Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to report that 4k miles and a cross-continent journey has shown nothing but great performance from my 2020 DCT. A bit of light off-road, majority of back road, and very little interstate has me thrilled with the purchase. (I did scope the tank at 200 and 1,000 miles and found no contamination.)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Happy to report that 4k miles and a cross-continent journey has shown nothing but great performance from my 2020 DCT. A bit of light off-road, majority of back road, and very little interstate has me thrilled with the purchase. (I did scope the tank at 200 and 1,000 miles and found no contamination.)

Ensure to scope the tank again at 5000 and/or 8000 miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ensure to scope the tank again at 5000 and/or 8000 miles.
Well, the scope is far and away. But I have a new gasket for the tank and will simply pull and clean the assembly as necessary. Based on the view of the welds though, I don't think I have an issue. knock, knock, knock ( or "touch" as the idiom goes elsewhere...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Aside from the Outback Motortek crashbars, I also added several powered items to make the machine more "livable":
1- Quad Lock inductive phone mount/charger
2- 2.5mm coax power for heated vest
3- SAE pigtail for trickle charger and tire pump
4- Quad Lock USB charger for Sena primarily but it is ubiquitous
5- Skene P3 tail lights
6- Vision X Solstices with 30° beam with amber tape for a little more conspicuousness
7- PC8 from Eastern Beaver to in the darkness bind them

I am waiting on Cyclops to complete the bracket design for their lights, then I will also add some potent spots to my high-beam function. GPS will follow in the future but I'm swamped at work for the next several months so the phone will navigate fine for the areas I will frequent.

I love the smell of fresh wiring in the morning! Smells like victory!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A word of advice, if you get the OEM aluminum bags (which I like very much), check the torque on the studs for the top box......One of mine went walk about and the other was trying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I picked her up at the dealer, I set the service intervals for maintenance at 4,000 miles and oil change at 600 miles. The oil change was done day 3 and is now counting down to the next one. The maintenance interval was set for the cleaning of the spark arresters. I've not had a machine before that had these. When do they typically get "bad"? Mine did not look in need of any attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Legacy tech?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Dieselboy.

I like some of the mods you've made and couple are in process for my new 2020 ATAS DCT ES as well. Previously I had a 2017 AT Manual and ran the Outback Mototek mid crash bars and the older version of the Skene's as well. I ordered and already received the newer version of the Skene's....I like the new style. Look a bit more robust than the older version. I actually broke multiple bulbs on the old set up. Question regarding your Eastern Beaver. Have you ever heard of or considered the Neutrino Element +? On my 2017 AT I had a PDM60 and it ran fine for about a year then it just fell of a cliff. The PDM guys weren't very helpful with support I might add. A buddy of mine recommended the Neutrino and I pulled the pin. Absolutely loved it. Already have a new one for my new AT. Very stable and no cliches. All the circuits are easily customize-able right on the app which has Bluetooth connectivity with the Neutrino. Thought I'd share. Good luck.

DiscoStu

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Have you ever heard of or considered the Neutrino Element +?
I have not. Previously, I've used AP1 and a couple of others. I like the PC8 because of the in-line connector to draw switched power, no splicing required this round. I'll look up the Neutrino.

...I like some of the mods you've made and couple are in process for my new 2020 ATAS DCT ES as well....Thought I'd share. Good luck...;
Thanks! So far so good. Good luck with yours as well. I'd rather just ride it, but truth be told, I do enjoy the customizing....to a degree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you like the Outback Motortek crashbars? Looking for some for my 2020 AT-ES/DCT. Thinking also of Hepco&Becker. Others?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you like the Outback Motortek crashbars? Looking for some for my 2020 AT-ES/DCT. Thinking also of Hepco&Becker. Others?
I like them very much. I've used various brands over the years and they are comparable. These are stout enough and allow the side panels to be removed without interference. Quality is good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Happy Fourth!

By dawn's early light.....

After a preliminary warm up in the Green Swamp (vicinity Lakeland, Florida, USA) I meander over to the Withlacoochee State Forest (vicinity edit: Dade City, Florida, USA)....because I now have a bike that allows me to venture to areas previously closed.... "Swamp" sounds more impressive than "forest" but the latter was much more challenging.

The first part of the forest is firm footing and shaded.

The second leg is very much different with copious amounts of sand. I was busy during the better sand pictures. Suffice to say this was only a foreshadowing.

As always, the picture does not do the slope justice. She napped after burying to the axles on a 30° sugar sand climb around the corner from this shot. I managed to back down to this point before losing it.

Bike is fine. I'm overheating (it is Florida....) so I'm walking to see if there is an alternate path before waking her back up...

We both strip down to wrestle and I finally win....

There is a by-pass I think I can use however I find a less than helpful sign, "closed to vehicles", which means I have to back track all the way back out. I estimate three miles of sandy track.
Fortunately the rain (red cells close by) does not make a swamp of the forest and I make it back to hardball before I get trapped.

....and now I consider the maiden voyage complete...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ditto. Looks like the right side pannier held up well. Nice.
Yes. I tried to stand her up as she initially lay but had to spin her down hill by dragging the rear wheel around. I was worried it would auger some damage into the bag or panels, but can't find any evidence of the event. I did pop the rubber mount on the right hand guard but that was easily reseated. I looked closely at the brackets and there is no shift anywhere.

Edit: Also, it restarted normally. I expected a stutter but she fired right up on first touch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That are nice pictures. You where driving alone? My son kicked me under my ass last time when I was offroad alone. He told me your bike is to heavy to get it up alone so he told me next take the motorWinch with you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That are nice pictures. You where driving alone? My son kicked me under my ass last time when I was offroad alone. He told me your bike is to heavy to get it up alone so he told me next take the motorWinch with you.
Thanks. Yes, alone. I do have a satellite transponder if I need to call for rescue but I have no desire to cultivate a riding partner for every venture. Were any of my friends interested, I would have happily ridden out with them but I tend to wander solo more often than not. I don't know the "motorwinch", which I assume is a lift assistant, but I have a small block and tackle that I carry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW I had intended to post about tires and apparently forgot....

I had the dealer mount Dunlop Trailmax Missions prior to picking up the bike on day one.

I rode out of the dealership in 48° rain and ran wet for three hours. Day two was install of electronics so no riding. Day three was break-in miles which included Sheep Mountain, meaning off-road and gravel, and the Chief Joseph, meaning high speed mountain switch backs. I finally rounded the day through Yellowstone National Park on to I-90, meaning 80MPH posted interstate. I am now in Florida which you have seen above with my mini-adventure.

These tires are fantastic. All that remains to be seen is longevity but performance is perfectly matched to the bike's capability. Cornering, speed, wet, dirt....all good.

I am currently over 4,000 miles and think 8k is probable.

Very happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts