Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up some time ago here interested in the AT, but just went down and put a deposit on a 2020 Adventure Sports ES DCT. Should pick it up when funds clear next week.

Long time FJR1300 and Husqvarna TR650 owner with lots of street and adventure farkles, so now I'll be doing AT-specifc farkle plans including:
  • Side racks (leaning Touratech)
  • Panniers (either use an existing set of soft Wolfmanns or splurge for the Touratechs)
  • Top case bracket for existing Giv case
  • Powerlet install for tank bag/inflator
  • Givi Tank bag (I have a 602 and see it might work with some flange modification from this forum)
  • GPS install
  • Aux lights (use an existing spare set of 3" LEDs)
Once borders thaw from COVID--it should also warm enough to start heading through BC to Alaska.
20200411_191234b.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
You must be one of the original members. I would like to welcome you back to the Forum Ignacio. It appears it has been some time.

Congratulations on the selection of your new '20 ATAS ES DCT. It's a beaut!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
Hi and welcome back..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Likely going to go pick it up tomorrow with cashier's check in hand and take the long way home.

Been doing my research...looks like the options for sideracks are fairly limited at the moment and hopefully open up and resolve before Memorial Day. Powerlet, tank bag, and GPS looks to be my first projects.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
Hi and welcome
Post some pics of the new baby when you get her home..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked it up this afternoon and two hour tow-lander highway ride home. Fiddled a bit with a few settings, but going to actually need to RTFM on this one. Wow!

My last adventure bike was a Husqvarna TR650, so this bike is in totally a different league. I found myself comparing it to my Yamaha FJR more. And like any real bike that is going to be used--I was properly rained on at the 42 mile mark. I ducked in behind the windshield for the frog strangler and it protected me a bit. I'm 6'4"...I may think about the optional air deflectors. No sidebags on it yet, but noted in severe quartering and crosswinds...it was very neutral and predictable. Only had to put in a little rudder.

Fit, finish, and technical details of the instrumentation are very good and that TFT screen is VERY nice. Once I get it licensed and manual read--I'll go explore off-road a bit.

92356718_10216810742721725_811725093544656896_o.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First real ride with the bike and put 280 on the odometer over a mountain pass. Very smooth, predictable, comfortable, and upright. Less wind protection from my barn door on my FJR, but I expected that and did order some upper wind deflectors from Honda.

I arrived at my destination with 5 quarts of oil, supplies, and a toolkit I assembled at home...and 592 miles on the odometer. I was able to change oil in the driveway using an aluminum turkey pan, roll of paper towels, and funnel I found in the family cabin’s garage.

Learned that one need not take off the starboard skid plate, that a port side nutsert and bushing like to fall off and confuse you until you put it all back together, and I’m not sure yet if I’m a fan of a dipstick over a sight glass I’ve gotten used to on my FJR.

It’s been a while since I wrenched on a Honda and just looking things over while I was changing oil impressed me at their engineering and little touches. I think I’m going to like this bike!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts