Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first 1000km on a brand new bike I was so disappointed with this bike. It's pretty much unusable above 85km/h. The micro vibrations give me a headache within 30 minutes.

I wanted to give the forkshield fix a try before ordering a proper one or a higher windshield. I quickly made one out of gorilla tape and I can't believe the difference. It's like riding a whole different bike!

Honda should do a recall or something and fix this issue, because it's pretty embarrassing to have to tape up a brand new bike to make it rideable.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I rode my 2016 for 16,000 miles and never had a issue. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was. Heck there was less turbulence than my 2003 Wing that I had.
Then I bought a new helmet and BOOM there it was I bought the fork shield and now all is good again at any speed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After my first 1000km on a brand new bike I was so disappointed with this bike. It's pretty much unusable above 85km/h. The micro vibrations give me a headache within 30 minutes.

I wanted to give the forkshield fix a try before ordering a proper one or a higher windshield. I quickly made one out of gorilla tape and I can't believe the difference. It's like riding a whole different bike!

Honda should do a recall or something and fix this issue, because it's pretty embarrassing to have to tape up a brand new bike to make it rideable.
I can't keep thinking that Honda made that airflow on purpose. Adding the deflector seems to be an easy obvious solution for blocking the airflow, so if they didn't want air to flow they could have designed it similarly.
Could there be a reason for Honda to want abundance of air flow from the forks area upwards?

TBH it doesn't bother me much on my 2016 with my current helmet. Or perhaps I never tried blocking the air flow to compare...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m new to the ATAS but have already done 1800 miles and have fitted a fork shield as the turbulence on my adventure style helmet was real bad at higher speeds. Why did Honda leave such a gap ? Well on a hot day there is certainly an advantage to the gap as it keeps the rider much cooler, so could that be why ? In the UK the shield is only £20 and fits and looks well. Very quick to fit or take off so I plan to leave fitted mainly but in periods of hot weather will remove.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a similar experience and ended up taking the peak off my helmet. Then I made a cardboard fork shield to test if it would work and was pleasantly surprised it eliminated most of the vibes. So I just made one out of fiberglass and now I'm happy to be able to put my peak back on my helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Mihaiv - that's a real neat job. I would leave the gorilla tape on. It's better than my solution with Gaffa tape :) which has been on now for more than a month - if anyone can suggest how to mould a 3D version of this out of something more permanent I'd be very grateful
Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's astonishing how many different opinions and experiences about the (bad) airflow there are. I got perturbed (but livable) air with the stock screen, less so with the OEM touring screen, and less again with the tall V-Stream screen. I tried the fork shield and saw no perceptible difference. The V-Stream is wider at the top, which makes the smooth bubble wider across my shoulders and head.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
There is a shield being sold to replace your tape job !!!
If you mean the OP's tape job then yes he knows that and he says he wanted to try the idea before ordering one.
If you mean my tape job on the screen, then you may be referring to the 'visor kit' that Honda produce, and which I bought and which I found useless.
Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
I found the Honda "Visor Kit" to be relatively as well, but just have not taken the time to take it of and fabricate something that might work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I wear my dirt helmet with visor but no shield - then I don't notice it. But if I wear one of my street helmets with a shield - then I notice it. So I figure it must be hitting my body and then going straight up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts