Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to ride the MABDR a couple weeks back....incredible ride with the leaves changing. We had great weather (only one full day of rain), awesome traction and spectacular scenery. Hit the Cherohala and Tail of the Dragon on the way back south to cap off the ride. I thank gpskevin for the work he has put into the tracks...(MABDR - gpsKevin Adventure Rides) - copied them over into Gaia GPS and ran it on the phone the entire time, no issues with a Garmin backup. HIGHLY recommend this ride for the Africa Twin, its like this trip was built for the AT. Good mix of twisty country roads and off road. You can camp, hotel, or both, plenty of great historic places to see and awesome food along the way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the MABDR report! Just curious, how did the “other” Honda do? It was my second pick had the ATAS not come along in 2018.
Surprisingly my buddies VFR1200X DCT did awesome. We were concerned that it would have issues with the off-road portions, but it handled everything just fine. We weren’t exactly ripping up single track, but for this ride it handled everything equally well as my ATAS....No time was wasted waiting for him to catch up while off-road, way more capable bike then most people might think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just got done with the **** or Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail last month and looking at the MABDR for next spring. What is the ratio of gravel / trail to paved?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got done with the **** or Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail last month and looking at the MABDR for next spring. What is the ratio of gravel / trail to paved?
I would take a wild guess and say approximately 35-40% gravel/trail to paved. Broken up pretty well that you ride trails for a while, and then get a nice break on paved, then back to gravel. Great mix for what I prefer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the opportunity to ride the MABDR a couple weeks back....incredible ride with the leaves changing. We had great weather (only one full day of rain), awesome traction and spectacular scenery. Hit the Cherohala and Tail of the Dragon on the way back south to cap off the ride. I thank gpskevin for the work he has put into the tracks...(MABDR - gpsKevin Adventure Rides) - copied them over into Gaia GPS and ran it on the phone the entire time, no issues with a Garmin backup. HIGHLY recommend this ride for the Africa Twin, its like this trip was built for the AT. Good mix of twisty country roads and off road. You can camp, hotel, or both, plenty of great historic places to see and awesome food along the way. View attachment 58246 View attachment 58247 View attachment 58248
Nice Ride Report. I joined my Brother in Fall 2019 for some riding around that area, Cherohala Tail of the dragon etc. all paved bcuz he had just bought his VStrom and I rented a Harley (flew in from OR). I remember much of the trip wishing I had my AT. Might be worth planning a return shipping the AT and getting him out on the gravel with his VStrom.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Going to be doing the same ride first week of May. Also might continue up the NE BDR but unsure at this time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Going to be doing the same ride first week of May. Also might continue up the NE BDR but unsure at this time.
I'm doing the NEBDR this year. Local Intel convinced me to go in June or September. Basically to avoid mud/cold /bugs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts