Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of buying a 2018 AT when they become available. I’m short, but can sit reasonably comfortably with the standard seat in the low position. I don’t like the look of the gap though, so might get a low seat and set it in the high position. My question is which option is more comfortable?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the low seat which I keep in the high position. I did not notice a difference in comfort, however take my experience with a grain of salt, I ride other bikes with 2x4s for seats... (ktm, mx and enduros).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Prefer the comfort of the low seat, I did 15,000 miles on it and will swap it over to my new adventure sport when it arrives ,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda at lower seat

I have the Honda low seat in the lower position. My inseam is approx. 31 inches. I can flat foot with both feet, and that is the way it should be, otherwise if the set height is too tall and you cannot place both feet flat on the ground then you are at risk for a tip-over resulting in damage to the bike and some embarrassment....SHUMBA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I ordered a new AT last year and ordered the low seat with it and take it from me, the low seat is hard as '@#$%' !!!
I tried to persevere with it, did about 600 miles on it but in the end I gave up, it was ok for short journeys but you spend a couple of hours in the saddle and you're gonna know about it. I swapped back to the standard seat and it was like heaven so flogged the low seat on eBay
Just my opinion but don't do it, it's not worth the pain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One foot on the ground makes the bike stable. Well it is nice to have both feet flat footed, it really is not needed.
Just lean the bike to the foot that is touching the ground and you will be flat footed!

I have the Honda low seat in the lower position. My inseam is approx. 31 inches. I can flat foot with both feet, and that is the way it should be, otherwise if the set height is too tall and you cannot place both feet flat on the ground then you are at risk for a tip-over resulting in damage to the bike and some embarrassment....SHUMBA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a stock replacement low seat in black because they do not offer one for the Tri-Color version and then found some used stock covers on ebay and put the front one on the new seat

·
Registered
9 Posts
The low seat came on my ‘17. I have it in the higher position and have no complaints. I’m 5’10” with a 32” inseam. The seat seems firmer than most, but it’s way better than the last couple bikes I’ve had. I have a stock regular seat still in the box if anybody wants to buy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If comfort is an issue, consider a custom seat made especially to fit your particular butt. A little pricey, but people who do it swear by them. So, the low seat with a custom pad might be your answer.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have both seats low and regular seat.
I only use the low seat during the winter months when I need a good secure 2 feel flat on the floor.
As soon as I can I always swap back to the regular seat as the comfort is so much better. The short story is the low seat has way less padding in it so harder on a long run.
my opinion of course and I am a big lad too

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is the seat height if you go with the optional lower seat (not the standard seat on low position). Anyone have a link to one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Somewhat related yet unrelated - I ordered the "lower" seat from Corbin. I'm 5'10" (32 inseam) and while I didn't absolutely need it lowered, I prefer to have more footing when moving the bike around in parking.

While it's gorgeous, I'd caution against any short riders buying it. It's certainly lower, but the seat is flatter/wider and definitely makes it harder to get your feet down. I found that the stock, "higher," seat is better for reaching the ground because of its steeper slopes on the sides. I still leave the Corbin on though - 90% of my riding is street/highway, but for any dirt riding, the stock seat goes on so I can anchor my leg confidently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the OEM low seat and I have to say as far as planting my feet lower, I don't find it makes a big difference. I don't know if it's because the low seat is a little flatter and keeps your feet wider? Not sure but it didn't make the difference I was expecting. I should probably measure just to make sure Honda didn't send me another regular seat by mistake lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is the seat height if you go with the optional lower seat (not the standard seat on low position). Anyone have a link to one?
Seat heights are as follows:
STD seat in STD position = 370 mm
STD seat in LOW position = 350 mm
LOW seat in STD position = 340 mm
LOW seat in LOW position = 320 mm

It is true that people with short legs, myself included, do not gain a true 30mm advantage by switching to the low seat. That is because the low seat is much wider at the top. It looks as if Honda took a horizontal blade and sliced some foam right off the top. Not much effort was put into sculpting the low seat into a more anatomically friendly shape.

·
Registered
79 Posts
After test riding a 2017 with the STD seat in the STD position found I am fine with that. Rather keep the seat as high as possible so there is less stress on my knees. Now just need my 2018 to get here (now dealer says August)...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts