Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I guess have same problem. My second gear is shifting very loudly and between 4th and 5th gear have neutral :D is this relevant with oil type? I don't think so. It mustn't be sensitive bike as called an adventure bike...
Its just got a long throw to change gears, you either need larger feet, bigger boots, lift your feet off the pegs when changing (this depends on if you are sitting or standing or part way through falling off) or get yourself one of the shifter pedals where you can adjust the position of the knobby bit you push with yout boot. If you make that closer to the foot peg the throw will be less and you wont stuff up the changes. I consider my feet normal at size 14 but depending on if I have offroad or road boots on depends on what part of the foot is on the foot peg and that determins how you change gear. 1st to 2nd is slightly clunky going up in gears but its still as smooth as silk compaered to a lot of bikes I ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi doc
I drive a 09 bmw gs 1200 adv but was thinking of adding an at to my stable.did you get your problem solved.
my experience with honda was I bought a new 400 quad with ect same as dct ,it lasted 12 months false neutrals,crashing through gears only saving grace was it had 4 wheels when this was happening.my question is can you get one with manual transmission by that I mean the gear lever on the side of the box is linked straight to the gears and not through an electric gear shift motor
best regards
pat

·
Registered
225 Posts
To the people pretending this gearbox is fine and smooth, I might advise you to try a Triumph Tiger 800, since my switch to the Brits, I did 3000Km and that is a freaking smooth and flawless gearbox, it's really in another league there's even no need of the slipper clutch to do clutchless downshifts, I've never ever experienced such an enjoyable gearbox before.

The AT is a fine bike with lots of qualities, but the gearbox is not on par with what some other manufacturers do.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts