Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,
These new forums to me, make it really tough to search and find what I've contributed to and or asked about. One of you nice gents recently answered one of my posts or questions about the use of a McCruise cruise control but, for the life of me, I can't find when and where that answer or statement is. Frustrating!

I have tried to use the "search community" bar up top of this forum and, it does reveal some answers. But, they're dated to around '18. That's a bit old. I'd like more up-to-date info if possible, before I commit $640 to my door step from Australia. Stuff like, how long did it take from the time you ordered it, 'till it arrived at your home? Any shipping issues with this Corona crap in the middle of the worlds operations?

I'm looking to install it on my 5 week old 2018 AT/AS DCT. And, a second question, could the install of this McCruise potentially goof up, any factory warranty? I have an extended warranty on mine.
Scott

·
Site Vendor
40 Posts
You've posted here:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MOTORCYCLEiD,
Very much appreciated Sir. One of these days I'll learn how to navigate around on these new formats and be able to find what and where I've posted/answered/asked about. In the old formats, you could go right to everything you've said, on any post/thread.
Scott

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well gang,
I've ordered it and, it's on its way here. So far, outstanding service!
Scott

·
Site Vendor
40 Posts
MOTORCYCLEiD,
Very much appreciated Sir. One of these days I'll learn how to navigate around on these new formats and be able to find what and where I've posted/answered/asked about. In the old formats, you could go right to everything you've said, on any post/thread.
Scott
Don't mention it. It's easy - just click on your name and then "Discussions".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a McCruise about 8 years ago on a FJR1300, and it worked great! Seems like it was an all day project for me (much of it tearing the bike down and then back together), but I took my time. I recall the instructions being detailed and no issues with installation. I don't recall how long it took to be delivered, but I don't think it was all that long. I just bought a leftover 2018 AT, so I may install another one on this bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Installed an MC Cruise on my 18 ATAS. I love it. I had cruise on my Tiger 800 so was keen to get the Honda sorted

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have been seriously considering this. Would probably go with the slim controller. Decided to get my suspension sorted first. This is on my short list!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed a McCruise about a month ago and absolutely love it! I went with the standard version. I figured it would be easier to use with my left hand since I have a DCT and the backlit buttons are a nice touch. Instructions are thorough and installation was pretty easy. Bike (19 ATAS DCT) is much easier to take apart than my 18 Wing! While you have it off, might as well check for crud in your gas tank. Mine had it at a little over 3k miles, so I installed the Guglatech filter on the fuel pump while I was at it and only run ethanol- free gas now. So far, sitting at almost 5k and no issues. Ride safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the look of these but does anyone know if they would cause issues with insurance (as a mod that could affect safety) or the mot test here in the UK?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was getting ready to push the Confirm your order button, I went out and sat on the bike. I had my left hand on the left grip (duh!) and pictured myself trying to utilize either the slim line switch or, the conventional one on top. I determined that the one on top, would ergonomically be easier to use than the slim one based on the pictures of both of them and their placement in relation to the other controls on that side. I surely appreciate all the contributors on this particular thread. I should have the kit in about a week. Then, it appears the install should take the better part of a day. Then, the test ride. And that will have to be about 04:00 in the morning 'cause, our daytime riding temps at present, are hovering in the neighborhood of 105-110 degrees. Not real fun to ride, even for short distances in that kind of heat.

Scott

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cabled bikes also have a servo. That is why it is almost double the cost on non FBW bikes.
Unless I'm doing something wrong in the purchase/check out procedure in the McCruise website, the cost for a manual AT vs a DCT model is the exact same. $577.00
Scott

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unless I'm doing something wrong in the purchase/check out procedure in the McCruise website, the cost for a manual AT vs a DCT model is the exact same. $577.00
Scott
Scott, I don't think the transmission type is what is being referred to in "throttle by wire."

I believe the 2016 and 2017 models use throttle cables to manually accuate the throttle plates. I believe the 2018 and on rely on electrcial input and a servo motor to actuate the throttle plates, thus giving the ECU a bit more control over what actually happens, based upon your inputs with the twist grip.

I think (don't know) that the McCruise people have to supply a servo with their unit to make it work on the 2016 and 2017 models, thus the higher price. (and why I haven't done it yet...)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya know Beowulf,
You're right. I was thinking of a CLUTCH CABLE involvement in the cruise operation, not really the actual throttle cable(s). Yes, you make total sense. I'd have to price one out for a pre-'18 and see what the difference might be. Thanks for the correction.
Scott

1 - 20 of 30 Posts