Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people will use their AT for off road use but I was wondering if there are any of you who use it almost all for on road use? And if so what are your thoughts of the AT as an on road bike? Have you changed set up for the road? And if so what have you done?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I use the AT 75% road 25% off road , because in order to get to the good places i have no choice here in europe but ride normal roads , this bike is nearly perfect for me . It handles road work very well and if you have the balls it leaves many bikes behind in the rough stuff .
BUT if i was after a good bike to do 99% tarmac work i would look elsewhere , there are better "adventure" bikes out there ( triumph , bmw , yamaha , ktm ,... even the Honda's own crostourer ) .
If you buy this bike purely for road use you are wasting the true potential of this machine , but that does not mean that the bike will not work for you , just buy whatever you want and be happy .

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Africa twin commutes, does the motorway miles, copes with the twistys and will cope with whatever roads I find in front of me. It fits me and makes me feel good.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep, mainly road use, just like all my other Adventure bikes. I like the riding position, the style, the fact that my wrists don't hurt after 10 miles. Always been into trailie style bikes since my Suzuki TS100 @ 17 y.o. I've competed at MotoX and trials, can hold my own off road, and if being honest, I don't really need this type of large Adventure bike. But it's what floats my boat, and isn't that what matters ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the DCT version that i use almost always on road, and as other have said with a few adjustments i love it for the road. you would have to ride it a lot harder than me to find the limitations of the bike and i have not had any issues with the larger front wheel. I am 6ft 4 and 110 kg and reckon its great.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't see the 21" front wheel as a problem. The bike is both very flickable and stable and there's no chicken strips on my tyres. Maybe it's possible I could run out of tread, but so far no worries. In fact, my 1190 Adv wasn't as stable when loaded with panniers and would break into a weave once I went past 95 mph. By 105, I was dicing with death and knew I'd lose control which was annoying as fully loaded GS riders would sail past at 110/115 mph seemingly without a care in the world (German autobahns btw). I've had the AT up to a GPS verified 108 mph loaded with panniers and she was as steady as a rock.

As for changing anything for road use....Continental Trail Attack 2 tyres. Brilliant tyre, wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hahahahahaha I will also be using mine 70% on road and 30% off road I reckon, but not until ive ruined the oem tyres that came with the bike and replaced them with either Karoo 3 or the new Dunlop adventure ones! I do have chicken strips as well and hope to sort these out with my up coming trip to and along the Pyrenees next week lol... oh and I wont be doing the kind of speeds reported here! (to scary for me) but its nice to know that it can go very fast if required....

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm 100% road use, (unless I make a mistake) I don't even notice the 21 inch front wheel, I have 3 bikes on the road, and if for some reason I had to go down to just 1 bike I'd choose the AT,
Like davy, the style of the bike suits me, and there's not really much I needed to change, I think I'll be changing the tyres to Trail Attack 2 in the not to distant future,
The std screen is IMHO better than the tall one, but not quite right for me, so I sent off for the adjustable parts made by Batzen , I hope those do the trick,

·
Registered
229 Posts
100% road use, front is a little nervous when loaded with box and pillion at very slow speed, in traffic or getting on/off a ferry, stiffened up the suspension from stock but softened the front again to try calm it down, I'm going for Alpina tubeless rims and trail attacks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The std screen is IMHO better than the tall one, but not quite right for me, so I sent off for the adjustable parts made by Batzen , I hope those do the trick,
I've changed my standard screen for a shorter MRA screen. No more turbulence or buffeting at my peak but a few more bugs on the visor. I'd rather have than than trying to hide behind ever bigger screens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. I have had mine for almost a month now and has been all road riding other than one occasion when I was up a stone lane (really good fun btw) if I could find more in NI that didn't belong to home owners I might try it more lol. As a road bike I find it great. Riding position is excellent and pretty nimble when you want to get it through some twisties or even traffic for that matter. Only thing I have found is it can feel a little numb on the front at times. Is this my fork set up or a common feeling? (Not a complaint btw) I haven't changed the set up from new.

·
Registered
208 Posts
At age 65 my days of taking a bike this size on serious offroad terrain are over. However I will still ride it on relatively hard pack dirt roads and the like.

I also have a Triumph 1200 Explorer. I purchased that as a touring bike for long trips with my Wife and carrying luggage etc. That it does well, but it also turned out to be an excellent backroads bike when solo. I still have it, and will for some time. It is however a big lump and as I am not as strong as I used to be, manhandling it on a daily basis at my home can be trying. As such I ran a Honda NC700X along side it for both economy and ease of use, in short a general runabout. That turned out to be an excellent little bike especially on the backroads that I mostly frequent around this country. 70mpg was also very useful now that I am retired. However it had budget suspension and was giving my back serious grief on said backroads which at times can be very rough and bordering on dirt tracks. Then I saw the AT.

I replaced my NC with the AT. My reasoning was seriously good suspension and reasonable economy for a large capacity motor. Both those aspects are now a reality on my bike. It is also almost as light as the NC was and as such it is easy to push around and generally manhandle in and out of my Shed.

Now, back to your question. Yes, mine will be mostly used on roads. They will be really rough backroads way off the beaten track around Ireland. I have almost 2500kms on it by now and perhaps 10% of that was on dirt roads. However on the road I do not find it lacking. High speed, low speed it handles well. Yes, It requires a bit more input in the twisties than a more road oriented bike does, but that is ok. Its benefits far outweigh its disadvantages, and by back is grateful to it.

The larger front wheel. I have no issue with it. I had a similar wheel on my former KTM 950 Adventure. I remember being a bit anxious at first with such a heavy bike and such a skinny front wheel, but I soon got over it. My only wheel/tyre issue currently is with the OEM rear tyre. I was not impressed with it at first as it slipped on the road in the dry a couple of times when leaned over. I dropped the pressure a couple of lbs and it is better now. I am not sure yet what I will replace it with.

The only other issue I have with this bike is the unweighting of the back wheel under heavy braking, especially downhill. That can result in too easy lock up of the rear brake and I don't have abs. The partial remedy of course would be to firm up the suspension especially on the front but then one would lose the benefit of that lovely plushness. I will get accustomed to that though with time and a bit of adjustment of the rear brake pedal.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The DCT AT I have is a great road bike. It's comfortable and I can rail through twisties as fast as any other dedicated street bike that I've had. The handling is brilliant and the suspension really soaks up the bumps. I changed to tubeless to make it easier to fix flats so now the bike is pretty much perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had my DCT tricolour for 4 months and 4200kms of commuting to work. 100% road work with a good portion of gridlocked traffic.
I love the look of the AT, the DCT, the brakes and suspension. Haven't been all that comfortable with the riding position and find the 21" front wheel and wide bars do not give me the confidence I had with my previous bike, an nc700s, when battling with the tintops.
So, with some reluctance, today I traded the AT back on a new nc750x. With some cash in the back pocket. Will miss a lot of the AT features but back in a comfort zone in the traffic with the NC.
I have a SW Motech ALU rack and a pair of rugged roads rear foot pegs hanger covers for the AT if anyone is interested in saving a few dollars. I'm located in Brisbane, Australia.

·
Registered
208 Posts
NC's are good bikes. I had the X version prior to the AT. I only parted with it because the budget suspension was killing my back on rough back roads. With the AT that is no longer an issue. I was in traffic yesterday on the AT though and that is one occasion when I missed my NC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You make me a little worries ;-) - I commute on a 750x and was replacing it with the AT mainly down to the rough ride and the impact on my back. I commute around 110 to 250 miles a day and filter on the A2 into London for a good 3 miles a day through stationary traffic. I had considered the bar width any cause me issues over the 750x given what i see from the BMW GS folk i follow, but had not considered the 21 inch wheel - did you find it harder to balance and walking pace speeds or was it something else. - my bike is due this month (I had hoped) - thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts