Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding with Hydraulic clutches for the better part of the last 7-8 years on my moto and woods bikes, I decided to try the Magura Hymec conversion on the AT.

Install is a breeze and I was able to skip the removal of the side panel to get the clutch slave into place. I took pictures of the process and found a few techniques to help the process along. Namely, loosening a cable guide under the right side of the tank to allow the clutch slave to pass through. Adjustment is simple and the whole install took me about 30 minutes.

I have about 500 miles on the clutch now and really enjoy the ease of use when in traffic. Shifting is smoother and the clutch adds refinement to an already stellar machine. Kit is around $299 US Retail and is ready to go out of the box. Just route the cable, make a quick adjustment if needed, and hit the road/trail.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
That's pretty cool. I've heard that they have much more feeling at the lever and work better. Do you have to change the fluid in it periodically like other hydraulic clutches?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I don't have much time this particular setup yet, I do have quite a bit of experience with the Hymec clutch conversion on MX bikes. I wouldn't say the interval between flushes is any greater or lesser than on a DOT 4/5 braking system. The Hymec uses a mineral oil by the way.

Hymec (Hydraulic from Mechanical)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Curious on the potential conflict with Barkbusters. I will have to check out the Magura kit. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting.
Does the hydraulic clutch require less force?

It's not that the stock clutch requires much force (compared to other bikes I've ridden), but I feel I need two fingers to control it properly. In some off-road situations I'd like to use just the one finger (in order to get a better grip on the bars), but feel I don't have the proper strength/control in the one finger to accurately control the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts