Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off - it works.
People might remember that I have bought and tried almost everything that's out there, and ended up with a DIY cut down screen.
This was/is OK but having worked through the various screens and fittings I think I have sussed the problem and from what I had read of the Madstad they had too.

For me - and I can't emphasise that caveat enough - the problem has nothing to do with the height of the screen and everything to do with the width. And just as with any adventure bike, the screen is too vertical causing massive turbulence off the edges. It's worse on the Africa Twin because the screen has to have cut-outs at the sides to avoid the handguards colliding with it.

The symptoms are buffeting and peak vibration. Ok I'm using quite a wide helmet in the Nolan N40 but hey it can't be much wider than most other shells.

The Madstad screen solves the problem by taking the screen forwards and away from the plastic fairing which allows them to make it wider (by probably 75mm overall) but just as importantly they can build in an adjustable rake (55 to 65 degrees). And because there's such a gap at the base of the screen they can do without any vacuum prevention slots and cut-outs in the screen itself.

.... and it works for me - it's almost perfect. In fact it's reduced the buffeting so much that at first I found I was riding 10mph faster everywhere. I said almost perfect, because there is still a deep bass rumbling caused by minor vortices tumbling off the edges. And I think they could have gone another half inch wider each side which might have eliminated those, but it's good enough. I did 8 hours in the saddle yesterday and could have carried on for another hour or two.

The screen and brackets are beautifully made particularly the quality of the acrylic or perspex blade. They advised the 20 inch which looked to tall for me as I was fitting it, but they were spot on. In the position I prefer - lowest height, I can see the road 20 metres ahead. In the highest position I'm really looking through it so I don't think I will use that one. The real difference on the road though was being able to rake it back which made for a much smoother ride than with it upright.

I will add some more thoughts later but in the meantime here's a pic - for such a big screen I don't think it looks out of place on the AT at all.
Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mike, I agree with you 100%. I have the Madstad with brackets and it is the only combo that helped me. I tried the oem and 2 others, and only the Madstad works for me also.
I have pointed that out on this forum before, but have not seen many comments about it. The price is a little high, but well worth it, and beats continuously buying another one that does not work!!! Any shield that does not move forward enuf to allow air under, is simply a waste of time, at least for me.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is expensive - £300 or perhaps $350 but as you say it is worth it if the other screens and devices don't work for you.
I have bought the Swegotech fork things, Batzen screen adjusters, MRA sport screen, Honda OEM standard screen, Honda Touring screen, add-on vario deflector, and Slippyscreens low profile screen (which I cut down and it is OK-ish). They probably cost me £500 so I wish I had gone straight for the Madstad.

Some other good points. I now don't have to stop and clean my visor of dead flies, and I can ride with it fully open if I want to.

Also if like me you have invested in one of the german satnav brackets to fit to the Honda 13mm bar then fortunately the Madstad crossbar does not interfere with it. But it was a very close thing as you can see from this picture

Some criticisms and suggestions.
You ca't really use this screen off road because rough ground makes it wobble. That's because it's only fastened at two points and those points are only about 60mm apart. Furthermore if you want to make the screen instantly adjustable you need to leave one of these nyloc nut bolts 'not-tight' so it can slide in a slot.
Everyone seems to use different sized allen bolts for their screens but Madstad have gone for Phillips headed bolts - not a good idea IMHO. (but easily swapped of course).
The instructions need completin or updating as I suspect it would have been easier to fit the brace crossbar first rather than trying to get it in place at the end, and they have changed their supplies of rubber and plastic washers but not updated the instructions.
A long-term worry has got to be whether the Honda framework or the Madstad screen mounting frame will suffer from stress fatigue because of the wobbles on rough roads. This is of course made worse if you have a satnav fitted.
They use only the lower two sets of holes in the Honda framework (and tell you to remove the rubber boot from around the tops, but with hindsight I cant see why). So the top hole of the Honda legs is unused. I think if I am certain that the screen only needs to be in the one position for me, that I may make up two nylon spacers (about 50mm) and drill the screen and fasten it to those top holes.

By the way the best position for me at 5'10" with a 31"inseam is with the screen in the lowest setting and raked almost fully back.
Here are some more pics

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Madstad was one of my earliest farkles based on my experience with one on my KLR650. I use it full down and full forward. With my tank bag on, I have no turbulence. I honestly think the tank bag makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've been tempted recently by the Touratech medium (similar in size to the oe screen) screen even tho' I'm happy enough with the short MRA screen. But the thing that's stopping me pilling the trigger is the price !! How can TT charge so much is beyond me and I fear of wasting a chunk of money should it be no better than the oe one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ha, just go for the Madstad screen and adjustable brackets, and save yourself frustration and $$$!
I am not familiar with the TT, but if it does not move the shield to a position where air can come under it, in my opinion, it will not stop the turbulence like the Madstad......

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is very subjective. I think my Africa Twin looks best with a cut down screen like the first pic below. But if I want to go touring then the Madstad is much more practical, and looks OK as per the second pic below. What is slightly irritating is that it's not a 5 minute job to swap bewteen the two, nor could I take the Madstad in one of the panniers on tour in case I needed it.
Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes it is very subjective. I think my Africa Twin looks best with a cut down screen like the first pic below. But if I want to go touring then the Madstad is much more practical, and looks OK as per the second pic below. What is slightly irritating is that it's not a 5 minute job to swap bewteen the two, nor could I take the Madstad in one of the panniers on tour in case I needed it.
Mike
Yes, the size is a blessing and a curse. I personally think utility is beautiful, so I appreciate the looks of the Madstad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Having just got back from a 3000 km journey I have to say that while the stock screen isn't perfect, I don't think it is that bad. I was doing 130 km/h + and yes there is some buffering but no more than any other bike I have owned. I can live with it and in a way I like to have these little annoyances it's character building ;0. You should try doing some long trips on a old single that makes your hands and arms feel like there are thousands of small ants running all over them at the end of the day. If you want a bike that has solved this issue buy a 30 grand k1600 bmw or a busa or something. These are adventure bikes that are trying to do a lot of things to alot of different riders so of course they can't get all the aspects perfect.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having just got back from a 3000 km journey I have to say that while the stock screen isn't perfect, I don't think it is that bad. I was doing 130 km/h + and yes there is some buffering but no more than any other bike I have owned. I can live with it and in a way I like to have these little annoyances it's character building ;0. You should try doing some long trips on a old single that makes your hands and arms feel like there are thousands of small ants running all over them at the end of the day. If you want a bike that has solved this issue buy a 30 grand k1600 bmw or a busa or something. These are adventure bikes that are trying to do a lot of things to alot of different riders so of course they can't get all the aspects perfect.
That's very true and IMHO if the buying public want an upright adventure bike that looks like a cross country Dakar bike then it cannot have anything other than a smallish upright screen. And this format bike is NOT the sort of bike manufacturers would design for high speed highway touring. Those sort of bikes either take the rider down low and forward behind the screen or move the screen so far forwards that it can be raked back to prevent turbulence and be so wide as to even protect the pillion. And the best ones put touch button height control too. They also make sure that other things that will cause buffeting for the rider like mirrors and handguards are integrated into the huge fairing rather than interfering with the smooth airflow like they will do on an adventure styled bike. BTW before I took my low screen off I removed the handguards to see if they were causing buffeting, and if they were it wasn't much. Another simple test I was going to do but can't be bothered now I have the Madstad fitted, was to turn the mirrors inwards and try that for a short ride.

Finally some thoughts on putting up with the buffeting. Yes you can - I did for 5 years - but the effects are IMHO insidious. They are tiring, particularly for older riders like me. We have a 1.2 kilo helmet and a 5 kilo head being shaken lightly for several hours at a time - this demands strong neck and shoulder muscles. And the higher frequency vibrations from the turbulence affect vision. Even more so if you wear specs to ride - I remember my Rocket screen causing the specs to vibrate so much that the whole view was just a blur. Incidentally you mention the trials of riding an old single (admittedly in the context of the engine vibrations), but yesterday I rode my Rocket which is now screenless, and I wore an open face helmet and it was blissfully unbuffeting - just a whisper of smooth air all around the helmet and shoulders.

Finally finally:smile2: a controversial point. Given my arguments above about the nature of adventure styled bikes I cannot see how some people can fit the screens and devices that I have fitted to mine and eliminate the buffeting when I could not. The only explanation to me is that they are very much smaller than me, ride much slower than me, fail to identify buffeting or that it's my imagination that the buffeting was still there.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree totally that buffering can be very tiring. Even for me and I am only 32. I did 1100 km in one day two weeks ago and when I got of the bike at the end of it I felt like I had run a marathon. By the end of it I was taking breaks every 30 minutes or so. But that could of also been the seat as well I suppose. I am starting to see the appeal of those big touring bikes. Less buffering, cruse at 180 km/h, it is appealing if you want to do a big ride, like riding around Australia.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ha. I made an iron butt run from Houston to Jacksonville on my KLR650, and another getting home. I did three in-state saddle sore 1000s on the KLR. I know about riding a thumper all day. After getting home from Jacksonville, I bought the Africa Twin.

Oh, the KLR had a Madstad as well. The wind protection wasn't why I switched bikes. The Madstad is brilliant; the single cylinder was not what I needed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided to do the experiment with the mirrors. I turned them 180 degrees so that they were completely inboard. And the result ? ....... not much difference. I was suprised because I though a lot of the low speed thumping was coming from them.
I now think it must be coming from the edges of the upstands on the plastic fairing. When I had the madstad raked back fully this morning, I could feel a lot of rough air coming from these upstands (left and right at the bottom of the screen). Pulling the screen back until it was upright, almost stopped the turbulence and the air flow was much smoother round the base corners of the Madstad. But the upright screen caused more turbulence to break off from the midpoint of the screen and it's top edge. I'm now back to the best compromise of it being a little bit back from its fully raked position Since the range - they say - is 55 degrees to 65 degrees (presumably from horizontal, I would say I'm running it at about 58 degrees and getting goodish results.
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
your right about stress on the oem honda factory windscreen mount
After riding 8k miles to the top of alaska and back with the mount cracked at one of the welds
A new frame is $150 plus
Has anyone else had this problem ??
This is with the madstad screen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Or in the case of some us, per another thread, it was causing me a bad headache! I realize that all might not end up with a headache and the rider's height, position, and lean may effect exactly how you are affected. I can appreciate those in this thread that have sought relief to making their riding more enjoyable by using the Madstad screen. At the end of the day, isn't an enjoyable ride what we are seeking? More power to any of you that modify YOUR bike for YOUR enjoyment!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts