Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help me? Im new here, and new with the bike.
Got a problem, I Can`t find the main fuse on my AT adventure sports 2018.
Did blow it when i installed the battery this afternoon. Short cutted with the 10 mm wrench, spark and everything.
I have 2 fuse boxes under the seat, but no main 30 amp.

Can anyone please advice?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
Ulf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I also found this picture online, but still i can`t find 30 amp fuse box.
I will try again after work...i feel so dumb!
Anyway, Thanks again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I also found this picture online, but still i can`t find 30 amp fuse box.
I will try again after work...i feel so dumb!
Anyway, Thanks again.
You are not dumb.. whats dumb is the worksop manual. this is the second mistake/omission Ive found in it.

it clearly shows the fuse to be under the front seat.. I have just checked my own bike and its NOT THERE.

So.. I can only assume that to make life difficult they have put it under the pillion seat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't believe the manual is wrong but the picture above can be a bit misleading. I believe its located on the right side of the bike right behind the cam chain tensioner. Its all part of the starter relay switch assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been talking on the phone with a local honda dealer here in Oslo, they also said this most likely is located on the starter switch relay.
Just follow the + wire from the battery he said.

I will check for easy access on the right side tonight.
Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes, the main fuse is on the right side exactly opposite of the battery.

And, if I may suggest, when disconnecting the battery, always remove and isolate the connector on the minus pole before touching the plus one. And, when reconnecting, always connect and cover the plus pole, before de-isolating and connecting the minus one. This way you won't risk blowing fuses.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I now know where it is. And its bizarre compared to what I am used to.. all the fuses in a single box easily accessed under the seat.

RHS of the bike look for this, the battery cover on the other side of the bike from the 'tool box'.

Its behind there. when you take off the cover.. its held on by a single bolt. you can immediately see a spare 30A fuse.

The actual fuse is on the top. if you have a shop manual this is shown on page 6/7

maybe this will work. 3rd image down. you can see the spares next to his thumb and the actual fuses on top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Solved, thanks to you guys, thank you!
But an hard and expensive lesson for me, the battery is also broken.
Well, lesson learned. Do not short cercuit these Li-ion batteries!
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Put me down as another to have apparently destroyed my Li-ion battery with an accidental short. Nothing turns on. Fuses aren't blow. Battery will read about 13V when removed but as soon as I install it and attach the pos and neg leads, voltage drops to a few volts. Don't see anything else this would be other than the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know an aftermarket alternative to the HY110 OEM battery? I've spent hours surfing the net but can't seem to find one that matches its size 112x70x110. The only one that comes close is Yuasa's AGM batt YTZ7V https://www.yuasa.it/ytz7v-ytz7v.html

·
Registered
577 Posts
Does anyone know an aftermarket alternative to the HY110 OEM battery? I've spent hours surfing the net but can't seem to find one that matches its size 112x70x110. The only one that comes close is Yuasa's AGM batt YTZ7V https://www.yuasa.it/ytz7v-ytz7v.html
I've only found one lithium based battery that will fit into the smaller battery box (2018+)
You also have to match the position of the (+/-) poles as the battery lays flat.
The Shorai is the one that ticks all the boxes and is reasonably priced with no performance issues although Shorai does not recommend it for the AT.
LFX14L2-BS12
I am running my 2019 with the Shorai currently at 2k miles- zero issues. I ordered from AMZN
Amazon.com: Shorai Xtreme-Rate LifePO4 LFX Lithium Duration Battery LFX14L2-BS12: Automotive

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
I've only found one lithium based battery that will fit into the smaller battery box (2018+)
You also have to match the position of the (+/-) poles as the battery lays flat.
The Shorai is the one that ticks all the boxes and is reasonably priced with no performance issues although Shorai does not recommend it for the AT.
LFX14L2-BS12
I am running my 2019 with the Shorai currently at 2k miles- zero issues. I ordered from AMZN
Amazon.com: Shorai Xtreme-Rate LifePO4 LFX Lithium Duration Battery LFX14L2-BS12: Automotive
I wonder why Shorai does not recommend it for the AT?

If its specifications equal or better the AT's requirements, and it appears the battery is slated for "Power Sports" vehicles (e.g. vibration durability), it is puzzling why they would disclaim. Maybe they simply haven't tested on the AT and therefore must say this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LFX14L2-BS12
Thanks! Will take a look at the Shorai. I too knackered the OEM battery the other day using an old OptiMATE 2 battery maintainer I had lying around. Even though it says it's good for LFP batteries on the box, I should have read the user manual again as it says "DO NOT USE FOR Li-Ion". Now the battery reads a nice big '0' on the multimeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the Forum HH.

Yeah, my Optimate 3 did not support the lithium-based battery.
Cheers! Didn't know you had to be a chemist to operate these things. A costly error and an easy one to make especially as there are several types of Lithium-ion technologies. I've been using the OptiMATE 2 on the Skyrich Li-Ion battery in my Husqvarna TE300i without a problem to date so I assume the Skyrich is LFP. Not sure what the ELIIY HY110 is. Anyway, you live and you learn...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shido LTZ8V Lithium Motorcycle Battery to fit CRF1000D Africa twin Replica (18) I'v just ordered on off of ebay for £115 (6thMarch21) I will let you know how I get on.. specs are slightly different to the oem, but if it starts and charges ok I'm happy to spin the bottle compared with £500 for an OEM from Honda. Check specs at https://www.afam.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SHIDO_CAT_18.pdf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts