Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to say I will be an owner of '18 ATASDCT this Friday if all goes well. I have read about the AT and watched a ton of videos and I know it is what I want. I'm 71 and started riding again, after 35 year layoff, in '03 and logged over 250,000 miles on 5 bikes.
My last road bike was an '08 BMW K1200LT that I put 113,000 miles on.
I'm trading in my '12 KLR 650 as it was never comfortable on the road but was fun on my local fire roads and the hunting double track in the national forest.
I like the idea of being comfortable for 400-600 mile days and the opportunity to go up that dirt road. And I will be doing that on a bike with 300 fewer pounds than my loved LT.:smile2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:wink2:I got the '18 ATASDCT Friday but didn't have time to do a proper ride. So, Saturday I did get to ride 160 miles with all but 10 in the rain. I love this bike. A Tiger guy found me in a restaurant to say how much he liked the look. Then, in the rain, a guy on the highway rolled his window down to yell 'nice bike'!
I didn't realize how tall it sits until I was passing a tractor trailer and only looked up a little to see the driver.
It got my attention when I gave it too much throttle to pass and it dropped from 6th to 3rd.
I plan to:
1. Run the stock tires for a while and then go for more off road shoes
2. Put a real horn on it
3. More up front lighting
4. I used to be 6'3" and standing felt like I need less bending. I'm going to look for drop pegs that are
better than the OEM. I'm thinking drop pegs vs risers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
4. I used to be 6'3" and standing felt like I need less bending. I'm going to look for drop pegs that are
better than the OEM. I'm thinking drop pegs vs risers.
Ha! Me too! I used to be 6'3'' but I seem to be getting just a bit shorter over time! I'm now just over 6'2''. Another part of getting older... :smile2:

Ps. My sister lives in Swansboro. You guys had a bit of a scare there recently. Hope it worked out OK for you--not too much damage.

Oh, and welcome to the ATAS world, man.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Garyh,
Hurricane Michael was a scare but Florence was the real deal. We lost house interiors after roofs were damaged but I don't think there were any houses taken away like in FL.
Your Profile doesn't tell where in VA you are. I am hoping to link up with other AT guys in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts