Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I now have my AT AS just over a week and with only a few hundred km's I really am enjoying it all. Especially dct. My first experience of dct and Wow it really does improve the riding experience.
Ive the low seat fitted and its pretty harsh.
There are very few mm of foam padding at the rear and you can unfortunately feel the lack of foam pretty much instanty when you sit on board. I needed the low seat to help my feet touch the ground, but not at the expence of comfort.
I will fit the standard seat this coming weekend to see if any improvement.
My last bike was a 2018 Tiger1200 and even its low seat was made with medical grade gel type seat foam. It was an easy all day comfortable seat, so I'm really seeing the downgrade this low honda Seat is offering. I'm dissapointed in this seat.
Maybe a 20-30 mm lowering kit, (although I don't see any available yet) with the standard seat would be better for me.
All opinions welcome 馃榿

Super Moderator
The low seat uses the same seat pan as the standard seat, but reduces the amount of foam, so it does tend to be harsh.

If you do find you need the lower height of the low seat, perhaps you can find a shop that does custom seats who can add better quality foam and/or a gel pad to it.

Otherwise I believe you will find the standard seat much more comfortable if you can deal with the height with it in the low position.

I purchased a low seat for my wife when she first purchased an AT, but she only used it twice and adjusted to the standard seat instead.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I now have my AT AS just over a week and with only a few hundred km's I really am enjoying it all. Especially dct. My first experience of dct and Wow it really does improve the riding experience.
Ive the low seat fitted and its pretty harsh.
There are very few mm of foam padding at the rear and you can unfortunately feel the lack of foam pretty much instanty when you sit on board. I needed the low seat to help my feet touch the ground, but not at the expence of comfort.
I will fit the standard seat this coming weekend to see if any improvement.
My last bike was a 2018 Tiger1200 and even its low seat was made with medical grade gel type seat foam. It was an easy all day comfortable seat, so I'm really seeing the downgrade this low honda Seat is offering. I'm dissapointed in this seat.
Maybe a 20-30 mm lowering kit, (although I don't see any available yet) with the standard seat would be better for me.
All opinions welcome 馃榿
I bought the low seat for the same reasons. It has made it easier to use the bike. As I get more comfortable with the ATAS I may try the original saddle.

Super Moderator
I bought the low seat for the same reasons. It has made it easier to use the bike. As I get more comfortable with the ATAS I may try the original saddle.
That is what my wife did. She actually adjusted much quicker than she thought she would. We purchased it as a "security blanket" of sorts, but it was almost never used.

I am going to strip the cover off of it and send it to Seat Concepts to get the first of two "rally" seats done. Because she has also discovered that she prefers the shape of my ATAS seat to the comfort seat of her 2017 model.

Super Moderator
Will do. I've emailed a couple different custom seat companies so far. Waiting on responses.
I could give you a couple of good suggestions for shops in Colorado, but unfortunately that doesn't help you much in Ireland :(

Registered
5'8" here, I also purchased the low seat but became comfortable with the bike before the seat arrived. That said I hated the low seat and forced myself to give it a week before switching back. Since this bike is my daily commuter my butt started to hurt the moment I got on the bike after about day 3. I'm holding onto it and will likely take it to corbin to have them custom pad it for me.

I was due for new boots so I ordered a pair of alpine star belize boots. My old boots had a very thin sole and I think I gained a little over an inch with the new boots. I can now just about flat foot on the normal seat in the low position.

Registered
I guess it's what you're used to. Maybe cause I have a history riding bicycles and still ride MTBs, I have zero issues with the Low seat foam. I had the low seat on my 2016 AT and now on my 2019 ATAS. Since I ride 50/50 being able to "dab" when necessary without dropping the bike is a must for me. Any seat gets me sore if I ride too long, but I don't find the OEM low seat to be a problem. For me a softer seat is worse. It allows the padding to push up into my tail bone or tender bits which is worse.

As suggested find a local shop who can help you customize the padding.

Registered
I have the honda low seat and it is harsh after about 40 minutes
Sargents had a sale for the month of may and I bought one of their low seats....it arrives jun 3.

Registered
I'm 5'8" and I have absolutely no problems flat-footing or pushing back my 2020 ATAS with the factory seat at the lowest position. This is the first time I've found the OEM seat from Honda to be very comfortable and I can actually ride the whole day without my butt or back hurting.

Super Moderator
Incredibly, I find the Honda OEM saddle on the '19 AT comfortable, many times more than more previous Hondas.
Well, they say there is a seat for every butt and a butt for every seat. If the OEM works for you, no reason to change it.

I find it OK up to about 250 miles, beyond that my comfort starts to decline. I am going to see how the Seat Concepts mod goes. I did like the Seat Concepts seat I had purchased for my KTM 690 Enduro.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 5'8" and I have absolutely no problems flat-footing or pushing back my 2020 ATAS with the factory seat at the lowest position. This is the first time I've found the OEM seat from Honda to be very comfortable and I can actually ride the whole day without my butt or back hurting.
To quote height as a comparison to how easy it is to touch the ground isn't the same for every1.
I'm 5'9" and can barely get the fronts of my feet on the ground on the same bike and saddle as you.
Height isn't as relevant as your inseam leg length is.
My trousers leg measurement is 29" and I know of some who would have 32" and be same height as me.
if my feet were 2 or 3 inches closer to the ground I'm sure I'd touch down easier too.
But there's more ways than 1 to skin a cat 馃槣

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I've sent away my low seat today to a custom seat guy.
It'll come back to me with medical type gel pad inserted and topped with a type of memory foam to smooth.
My preferance then is to use the original seat cover to keep it looking oem.
Should be able to keep the low height and also end up much more comfy than the standard seat too.
I'll update in a week or 2 after I get it back.

Registered
Well, they say there is a seat for every butt and a butt for every seat. If the OEM works for you, no reason to change it.

I find it OK up to about 250 miles, beyond that my comfort starts to decline. I am going to see how the Seat Concepts mod goes. I did like the Seat Concepts seat I had purchased for my KTM 690 Enduro.

I think 250 miles is really good, assuming that the butt is reset after, say, a 20+ minute break stop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts