Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried the maintenance free chain from BMW? It’s a 525 pitch and comes in 127 link. Sounds like a game changer if true.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
A "maintenance free" chain, hmmmmm. This ought to be good.
Scott
Well, On edit: I just took a quick look around and found it. While it sounds pretty good, I'd have to see some real world test results to see if it is, in fact a MAINTENANCE FREE chain. Should be good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder if this chain will fit other bikes? I know BMW have it for 2 of their models but some other makes must run 525 pitch chains and therefore could utilise these? not sure what the AT runs?

The thoughts of a fit and forget chain is appealing though they are pricey! :whistle:

·
Registered
38 Posts
A "maintenance free" chain, hmmmmm. This ought to be good.
Scott
Well, On edit: I just took a quick look around and found it. While it sounds pretty good, I'd have to see some real world test results to see if it is, in fact a MAINTENANCE FREE chain. Should be good.
NOTE TO SELF .... I must look down through threads before posting!!! I have just asked the same question :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
3,427 Posts
I wonder if this chain will fit other bikes? I know BMW have it for 2 of their models but some other makes must run 525 pitch chains and therefore could utilise these? not sure what the AT runs?

The thoughts of a fit and forget chain is appealing though they are pricey! :whistle:
The AT OEM chain is 124 Links / 525 Pitch through the 2019 models. I believe it is the same for the 2020+ models, but not sure.

As for the cost of the BMW M Endurance chain. It is manufactured for BMW by Regina Chain. Currently, it is manufactured exclusively for and branded as BMW. So they can charge what they want. But Regina will likely at a later time manufacture it under their own name in various sizes. Prices may drop at that time, particularly if other manufacturers also offer a competitive product.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 AT Manual Clutch
64 Posts
I say there must be some type of scheduled "required" maintenance. What about the sprockets? EVERYTHING wears. I don't mind cleaning, lubing or adjusting my chain, part of the fun of owning a motorbike. Time will tell. Not to mention riding off road multiplies the attraction of abrasive materials.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I say there must be some type of scheduled "required" maintenance. What about the sprockets? EVERYTHING wears. I don't mind cleaning, lubing or adjusting my chain, part of the fun of owning a motorbike. Time will tell. Not to mention riding off road multiplies the attraction of abrasive materials.
I know ... I was thinking the same, they explain it away here ... BMW Motorrad presents the M Endurance chain.
Sprockets will wear of course.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If it can stand the salt from the UK roads in winter I will be impressed. But surely the side plates are going to end up red rusty. I wonder if there would be a special coated link so we could cut the chain and fit it ourselves or whether it has to be factory fitted.
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi guys,
I just fitted this 2021 M Endurance chain on my 2016 S1000RR. Only part that doesn't fit is the rear sprocket. It also have 45 teeth and almost identical design but different distance between 5 holes . So i bought an aluminium Renthal sprocket. The chain is regular 525 chain so it can be mounted on any bike. The chain kit i bought included a masterlink for closing it. I didn't cut any link, just replace rear sprocket. The front one is good. I only had 300 km so i don't know about longevity, but i will clean/lube it from time to time. I weighed 2016 worn rear sprocket and 2021 new one and was a little shocked . 2021 oem weighs 688 grams and 2016 oem weighs 826 grams , meaning 138 grams les for 2021 one. The sprockets front and rear looks nothing special, just as regular 2016 ones.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Wheel Tire Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire
Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Gear
Crankset Bicycle Gear Bicycle part Rim
Crankset Gear Bicycle part Wood Rim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts