Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making the jump from my '15 CB500X to the Africa Twin. I love my CB500X but it definitely isn't great for longer rides on the highway (required when screwing around on the back roads too much and late getting home). The AT checks all the boxes for me as far as capacity for Honda reliability, 2-up motocamping and backroad exploring in northern New England. My primary concern about switching from the CB500X to the AT is the jump in size (engine power + weight).

I'd love to hear what you rode before the AT and what adjustments you made? How long did it take you to get used to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rode an NC700X before getting my AT. The first difference I noticed was the height of the motorcycle. While I can flat foot it on the high seat position, it's definitely taller. The first similarity I noticed is that the weight felt very much like my old bike, with a low center of gravity. I found the AT immediately more comfortable ergonomically.
That first ride on the highway, the extra power was apparent (and a thrill), but we adapt so quickly, it became normal after a few rides. This bike is SO much more comfortable on the highway than my last one. I know there are many better touring machines out there, but from my perspective, it's a big increase in comfort at higher speeds.
The handling was different, but not as different as I thought it would be. I have a lot of fun on the road.
It is still fairly easy to maneuver around town. However, with the higher seat, I have a hard time backing up on a hill without jumping off and walking it back. I also find the geometry of the center stand a little awkward. It seems somewhat more difficult to get up on it than on other bikes (but still completely doable).
I'm really enjoying my AT and very glad I made the change.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" w/ 34" inseam. My CB500x is challenging ergonomically for rides longer than a couple of hours.
I'm 5'10" and I have a 33" inseam. The narrower body profile makes it easier to flat foot. I was less comfortable on the VFR1200X when sitting in it at the dealership. I got twinges in my knees on the NC700X on long trips, although the more I exercised the less I would have that issue. Sometimes I would sit on the pillion seat to stretch out. I did install handlebar risers on that bike. I'm planning on adding a 1" riser to my AT, and I did install the batzen windscreen adjuster and raise my windscreen almost three inches.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have 2008 Kawasaki concours one of the best motorcycle I have owned and still own. Riding the AT is a whole different experience of riding ''this is an amazing machine

·
Registered
56 Posts
My old bike with the AT.

Have I posted this picture elsewhere? The AT is way better on dirt but the DL650 had a better range with its 21litre tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I came from sportbikes...my licence insisted on it. I've had small bore dirtbikes in the past, but the AT has opened a whole new world to me - the world of long-distance off-road. Australia has thousands of miles of dirt highways and roads, and the AT is ideal for exploring it. It didn't take too long to get re-acquainted with riding on the dirt; I had a couple of low-speed front washouts and tumbles the first few times out, but all good - the bike is not that hard to get back upright unless you are stuck on a steep incline or something. Making the decision to get an AT was difficult at first, I was a road rider and really wanted a quality road bike. But the AT caught my eye at the dealer and I thought I'd try something different. For weeks I couldn't make my mind up whether to get the AT or a Tuono V4 1100 but in the end I took a gamble on the AT and it paid off - I love it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
KTM 1190 before the AT.Now have a fun bike,the AT,and a Versys 1000 for long distance touring with my wife on the back.Thought I would miss the performance of the KTM, and I do to an extent,but find I am enjoying the more sensible speeds and the oportunity to take in the sights on the AT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I changed from the Crosstourer Highlander DCT for the AT DCT due to the weight difference and chronic back problems. I have missed the torque/power and the sound of that V4 engine. However the AT compensates for that with great exhaust sound and the engine configuration which makes it feel like a V twin without the vibes. It also has enough torque/power for me and the disadvantages of chain drive and tubed tyres for me has been offset by a chain oiler and Bike Seal in the tubes. Finally the weight difference makes it a better bike for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I switched from a Yamaha tracer...to a dct AT... Like her that much ( notice the her..) That i leave the missus in the house and sleep with her in the garage....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm thinking of making the jump from my '15 CB500X to the Africa Twin. I love my CB500X but it definitely isn't great for longer rides on the highway (required when screwing around on the back roads too much and late getting home).
I'm surprised. I would have thought the CB500X excelled in all day comfort. The weakness I expect is modest power.

My AT shares my bike parking with my R1200R, and replaced a 1st gen FZ1. Both of those were good for touring and trips, and excellent for commuting. I expect the AT to be a great tourer, but haven't had a chance to find out.

Best bike I've owned for touring was a 2nd gen Versys, which is the most similar I think to your CB500X. So I would have thought the CB would be great for long rides.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a CRF450X before this with a full exhaust re jetted and with an 08 R-model Cam, resprung for my weight. Full Radiator Guards and Bash Plate and an IMS 3.2 to give me roughly a 70mi range. She's a brutal bike to ride very tiring. But ohhh so much fun.. it's just over half the power of the AT and just over half the weight so on road manners are non existant which is why I bought the AT so I can do what my 450 does but slower and then head down a dirt road to some where at 80mph

Attachments

Reactions: TourerInDC

·
Registered
256 Posts
I guess my first and last "Adventure" or dual sport bike was a 1974 Yamaha XT 500, just got rid of it last year, wish I had kept it. I did not realize what it was worth!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts