Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is strange , mine have jumped out of gear 3 times in 2500 miles , i initially thought that it was me not pushing the gear in fully but then it did it again , after roughly 1000 miles the problem dissapeared so i was thinking the gearbox is fully broken in , but then last saturday it did it again in 4 gear , it was pulling then it jumped out of gear so the revs vent right up and then it poped back in the gear on its own , never seen this on any of my previous bikes . Dealer does not believe me of course .
I also have had the exact same problem during the first 1000km I probably got a false neutral about 3 times in 4-5 gear, Mention it to the dealer and just got a blank look, Its had it first service fresh oil and see how it goes from now on shrug could just be tight gears not locating during break in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a few false neutrals too in the top couple of gears, mostly on the upshift. (only every now and again) Found I just had to be a little more positive with the left boot. Not a lot but I had to be sure of the click and not feather the lever as I had been doing on the previous V Strom. Not a problem IMO but I had to adjust my positivity. 2 1/2 K Km on her now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The downshift its the best of any bike that i have ever ridden , the upshift can be tricky especially if you have big feet like I do , it has got much better after the break in period and also I have got used to the bike more , I have adjusted the height of the lever because it was way too low for me , no bad shifts since , so I think it must be the operators ( my ) fault , also I have my friend testride my bike and he thinks that there is nothing wrong with the gearbox , also he knows that I am paranoid when it comes to my toys :nerd:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 400 plus on mine and I'm used to the clunky 2008 1200GS gear boxes.......this Honda transmission is silky smooth in comparison. I don't know what you guys are used to but I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'day All from Sunny Australia
I have been complaining to my dealer about the the gearshift on my new 2016 Africa Twin ever since i got it new, it changes gear like a Harley!! especially between 1st and 2nd, plus it jumps out of 5th and 6th gear under hard acceleration. I was talking to another Honda mechanic and he said that the Gold Wing has similar issues and he advised that when changing gear don't tap off ALL the throttle, I gave this a try and yes, if coordinated properly results in a nice smooth gear change, however, this machine is supposed to be an Adventure Bike in the Spirit of the original Dakar Africa Twin, when you're getting down and dirty you don't have time for coordinated gearchanges!! The dealer has now had it for 3 weeks and has had authority from Honda to pull it to bits, when I called to find out what they found I got a bit of a vague answer along the lines of "On one of the selector forks, the machining is not what it should be"??? They tell me that they've ordered the spares from Honda but they're not due to ARRIVE in Australia until end of July! by the time they've put it back together it'll be August so nearly 2 months with no motorcycle. I have now lost complete confidence in the Machine, which is a shame as I have been waiting (patiently) for the release of the NEW Africa Twin. As soon as I get it back its going on the market, although I'm sure these issues will affect the selling price! and I'm currently investigating my KTM options. 1050/1190. (of course the Dealer didn't believe me

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't give up on it SG. It's a fairly long throw - the lever moves further than some other bikes, and if you only move it partway it seems to find false neutrals. I had a few in the first few hundred km, but once I changed my shifting haven't had any since. The gearbox is a large part of how civilised the bike is, once you change gear the way it needs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Interesting that there is a poorly machined selector fork involved. Triumph's Explorer had a similar problem on first generation models in the bottom three gears, and again there was a selector fork involved. In that instance it was poor hardening but the same affect was experienced. The Triumph has a cassette gearbox and accordingly the fix was put in place in most instances while the owner waited for an hour or so. It took Triumph a while to get the fix going but once up and running it was freely available.

I think the issue might be avoided by not being too aggressive with the gearbox during break in. I have felt a notchiness in my AT occasionally in the top three gears. It is very random but does not occur most of the time. When I sense it I just don't lash on the power regardless, but pull the clutch and give it a second chance. So far so good.

One of my previous KTM's had a similar notchiness to the gearbox, much worse than my AT, but it never slipped out of gear. On some days it could be a proper pain. The proper function of a gearbox long term can depend somewhat imho, on how well it is treated in early mileage. I have seen some heavy booted individuals among my friends dishing out some cringe worthy treatment to gearboxes. For that reason they have never had a test ride on mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With 2000km my gearbox hasn't jump out of gear for 1000kms, just a small test I did was put the bike on the center stand and put it in 5th gear and with clutch out rotate the rear tire load the gear box, then if I was to slightly touch the gear lever it would find a false neutral. I did this at about 500km.
Now at 2000km if try to do the same thing I cant click it out of gear and find a false neutral and the gears feel solidly located, feels like they just take some time to wear in also adjusted the foot lever to suit so as to get a more solid gear selection.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a new manual with 380 miles and noticed while going down the freeway shifted from fifth to sixth the gear indicator showed a strange horizontal bar. I shifted back to fifth and up to sixth and the display looked fine. Other than that shifting has been super smooth. I did raise my shifter a little bit to better fit my boots.
I too had this exact same issue recently, and now on 3000 miles but doesn't seem to have caused a problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am at 750 miles now and the problem hasn't re-appeared anymore. I did have the bike on a rear stand the other day and played with shifting while the engine was off by rocking the rear wheel while I hand shifted up and down. When you use your hand, it is obvious the gear change from 5th to 6th has two steps in it while the others seem to have a single click. There is a slight middle click half way through the shifter travel. That must be what is tripping us up from time to time. I will try it again after some more miles, hopefully this will work itself out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I remember I think 6th gear is an overdrive (underdriven) gear. I wonder if that could cause the double click you've noticed. BTW I have 800+ miles and haven't missed a gear or think the transmission is clunky. My 1984 Husqvarna DOES have a clunky transmission.
It may depend on what you are accustomed to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got my bike back from the dealers (1st service and gearbox woes)
Oil changed from mineral to fully synthetic castrol power 1 10w 40

Gear-lever lowered one spline to match dealers test ride bike.

I didn't anticipate this on a Honda

However , someone I know has a brand new Triumph explorer ,
it clunks like crazy

He had a Honda before and had perfect gear shifts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Added another 1500km with 3500km in total and gear box is now smooth and haven't had a problem since wear the period. Personally I`d just put it down as a break in issue nothing to worry about and it sorts itself once the gear box is fully broken in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too had this in-between shifting, not shifting into a gear issues once during the first couple hundred miles. The dash actually showed - - - in the gear indication but once I realized I needed to be firmer with my gear selections I never had the issue creep back in. I'm well over 1,000 miles, past the break-in oil change, it's never done it again. I would say just ride it and put more mileage on, and shift like you mean it during break-in.

Bikes been great, rode two up around Lake Tahoe over the last weekend and due to traffic and coasting in some spots at my next fill up I was doing over 60mpg!! Two up!! I couldn't believe it. 170 miles and 2.7 gallons of gas! The more I ride it the more I love it. FANTASTIC bike Honda!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Further to my original post about manual gearbox issues, My machine has been at the Dealers since 6th June!! The spares were supposed to arrive 20th July, When I phoned them on the 21st, I was informed "oh, Sorry, the spares are now expected to arrive in Melbourne (I live in Adelaide) on 15th Aug!! I have repeatedly asked for a report on what the problem was but received zip. I asked for either a replacement bike or my money back and the answer I got was"it's not our policy to refund". I have approached the Consumer Council whose web site quite clearly says that if the defect is major I am within my rights to request a refund/ replacement. I never wanted it to get to this point but the dealer has been SO uncooperative that he's forced my hand. To make things worse, I'm a repeat customer with this dealer! I spoke with a friend of mine in the US who is an experienced Adventure Rider, he has recently purchased a manual AT and he has started to experience similar symptoms, I'd be very interested in other members who have had similar problems and what Honda have done about it.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am normally getting a false neutral between 5 and 6 gears on clutchless changes. Gearbox does not engage, revs high, then sometimes jumps into gear. Other times, I flap a bit and clunk it in with my foot.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts