Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally got my bike back, the dealer can't/won't detail exactly what they (Honda) did, so, took it home and the only improvement I noticed was that it no longer jumps out of gear, the original problem that I took it back for, ie the harsh gear changes still remains!!
When I started the machine the next morning and took it for a ride, I noticed that when it's cold (the bike not the ambient) the gear changes are smooth and slick, however, as the machine warms up the gear change progressively gets worse, especially between 1st and 2nd. In my view it therefore HAS to be lubrication related. The dealer has now contacted Honda (again!) and I'm taking it back this week for them to put a thicker oil in, as recommended by Honda. I'm really hoping this cures the problem as this has been an ongoing issue since I bought the machine in April!! Has any body else experienced similar problems in Australia ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've only got about 70 miles on mine. I've experienced the false neutral twice between 5-6 when upshifting. I have noticed that the clutch lever has some play at the fully released side, so I'll be adjusting that a little to see what happens. Anyone that has adjusted the shift lever to fix this, which way did you adjust it? Why and how well did it work?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've only got about 70 miles on mine. I've experienced the false neutral twice between 5-6 when upshifting. I have noticed that the clutch lever has some play at the fully released side, so I'll be adjusting that a little to see what happens. Anyone that has adjusted the shift lever to fix this, which way did you adjust it? Why and how well did it work?

Adjusting a shift or brake lever is totally a matter of personal choice. There is no single suggestion as to how to do so. The objective is to achieve a clean positive shift without having to do acrobatics with your foot to achieve this. The only aspect to be careful of is not to have the lever too low so that either your foot or the pedal touches the ground when well heeled over. I haven't had to adjust the gear lever on my AT but I certainly had to adjust the brake pedal as it was way too high.

My only other suggestion to all owners is to take it easy on the gearbox until there is at least a couple of thousand kms on it. Some folks are doing clutchless shifts right out of the crate. This, to me, is blatant abuse. I have experienced a slight notchiness on mine when new. I was ready for it as I have been on any new gearbox that I have encountered. I did not force matters other than trying a second attempt at changing when ever it happened. My AT now at 5000kms has a lovely slick box.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Finally got my bike back, the dealer can't/won't detail exactly what they (Honda) did, so, took it home and the only improvement I noticed was that it no longer jumps out of gear, the original problem that I took it back for, ie the harsh gear changes still remains!!
When I started the machine the next morning and took it for a ride, I noticed that when it's cold (the bike not the ambient) the gear changes are smooth and slick, however, as the machine warms up the gear change progressively gets worse, especially between 1st and 2nd. In my view it therefore HAS to be lubrication related. The dealer has now contacted Honda (again!) and I'm taking it back this week for them to put a thicker oil in, as recommended by Honda. I'm really hoping this cures the problem as this has been an ongoing issue since I bought the machine in April!! Has any body else experienced similar problems in Australia ??
I have noticed it too , the gearbox seem to work smoother at the start of the ride , then it gets bit clunky as the oil gets fully warmed up .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I must unfortunately add my voice to teh choir, experiencing way too many false gears from 1 to 2, as well as 5 to 6. Similarly, downshifting requires a sensitive spin of the gas with the clutch on in order to synchronize, and by and large I think this is getting worse ( bought nd hand with 2500 km, now 4000 on the counter)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have also experienced the " false neutrals" in 5-6. It happened a few times but I was chalking it up to shifting like a *****. I figure it just needs a more positive shift and not a lazy tap up like in 4 cylinder Hondas. But the other day it happened, and I kicked it -back - up into 6th and I noticed the gear read out was blank. actually this ... -- .
There is that little tick feeling if you click it up again in 6th, and the the number six popped up in the screen. Hmmm. I'm not really concerned about this. The shifting on the whole is smooth on mine at any temperature

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had mine jump out of 4th after shifting from 3rd, 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky also.
3500klms on the bike, I'll give it a few more klms and another oil change and see how it goes before i start worrying about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What was the result from trying the ticker oil? As stated by others here, the change from 1st to 2nd is fine at the start of the ride on my bike, but become progressively harsher as the bike does a few kilometres.

I am curious to see if a different grade oil brings about an improvement.
Has anyone else tried a different oil viscosity?

On a side note, I was riding the other day and a guy that I was chatting to was on a relatively new Ducati Multistrada, and I could not help noticing how it clunked extremely hard into first gear. I mean this was off the charts compared to what I believe we are talking about here. Also, I rode a friends BMW 1200 GS and honestly the box in it didn't feel much more refined than my father's 1969 boxer.

I too wish my gear box was as smooth at the end of the ride as the start, but compare to some other rides out there, it really isn't that bad. I had a mate ride mine who owns a Honda Blackbird and he reckons it changes pretty sweet.

It's sometimes easy to convince yourself that things are worse than what they really are sometimes!

:smile2:
Keep the shiny side up!

Wadeo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine has been exceptionally smooth from day one, perhaps because I came from Bmw 1200 GS LC
after several other BMWs

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm getting the same thing, probably at least 10 false neutrals between 5-6 in the first 200 miles...enough of them that I can actually anticipate it happening and lean into it so as not to get dooped by the lack of acceleration. I've owned 12 bikes in the last 2 years and haven't had anything like this before...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try being very direct with your shifts. I've only had it happened once between5th and 6th and I remember being really soft and gentle as I lifted up the lever. Read somewhere here to be more heavy footed and have never had it happen again. My friend with the GS 1200 reckons he gets false neutrals too and in his words it's ...his fault because he hasn't been direct enough. I think with a new bike you can sometimes over nurse things. If I hadn't changed my style I believe I would have had a lot more issues with false neutrals. Worth a try!

Wadeo

·
Registered
5 Posts
every time I ride the bike i'm getting loads of false neutrals mainly between 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a Honda dealer with 2000 miles on the clock, i'm now thinking there is a reason why the previous owner gave up on it after so little miles, i'm lucky that my dealer is very close to me and I have a good relationship with them so any problems will be sorted but its very disappointing on such a new bike, i've owned loads of Honda's and never had a problem with the gear box

Seem to happen more often under hard acceleration or pulling up a hill

Previous bike was a DCT Crosstourer, and reading these posts maybe I just need to re train my left foot and give the gear lever a good positive shift

·
Registered
20 Posts
false neutrals

every time I ride the bike i'm getting loads of false neutrals mainly between 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a Honda dealer with 2000 miles on the clock, i'm now thinking there is a reason why the previous owner gave up on it after so little miles...
I do experience the same as you, mostly 1st to2nd…for me this is a defect of some units, it will break up in 10000 kilometers or so...

·
Registered
208 Posts
every time I ride the bike i'm getting loads of false neutrals mainly between 2nd and 3rd and 5th and 6th, I bought my bike 2nd hand from a Honda dealer with 2000 miles on the clock, i'm now thinking there is a reason why the previous owner gave up on it after so little miles, i'm lucky that my dealer is very close to me and I have a good relationship with them so any problems will be sorted but its very disappointing on such a new bike, i've owned loads of Honda's and never had a problem with the gear box

Previous bike was a DCT Crosstourer, and reading these posts maybe I just need to re train my left foot and give the gear lever a good positive shift

I think I saw somewhere that someone took this issue back to a dealer and some gearbox internals were replaced. Perhaps selector forks, but I think that solved the problem.

On a separate note I think I recognise your profile name. Former Explorer owner ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After countless false neutrals between 4-5-6 and a handful of false neutrals on downshifts between 4-3 I'm gonna bring her in and make it official, something ain't right. I've owned and ridden lots of bikes, although this is my first honda, and I coach enduro riding (so i know how to shift) but it's getting to the point now where I'm constantly worrying about my shifts while riding, I mean I'm reeeeeally having to baby this transmission or riiiiiinginging, and for the first time in my life I'm wearing out my left toe on my boots from shifting at least twice as hard and 10 times more deliberate than any bike I've ridden.

People talk about it being the smoothest transmission they've ever felt...thats not my bike. Hit a falsey the first time i went up through the gears leaving the dealership, and even the good shifts don't feel positive enough...

I'll let y'all know what happens, I'm not looking for a buy back like I think that one guy was, I just want to get it figured out.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have had the very odd false neutral, self inflicted probably, its not really apparent at all for me. I do find the gearbox quite clunky though, needs a good solid shift. Neutral to first provides a good "clunk". Nothing to do with the chain or clutch cable free play. Its not the smoothest transmission I have ever had either but hopefully it might improve over time, only at 2K km.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had a number of false neutrals, all between 4th an 5th on the way up. 1200 miles on the bike now. Happens a few times a week.

I have been riding since 1979, and have had more than 50 bikes. I know how to shift and have many bikes that have NEVER had a false neutral.

There IS an issue with these transmissions. I hope mine goes away as the miles accumulate. If not, it will be fixed by the dealer or traded... No patience for a bad trans. It is one of the things that makes or breaks a bike for me.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had a number of false neutrals, all between 4th an 5th on the way up. 1200 miles on the bike now. Happens a few times a week.

I have been riding since 1979, and have had more than 50 bikes. I know how to shift and have many bikes that have NEVER had a false neutral.

There IS an issue with these transmissions. I hope mine goes away as the miles accumulate. If not, it will be fixed by the dealer or traded... No patience for a bad trans. It is one of the things that makes or breaks a bike for me.

Rob
I'll have mine at the dealer on friday for the beginning of what is hopefully a short but successful process... Agree 100% about the transmission, its a deal breaker for me in terms of keeping this bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate to add to this discussion because I "only" have 6600 miles, beaten the crap out of the bike on the TAT-Trans America Trail, and the only issues I had with the shifts was my own. Not fully pushing the shifter properly, being too soft, frankly being a "Jesse" as some in the UK might say. LOL. I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't think it's me but the two or three mis-shifts I had......were me.....not the bike. I don't have Pivot Pegs anymore but I did find those Pegs DID add (in my case) to my early mis-shifts when the bike had fewer then 1000 miles. Good luck chaps on your bike issues but try a little adjustment, some grease, and some muscle.

41 - 60 of 123 Posts