Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite like the look of these. There’s limited choice for AT sizes, tubed. I do 100% on road, and would’ve preferred a 100% road tyre If I’m honest. This might be as good as I can get. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Administrator
2,101 Posts
If you do prefer a 100% road tire or at least close to it for the bike, the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II or Continental Trail Attack 3 might be a closer fit to that goal, fitting into that 90/10 On/Off-road category. But I would guess the Anakee Adventure would be a strong contender in the 80/20 category. This is a Michelin tire I have no experience with, but it looks like it seeks to replace the older Anakee 2 after Michelin took an odd turn with the Anakee 3.

I have ridden the Anakee 2, 3, and Wild and overall have a good impression of Michelin tires.

I do not have any first-hand experience with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, however, I did really like the Pirelli MT90 A/T.

I also really liked the Continental Trail Attack 2 that came stock on my KTM 1190 Adventure. I thought they performed extremely well on-road and better off of it than you would expect from a 90/10 tire.

Sorry that I can't give any direct feedback on the Anakee Adventure

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just put a pair on and have about 500 miles (805 km) and so far so good. Admittedly I’ve only done a short ride on a gravel road and comment yet on how they do in dirt.

They are great on twisties and grip well accelerating out of corners, are quiet at highway speed and this far are doing exactly what I bought them for.

I hope to have a better read out this weekend after getting them on the dirt, but again I like them this far.

Bookem

·
Administrator
2,101 Posts
Cheers. I didn’t think they did the AT sizes, I’ll have another look.
Definitely the rear tires is the harder to find, but both the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II and Continental Trail Attack 3 come in 150/70R18 sizes. Revzilla carries them in those size, but I am guessing other places either do carry them or can order them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Shinko 705 might be a good fit - cheap, come in the right sizes.
Bridgestone Battlax A41 - more like a sport touring tire
Kenda K678 Big Block Paver - relatively cheap
Avon TrailRider AV54 - I've used the TrekRider and they were excellent, I'd guess the more road version tire would awesome, too
Dunlop TrailSmart - similar to the stock tires on the AT
Continental TKC70 - 70/30 but I've read lots of reports that it's a great pavement tire

Plus a host of others. Plenty of 90/10, 80/20 or 70/30 tires to choose from.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. I pressed the button and went for the Michelin. I think tyres are very much a personal thing, and everyone’s opinions are valid. Not sure we have quite the choice here in the U.K. that you guys have. Most of my go to suppliers don’t have many of the suggestions in AT sizes?
thanks. Stay safe 👍

·
Registered
426 Posts
Must be your location. I had no problem getting a set in the correct size here in the US, 18 months ago. I bought them because we have 80% paved, 20% "improved" roads. I don't ride in mud or rocks.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Definitely post an update on how those tires work for you. They've been getting rave reviews and look like for most road and forest road riding they'd do the trick.

Thanks fellas. I pressed the button and went for the Michelin. I think tyres are very much a personal thing, and everyone’s opinions are valid. Not sure we have quite the choice here in the U.K. that you guys have. Most of my go to suppliers don’t have many of the suggestions in AT sizes?
thanks. Stay safe 👍

Reactions: daveywww

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve watched the videos, ordered the tyre irons, ordered the balance weights. Gonna fit them bad boys myself. I’ll let you know how it goes 🥴

·
Super Moderator
4,544 Posts
I’ve watched the videos, ordered the tyre irons, ordered the balance weights. Gonna fit them bad boys myself. I’ll let you know how it goes 🥴
That is a good exercise Dave. (y)

If you get good at it, you might be able to do a tire replacement side business. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the tyres on, wasn’t too bad. Only issue was putting the rear wheel back on. Had to wrestle with it for 30mins. All good.
Impressed with the tyres. Only done a few miles on road, but they feel solid. Saw some complaining about noise. I don’t think they’re noisy. More blocky off street ones perhaps, but not these.
I thought I was Rossi when I had road 5’s on my Vstrom. Think these will be similar. Give so much confidence on the twisty’ s 👍👍

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dave’s,

Apologies for my delayed review. I ended up having to postpone my ride by a weekend.

I took them to place called Switzerland Pass. It’s an 18 mile Jeep trail now, with several forest service roads that bran out. Some are more technical than others.

Bottom line: These things rock! I had them in mud, loose gravel and hard packed dirt. I ride fairly aggressively (the ATAS isn’t a 250cc dirt bike), used the Gravel setting and mode, but turned the torque control down to 3 and S2. They provided stability when the trail conditions changed on ruts, rocks and tree roots, but also allowed a proper amount of ”spin” when giving a burst of throttle.

Then on the way down home, again on pavement they hold their own, too. They may be a bit spendy, and I can’t comment on their durability yet, but first impressions are positive.

Hope this helps.
Bookem

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tested them on my trip to Nordkapp through various surface and conditions like highways, wet twisties, gravel, little offfoad. Main take-aways:

• very good endurance
  • tires still good after 10k rodtrip
  • front tire highway noise present
  • good behavior on wet twisties
  • ok on gravel
  • did some parts on TET

Picture after almost 10’000km

A582236D-9BAD-4FD4-89CD-1D084899AFD4.jpeg

·
Registered
504 Posts
Continental TKC70 & road attack 3 stick lick glue on pavement, excellent tires for hard pack dirt & great mileage on these tires. Best off road tire in all conditions, MotoZ adventure & damm good on pavement

·
Registered
2017 DCT, tricolore
52 Posts
Put the tyres on, wasn’t too bad. Only issue was putting the rear wheel back on. Had to wrestle with it for 30mins. All good.
Impressed with the tyres. Only done a few miles on road, but they feel solid. Saw some complaining about noise. I don’t think they’re noisy. More blocky off street ones perhaps, but not these.
I thought I was Rossi when I had road 5’s on my Vstrom. Think these will be similar. Give so much confidence on the twisty’ s 👍👍
I am curious to your experiance...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts