completely custom seat. I've found that with the semi-custom seats like Corbin and Sargent while good they are fairly expensive and both actually have increased my reach to the ground. They have wider seats which splays my legs further out therefore making it harder for me to reach the ground. Also they can be "very expensive" around the $400 USD mark which I'm not inclined to spend unless it solves my problem of reaching the ground and being comfortable. When I sat on the bike at the shop of course the preload was not set, we had the seat in the low position and I was almost completely flat-footed. Now dial in all the preload to try to get to the proper sag on the rear and I'm a bit more on the balls of feet and I'm still using 38% of the preload and this is without any luggage just me in gear and a tail pack. I'll live with reduced travel if I can touch the ground. Now throw in the Karoo 3s. I'm now more on the balls of my feet. UGH! I know really want to achieve that 30ish% sag which will mean an aftermarket spring. BUT that also means I'm most likely really going to be on the balls of my feet... Not good...

I've also tried the Seat Concepts on my XCx. A nice semi-DIY option. Works pretty well but it too raised the seat height or reach to the ground.

If the low seat is uncomfortable to me I'll find someone I can send it to and see if they can make it more comfortable without raising the height or splaying my legs. I didn't want to send in my only seat pan and not be able to ride my bike for a few weeks...

About me, 5'10", 225 lb, 30" inseam. I live at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Almost every ride I take involves getting in the dirt. We have some of the most awesome dirt roads (I use that term "roads" very loosely). Within a 100 mile ride you can encounter dirt, mud, sand, gravel, rocks, BIG rocks, lots of washout, and being the Rockies throw that all in with some very steep terrain. So being able to put your feet down flat-footed or as near as possible is very important. Try turning the bike around on a steep rocky trail and accidentally lean the bike toward the downhill side. That "ball of the foot" reach is not not even on your toes. The bike goes over beyond a certain point and you get your foot down but the bike is too far over. No way to keep it upright so you let it go... Now try picking that bike up when its laying on its side with the heaviest part of the bike uphill. Yeah nearly impossible if not impossible to be done solo... I've been in that situation. Due to the nature of the terrain, I couldn't drag the front wheel downhill. I had to sit and wait for someone to come along or hike out. Fortunately after about 40 minutes a couple people came along and helped me lift it.

My experience is very similar to 16Rally's. I've had my leg stuck under my 600lb Super Tenere with the engine case resting on my ankle after failing to reach the ground to keep the bike upright. Thankfully I wear Sidi Crossfires which saved me from a bad ankle injury (which I had fractured in a previous fall 6 months earlier but was wearing Alpinestars Toucans). I had to lay on my back and use my right leg to do a leg press on the seat so I could lift it enough to pull my ankle/leg out...

Sorry for the long post, I'm writing this as I drink a double cappuccino (no I'm not at Starbucks)....

·
Registered
62 Posts
So right at the moment,

16Rally would you comment on the firmness/softness of the Low Seat compared to the Stock Seat?
Definitely Low Seat Harder than Stock

Also, just so everyone can compare the factory low seat to other options:
1) Installing the standard seat in the lower position will reduce the height by 20mm from 870mm to 850mm.
2) The low seat is lower than stock by 30mm, so installing it in the lower position will lower the height to 820mm which is a total reduction of 50mm. I have confirmed this by taking actual measurements.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts