Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up the bike Friday, rode it today, very nice!
However, when I went to hook up my heated gear pigtail, I noticed the tool box was empty.
Now I know the OEM tools are usually crap, but in the case of my old KLR, the spark plug socket is the only one that fits down in the recess, others are too thick, so most KLR owners keep it. Simply put, I paid for it, I want it.
Now the dealer is telling me it doesn't come with a tool kit, even though the manual says it does.
Did you fellas (or gals) get a tool kit with your AT???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmmm...

I picked mine up yesterday and looked under the seat. I don’t see a thing. I thought it was at least supposed to have an alen wrench.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 2018 ATAS has one - Toolkit is in a box which forms lid of battery container under tank on left hand side, so don't look under seat!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tool kit on my Adventure sport wasn't under the seat, it was actually inside the tool box. HOWEVER the consensus seems to be that bikes shipped to America do not get the full tool kit. (for some unknown reason) they either get none or one thats very limited in size. just one or two parts

This is taken from the parts fiche.. and includes the hex key that should be under the seat as well as the tool set box and tools. This for a bike sold in the UK and perhaps the rest of europe too.

The tools I got are:

fuse puller
screw driver +-
14mm plug wrench
wrench 10mmx14mm
wrench 14mmx17mm
eye wrench 19mm

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I checked mine out yesterday and my “tool kit” contained; 1 straightbladed screwdriver and a small plastic fusepuller device.
Under the seat was an Allen key for opening the little side compartment and then the tool box.
Hmmm, wonder why different people get different tools.
No worries as I am gathering up tools for which I might need to patch a tube or make adjustments out on the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah well, I just received my shop manual, so I can now put together whatever 'special' tools I might need by researching the manual.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Tool kit on my Adventure sport wasn't under the seat, it was actually inside the tool box. HOWEVER the consensus seems to be that bikes shipped to America do not get the full tool kit. (for some unknown reason) they either get none or one thats very limited in size. just one or two parts

This is taken from the parts fiche.. and includes the hex key that should be under the seat as well as the tool set box and tools. This for a bike sold in the UK and perhaps the rest of europe too.

The tools I got are:

fuse puller
screw driver +-
14mm plug wrench
wrench 10mmx14mm
wrench 14mmx17mm
eye wrench 19mm
You guys in the most litigious country in the world wonder why Honda don't supply an 'eye wrench' to the USA market ??? :grin2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Let's call a spanner a spanner! Before long we'll be referring to roads as pavements and pavements as sidewalks. Whatever next?

Edit: Bizarrely, I was replying to a post on wrenches vs spanners....but in the time it took to type this, it's disappeared!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Let's call a spanner a spanner! Before long we'll be referring to roads as pavements and pavements as sidewalks. Whatever next?

Edit: Bizarrely, I was replying to a post on wrenches vs spanners....but in the time it took to type this, it's disappeared!
That was me.. I deleted it. As what I was posting was factually incorrect.

when I posted the list of tools that came with my bike and as pictured in the microfiche image. I recognised that the OP was an American and I have never seen an American use the word spanner. So.. I changed it to wrench to avoid confusion. Because this is an American forum and the person asking the question is an American. (and courtesy costs nothing)

Now.. I still had the microfiche page open and glanced at it and guess what?

<snip>

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you look at the historical discussions both here and on Africatwin.org you will find that bikes in the U.S. come with squat, but outside the States come with the factory took kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2018 and nothing under the seat or in the toolbox by the battery. Contacted dealer and she had no idea what I was talking about but then said she'd order one. Never heard back from that dealer. Went to another dealer and they couldn't really help. Contacted Honda USA and they told me to go back to the original dealer. Knowing it isn't worth the effort I just dropped it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts